HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:24 PM
Fly, tinker, fly, tinker....
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
Question
Wicked Colors AB paint?

Anybody have experience with Wicked Colors airbrush paint? I'm updating some of my planes for better visibility, and I'd like to try the Wicked line of florescent paints. Createx says the Wicked line of paints have a "mild" solvent, and I was curious if anyone has tried these on foamies, resin, etc. Thanks!
numba is offline Find More Posts by numba
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:46 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
I have used AutoAir paints successfully on ABS, epoxy, polyester and vinyl ester RC sailboat hulls, but not foam. However, since it is waterbased and the reducer is only alcohol, as long as alcohol won't dissolve what you are painting it should be fine. I would test the surface with a reducer before painting.

Createx, Wicked and AutoAir paints are all owned by Createx and seem to be the same paint (although in different colors and marketed in different channels) since the application guides say they can be intermixed. IME, the fluorescent colors fade a bit over time, particularly if left in direct sunlight.

Be aware that you must clear coat any of them or the paint scuffs right off. I use a good two part polyurethane clear (a good respirator is a MUST with all 2K paints!) and polish with automotive compounds, swirl remover and glaze to get a mirror finish.

The key to getting a good job is to use their primer (white under light colors and black under dark colors) spray multiple thin coats as a base and then a slightly wetter coat as the final color coat (just short of running - this takes a little practice) so it will flow out and not be as grainy. Sanding between coats helps too.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher