HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2004, 09:55 PM
Joined May 2004
22 Posts
removing depron bow?

Hello,

Picked up some depron today to start building my first 3d plane.

I noticed that the sheet has a slight bow in it.

Is there a way that I can straighten it out?

Regards
XRayCharlie is offline Find More Posts by XRayCharlie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2004, 10:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,720 Posts
Place the cut out pieces between two flat boards and let set in the sun, perhaps inside of a large black plastic trash bag. You can also use a heat gun ,the ones used to shrink plastic covering material but be very carfule as you can melt the foam easily. I have used my heat gun to strighten out my Fancy Foam models in small areas such as the wing tips after a cart wheel. Apply slight pressure and heat the oposite side from the one are bending to .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 04, 2004, 06:49 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,903 Posts
Like charles says, it is very easy to overheat the foam which can at the minimum cause some surface blemishing and at the worse, melt the foam.

It is necessary to press the foam after heating it to make the straightening out permanent. It is easier to do this after you have cut the parts out.

The other option is don't worry about it and rely on the cross braces or carbon tube to straighten the foam.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 04, 2004, 08:57 AM
Joined May 2004
22 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the help.

Seeing as the depron is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, I think I'll see how bad it is after I put the rods on instead of risking damaging it.

Also, since the LHS doesn;t carry cf tubing I was wondering what the weight difference and other disadvantages there might be to using equivilant sized aluminum tubing?

Regards
XRayCharlie is offline Find More Posts by XRayCharlie