HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
110 Posts
Data
Wing Dragon/ Areobird Swift

We just placed our order for a Wingdragon from Hobby Lobby.. We have an Aerobird Swift. The swift seems a bit fast for my grandson. WHAT SHOULD I KNOW BEFORE WE FLY THE WINGDRAGON????? I found the swift flew better after I added some nose wieght. Glide was better, landings picture perfect. Any advice on either of these planes will be appreciated. I have some 7 cell batteries for the Aerobird Swift. They are 7 cells each. WILL they work (if we change connectors with the Wingdragon? The Swift as a 480 motor runs on 8.4 volts.. Will that voltage work with the Wingdragon? Thanks, Chief.
Chief Redelk is offline Find More Posts by Chief Redelk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:04 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,778 Posts
I believe the wingdragon uses 7 cell batteries also so your batteries should work.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:05 PM
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
I believe your wing dragon will fly much better with a 9.6V, 8 cell pack... but the 7 cells should run it okay.
rwhite0604 is offline Find More Posts by rwhite0604
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:50 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
The wing dragon comes with the 7 cell, 8.4 v batt. pack. You should be OK. The WD's stock motor is "approx. a speed 400 size" so it's a bit smaller/less powerful the the 480 in the AS, so that should be good for your grandson. It's generally, well regarded as a trainer, so again, should be good for your grandson the learn on. I'm assuming you ordered the 3 channel version.

Good luck and good flying,

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:15 AM
Joined Dec 2006
110 Posts
I thought I was getting a real 4 channel radio with the Wing Dragon. BUT now I see it's like the Cheap HOBBY ZONE transmitter. YET I am told it's 72 MHZ. I wonder is the reciever a real one that can be taken out and placed in another plane?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2006
110 Posts
Has anyone flow BOTH the Wing Dragon AND the Hobby Zone Swift? if so how do they compare? I read that the Wing Dragon needs an air hole drilled in the nose so that it will cool? Has anyone had over heating problems with the Wing Dragon?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:20 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Redelk
I thought I was getting a real 4 channel radio with the Wing Dragon. BUT now I see it's like the Cheap HOBBY ZONE transmitter. YET I am told it's 72 MHZ. I wonder is the reciever a real one that can be taken out and placed in another plane?
The Wing Dragon 4 has a real 4 ch 72mh system.....Wing Dragon 3 channel does not. The 4 also has a bigger motor and uses 8 cell batteries.

You can buy the Wing Dragon 4 and buy a 3 ch wing for it .....train with that then move on to the aileron wing and use it for an aileron trainer. this way you get the 72mh system and 2 types of trainers.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
110 Posts
I paid 109 for the Wing Dragon 3 thinking I was getting a great deal. I mis understood. I guess the Wing Dragon 4 would have been a LOT more costly.. OH well. Maybe in time I can use the Rudder servo and add ailerions, IF I need to. I may just allow the kids to learn on the Wing Dragon 3 and let them advance to the Swift.. The Swift with it's ailerons can make tight landings. With the added nose wieght it flies a LOT better than right out of the box..