SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Help!
Video cams... what do you use?

I am very interested in showing videos of my planes, but want to know what you fliers use. Do you use the video feature on your digital camera, or a cam-corder? I've got both, so which is best?
I have videod planes using the digital camera, and put them on our computer, but the screen to view them seems very small, usually about 3x2 size. Is this good enough to post? How do you post vids?
Also, what mini cam/video do you carry on your plane? I've seen videos taken while the plane is flying and they are quite nice, I'd like to do this too. Thanks for any suggestions, recommendations, and advice.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:16 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,581 Posts
I use a comcorder to video my planes, then post them on Youtube. I then post a link on RCgroups to the Youtube vid.

On my planes, I use the Black Widow CCD video camera with its receiver connected to the analog input of my camcorder to take quality videos.
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I use my digital Camera, Casio Exilim, 7.2M... Works well for a Mellon-Cam (mounted on a hat), but an optical viewfinder is very handy for tracking a plane, if you are filming a buddy.

On cams w/o optical viewfinders, we've glued a tube (3/8" or so) on them for a sight... works surprisingly well.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Our digital camera is a Canon Power Shot A560, that does have a view finder. We've used it to video our planes, but have not posted them due to not knowing how yet.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:45 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Rusty

by not knowing how what exactly do you mean. Uploading? Formatting?

My dvd camcorder makes AVI files only. So I plug it into my computers video card and record into windows movie maker.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:11 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Getting our digital camera video to upload into the computer is easy, but how do I then post it to RCGroups? Do I do it the same as posting pics?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:21 AM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
I use a cheap little Aiptek ISDv digital camcorder,like 120$ plus an SD card.My videos are just O.K. but the AP video is quite nice.If my plane crashes with the cam onboard it won't hurt too bad if it gets destroyed(the camera).
I never did figure out how to embed video in your post like a pic so I just start a thread in videos-electric planes IIRC,then link to there in my regular post,
Bob

BTW My camera uses ASF files so I convert with Windows movie maker,and save it as an Mpg,with a small enough size to upload nicely,
B
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Last edited by Bobnormal; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Yep same as posting pics. Go to the video's section. Start a thread, upload. make a link to it in foamies etc...
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:26 PM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
post the video to Youtube, then copy/paste the url of the video in your post on this forum. The video will embed in the post and people can view it without leaving the thread, or wailting for huge downloads.

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:02 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Has anyone tried the Flip Video cam? Supposed to be idiot proof. Looks like it would make a good "melon cam."

http://www.theflip.com/
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:58 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Flip cam looks very nice, easy to use. If it were smaller/lighter I'd want one.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:09 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Rusty, if you're looking for something small, check out the 5in1, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421745. It's so small I mounted it on an old glasses frame. Video quality is ok. Actually, I guess it pretty amazing given the size of the cam.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Thats a nice small cam, would be nice to have.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Thats a nice small cam, would be nice to have.
It works well, but is hard to find now. Cons are only 128meg internal memory (not expandable, gives me about 6minutes video), and internal battery. Battery requires about 2hours plugged into usb to charge. Don't know how many times I have plugged it into laptop and forgotten and turned off laptop short time later, to find it not charged for the morning .

I am tempted by the FlyCamOne version2 at about the same price the 5in1 camera used to sell for. Just a little hard to justify at present.

Good thread on FlyCamOne2 and being compared against the 5in1cam.
Side by side video of flycam one, two, and edvr5in1, great to see video quality difference.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Last edited by Lakota; Mar 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:09 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Lakota... thank you for the link.