SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
Factorywriggs
Joined Jun 2009
29 Posts
Build Log
Mam'selle 73"

After having many hours of enjoyment with my Mamselle 52", i have decided to build a larger version as i think that this Vic Smeed design is one of his finest and most attractive.
I will add photo's as we go through the cut-out and building stages, but to start with, i will suggest that if you wish to blow up or enlarge the plan for the Mam'selle 52" from a RCM&E free plan in one of the 1983 editions, ask the printers to enlarge it 141% and this will fill the paper size A0.
This model will be fitted with a Brushless motor with access to the Lipo through a removable lower cowl, keeping it tidy....
The formers are made from 3/16 medium balsa except the undercarriage former which i opted for 4mm ply.
All stringer slots were filed in with a home made spruce file using emery cloth and another wider piece of thin spruce to govern the depth of the slot which comes to rest when it touches the former producing a constant depth of slot.
The undercarriage will be clamped with a single nylon plate with slots to take the wire and the screw heads are accessible through the cabin.
The next stage, i will pin the crutch down to assemble and build up the upper half first.
I am contemplating putting the tail surfaces on closed loop, so the wire tubes will exit on the one side of the fuz for the elevator. Finally, it is worth mentioning that as the tail span is pretty big (somewhere around 30"), it will be worth the effort to make it removable , together with the fin, so i will cover this area when i get to it....
The Fuz upper half was built up on its crutch and then the tailplane was done next to sort out the fixing method for the tailplane. The location pin is made from a 6 swg piano wire epoxied in place once everything is sanded down.
The fin fairing will be next, so i intend to cover the centre with cling film so i can glue up th bits and sand to shape.
wriggs is offline Find More Posts by wriggs
Last edited by wriggs; Jul 08, 2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Adding Photo's
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Very nice start. This should be fun!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
800 Posts
You will enjoy the Mamselles as Vic smeed's design makes a nice model to scale up - I have built the original 38" free flight - still flying it at middle wallop vintage meets - 3 of 72" span versions - one used to give ATC cadets experience of RC - and an almost 3 times size at 108" span. With exception of the ATC model, I still fly all the others which vary in age from about 35 years down thru 25 for the others. The 108" model recently recovered. See my blog for pics and the videos of the 108" are here
Johns Mamselle (9 min 15 sec)

and
Mamselle (5 min 26 sec)

the early version is about 25 years ago taken with a VHS camera

enjoy
John
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:47 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
The Mam'selle is an absolute classic in any size and I am looking forward to following your progress on this build, should make a lovely model.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:57 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,549 Posts
>click<
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:43 AM
Factorywriggs
Joined Jun 2009
29 Posts
Mamselle 73"

Just adding a few more build pics for the models progress. The Elevator / Rudder has been enlarged for more authority and the fuz stringers all knitted together at the rear nicely. The present stage(s) in progress at present are the forward fuz infill sheeting which is sanded to contour and the cowl build with magnets.
The complete air-frame will be in its entirety before i can establish the final resting place for the servo's and receiver. There is more than ample space inside this cavernous beauty for the equipment, but i want to keep it as low as possible for stability.
Hopefully, i will have the fuz complete at the next posting.
Last edited by wriggs; Jul 27, 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Pics added
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,528 Posts
Baz, that's a very nice build. The pictures are great. Lots of attention to detailed fits. Excellent craftsmanship. Looks like you'll have a real winner here.
Maybe a silk and dope finish?
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
Factorywriggs
Joined Jun 2009
29 Posts
Mamselle 73"

Thankyou John! Perhaps you can give me some tips with reference to the silk / dope method. I have not covered a model with this as yet, mainly tissue and litespan for some of my past builds.
Perhaps you can suggest some good silk stockists as this method does sound appealing. I do have a final colour scheme in mind for this one.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,283 Posts
Hi Wriggs, im really enjoying your building, and bigger looks easier, mine were a really challenge.... thinking to build a new one larger!!!! What motor from HK are you using???
Cheers!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:02 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,809 Posts
Do you build your models while at work in some sort of Government clean room?

Very nice build!!!!!!

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:53 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,528 Posts
Baz, here is a source for reasonably priced silk that is suitable for medium to larger models.
post #81
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1843370&page=6
Finding coloured dope in larger 8 to 16 oz cans is getting hard.
Sig still has 32 oz cans of clear.

A good source now is Randolf at

http://www.randolphaircraft.com/

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:18 AM
Factorywriggs
Joined Jun 2009
29 Posts
The proposed Motor will be the Hobby King Turnigy D3548/6 790KV Brushless Outrunner Motor.
I have one of these in my Weston Cougar to good effect through a range of power requirements, the Turnigy 4s will accompany it in flight...

Regards Baz
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:24 AM
Factorywriggs
Joined Jun 2009
29 Posts
Clean room quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Do you build your models while at work in some sort of Government clean room?

Very nice build!!!!!!

Bill
Hi Bill
I wish.... my workshop is far from clean, one would say cluttered to put a finer point on it. I am actually ashamed of it and for this reason, take the models outside onto the yard or if indoors, surround the subject with Depron as a backdrop for the photo shoot. lol
I think it would be a good idea to open a "my shop" pictorial blog walk around to let us all compare our deluge of goodies...

Cheers Bill
Regards Baz
Last edited by wriggs; Jul 28, 2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding a pic
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:06 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
I must say I like the idea of a "workshop tour" thread Baz. Problem is I shall have to spend a day tidying mine up before I dare photograph it!!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:37 PM
Factorywriggs
Joined Jun 2009
29 Posts
Tidy workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I must say I like the idea of a "workshop tour" thread Baz. Problem is I shall have to spend a day tidying mine up before I dare photograph it!!
The thought of anyone trying or attempting to tidy their Den brings tears to my eyes.
The truth is " it will always still look the same at the end, as you move stuff around, the fact is that the things just change places"............... lol....