SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2002, 02:00 AM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
T-33: T for Terrific!

Well now I know what everyone's on about! I did the suggested "clean up" of the intake and cheater holes, but didn't get around to doing the splitter plate. I also lined the exhaust duct with shiny drafting paper. I fly it with 8cell packs of 1700 or 2000 SC's. (I know I should be using CP's, but beggars can't be choosers, this is a LOW budget outfit!) Nearly finished the Canadian Black Knight scheme, did'nt what another T-Bird or silver-and-something scheme. Looks great in the air, and sounds great doing a high-speed beat up of the field. Impressed the gas guys at the field, I don't think they expected such spirited performance from a "hair dryer!"
Ragnar is offline Find More Posts by Ragnar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2002, 04:09 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
Looks great!! what equip are you using?
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 02, 2002, 05:28 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,319 Posts
Hi RAGNAR, Gee, I thought I had the first Red Knight 33 to hit the sky. Started painting mine this weekend. May be if I can keep working on it I can beat that great guy, sguty, and be the first to fly w/full ducts. How did you make the shield markings on vert. fin? Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Sep 02, 2002, 08:15 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,491 Posts
Ah yes, the joys of an inexpensive, decent performing EDF.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Sep 02, 2002, 06:32 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
Skyhawk: I'm using the stock fan and motor, micro servos, Jeti Rx, and 8 cell 1700 and 2000 mAh SC packs. The main mods were the ones mentioned here on e-zone regarding cleaning up/smoothing the intake area, and around the cheater holes. The other bit is the drafting paper I mentioned in the original post. I got the aircraft second hand, and I had to split it to do the mods, and the rejoining was less than smooth, so the drafting paper cleaned every thing up nicely, for bugger-all extra weight. I also used packing tape on the internal joins in the intake area.

Steve: All the markings are done with self adhesive vinyl. ("Contact" brand here in Oz) I cut the blue and white circles using a cutting compass. The squadron shields were just a white bit with the details paited on with acrylic paint. (The cheap kind used for folk art, work great, and much cheaper than "model" paints.) I still have to do the "Black Knight" script on the fus sides, but I'll just paint that straight on, too fiddly to cut out all the individual letters and then line them up. The tip tanks are also on the way.

BTW the photos I have of the original off the web are pretty low-res, and I can't quite make out the marking up near the nose, looks kinda like a "5" with the Canadian roundel in the bottom part, anyone have more detail?
Old Sep 02, 2002, 06:39 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,319 Posts
Ragnar, did You try www.aircraftresourcecenter.com . Click on gallery & walkaround. Steve
Old Sep 02, 2002, 09:38 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
Thanks Steve, just what the doctor ordered!!! I can see that it is the 75th anniversary marking. Also can see more detail of the squadron markings on the fin, so I'll touch that up as well.
Definately a very useful site!
Old Sep 03, 2002, 04:19 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Nice job and a great scheme makes a change from the usual.

I'm sure dangerous dan the Test Pilot man is right on it.

Heres Ians from Hastings also done in a neat scheme as well

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Sep 03, 2002, 05:05 AM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Hey Sluf, Ian finally got to maiden his T-33 last week. I've attached a picture that shows off his colour scheme rather well.

It's had about five flights so far, all very good. Seemed to impress the glow guys at the field. Pulls away stongly from a hand launch with no sag at all.

Setup: Standard Kyosho Fan unit, Astro brushless/sensorless 05 combo. 9 x CP1700's

Ian did extensive ducting mods and cleanups. Seperate aileron servos in the wings to cleanup the ducting inside. He also fashioned a foam tailcone and shroud for the motor wires.
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Sep 03, 2002, 02:47 PM
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Hi Heather.
Hey great to here the Yellow & Brown Peril has hit the blue stuff. There was an air of certainty that the lil darling would head skyward at Warp 9.

Nice Photo by the way.

Cheers Sluf7
Old Sep 03, 2002, 03:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,319 Posts
Hi Ragnar, glad The site helped. Ifelt the same way. I will be using a friends computer to log some picts. of my 33. The screen name will be St. Martin ll. Brought camera home today and will start shooting when the sun comes out. Did static run up to see if the ducts would be sucked up into the fan. After the clear coat tonite I guess it will be "run&throw time" this sat. How did you treat the foam before paint? I used silkspan. Best wishes, Steve
Old Sep 04, 2002, 09:04 PM
Adelaide, South Oz
Joined Jan 2002
10 Posts
this is Dan the Test Pilot for the T-33...

thanks for the props from ragnar and Sluf7... she was a beauty to fly... that first pic of my baby was just after she landed on our first real flight

Cheers Dan The Test Pilot Man
AeroDan is offline Find More Posts by AeroDan
Old Sep 04, 2002, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Hey,Hey Dan.
Good to hear it went well and it got down in once piece ya sure ya wern't chasing Mr Ragnar (Roo Rustler) round the field with it.

Ain't It graet ya throw it in the boot and go home unlike those other fella's

This might be you me thinks.

Sluf7
Old Sep 06, 2002, 07:59 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words. (Nick, Dan the test pilot was real choofed!)Here's the final pics, now its finished and clear-coated, so hope it stays looking good.
Steve, the only prep on the foam, was a quick sand to get rid of any mold marks. then I sprayed it with Tamiya Matt Black, RLM grey, and IJA grey.
When I finished all the markings, then I over sprayed everything with Tamiya gloss clear.
Old Sep 06, 2002, 08:02 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
And the underside: