HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2014, 05:57 PM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
I'm wondering if that is a design flaw or just not enough glue. Since I read of your plane's demise I've peered down my wings several times with a strong light. I'm wondering what type of adhesive was used. It wasn't over used that's for sure. I may make up a long brush and put some epoxy along the ribs to the end of the wing tube. That's about the fourth thing I've decided needed fixing since your crash. A friend who has experience with this plane says to just go fly it. They had no wing problems of any kind using an OS 160 in theirs. One way or another it is getting flown this weekend.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 08:11 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
547 Posts
I'd use thin CA. It penetrates better than epoxy and I've used it to strengthen many a questionably glued plane.
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Sep 08, 2014, 10:33 PM
Northern CA
Joined Feb 2005
107 Posts
I think it's an engineering problem. Here are some shots of mine with some of the sheeting removed from the bottom. You can see that the tie-in from the wing tube to the wing structure is simply a piece of 3/32" soft balsa that is split lengthwise into two pieces. The wing sheeting glues to these two pieces. The tube is secured through the ribs as well, but they're really fragile in this area due to their large lightening cutouts.
When the wing flexes upwards under load, the wing tube essentially stays in place (since it's secured through the fuselage) and the wing structure simply pulls away from it.

My initial plan, subject to change , is to build a box structure using 1/8" sheeting and 1/4" stock around the tube and carry it all the way out to where it intersects with the spar. I'll tie it in really well at that point. I'm also going to extend the lower wing sheeting out to the servo mounting box structure, and reinforce the ribs that the tube goes through. I think I'll also add some fiberglass cloth and epoxy where warranted to strengthen it further. All of this while trying to add only about 2 ozs lol.

And of course I'll finish the shear webs on this wing panel, the other panel is done.
JWink is offline Find More Posts by JWink
Last edited by JWink; Sep 10, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 02:27 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,397 Posts
That 3rd photo is frightening!
2oz per panel is going to be a challenge.

Given the amount of work required and the other questions regarding the design/construction of the rest of the airframe, perhaps it would be easier to just get a 2m Monolog 140 or EF Vanquish?
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:24 PM
Northern CA
Joined Feb 2005
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
That 3rd photo is frightening!
2oz per panel is going to be a challenge.

Given the amount of work required and the other questions regarding the design/construction of the rest of the airframe, perhaps it would be easier to just get a 2m Monolog 140 or EF Vanquish?
2 ozs was tongue in cheek, I'm sure that won't happen Would be nice, though!

Yep, definitely would be easier. I would recommend a Monolog or Vanquish over the Evolution if one doesn't have much building experience. The desire to dig in and make the required fixes to the Evolution would also need to be there. I knew about the problems with the Evolution before I ordered it, and was ready to deal with them. Plus I thought it would be a fun project, I miss building. Saving $500 over the cost of a Vanquish was nice too

The Evolution (from what some very experienced pilots have said) is a really nice flying pattern plane. Hopefully all the extra work will be worth it!
JWink is offline Find More Posts by JWink
Last edited by JWink; Sep 12, 2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
At a friends suggestion I stripped the covering from the root to about an inch inside the rib bays top and bottom and glassed them with 2 oz. cloth. This will bind together the entire wing tube assembly and should hold it all together unless things get totally out of hand. Now if I could just get the damn YS to start....

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey