HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
848 Posts
I have a Sig 1/4 Cub, full wing, that I converted to a Super Cub. The modification and the fact it is painted added some weight to the plane, about 18-19 lbs ready to fly.

Motor is a Hacker A60-7S V2 on 10S. Motor swings a 20X10 prop and gives about 2500 watts. Flies real nice at 1/2 throttle giving about 10 minutes of flight time using about 1/2 the battery (10S 5000 mAh).

Sun Devil Pilots' PA-18 Maiden.avi (3 min 26 sec)

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:29 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Great reading this - I've had the two smaller Sig Cubs, 1/5th and 1/6th, both electric and both great flying models. I should go for the full set, but I don't think a 1/4 scale would fit in my workshop, condo building elevator or ittybitty wagon!

If you need field charging, you might want to look at a gas powered generator. I used to use a 100AH deep cycle lead-acid back in my 20 cell NiCad/NiMh days and it was something of a pain then with a mere 2300 to 3000mA battery capacity. One of my clubmates now flies only one battery size - 5S, 5000mA - one pack in his fixed wing floppydoppy model, two in series in a pretty big helo. He charges them with a Honda generator. Sorry, didn't take notes on its size or model - it wouldn't fit in my Prius (and might be more powerful ) - but he runs two chargers, at least one of which does multiple packs, off it.

When I flew my 1/6th clipwing, brushless ESC BECs were still a little dodgy for 4 energetic servo set-ups, so I used an incredible technique borrowed from the oily boys. Four AA sized NiMh batteries soldered into series and to a switch harness plugged into the receiver. It's amazing why something so cheap and efficient hasn't been marketed heavily these days

Brownout insurance. Our hobby must be on the up - sounds like when I bought a kitchen timer for $15 or so from Radio Shack and they tried to peddle me insurance for it, at close to the cost of the timer...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Great reading this - I've had the two smaller Sig Cubs, 1/5th and 1/6th, both electric and both great flying models. I should go for the full set, but I don't think a 1/4 scale would fit in my workshop, condo building elevator or ittybitty wagon!
D
You need to get an ittybitty pickup with camper like my S-10, it'll hold the 82" clipped wing (barely).

Quote:
Brownout insurance. Our hobby must be on the up - sounds like when I bought a kitchen timer for $15 or so from Radio Shack and they tried to peddle me insurance for it, at close to the cost of the timer...

D
Ironically, the insurance is the lipo version of your 4cell wonder, with the added convenience of throttle pass thru for those of us with only 4 plug rxs.

But the real need of insurance isn't lipo or esc caused, those have been working great for me since '96, my fear is caused by the need to switch over from my '96 JR 72 mhz FM radio which is a little worn by the years to a 2.4 ghz of which I'm not as up to date on all the little tricks that assure max safety.

We just had a fellow at our club field have his Quarter scale model imitate a chainsaw in the woods when his 2.4 ghz radio quit communicating for a few seconds. We're not sure what happened yet, which is why I'm a little paranoid over brownouts.

NIck
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 12:41 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,927 Posts
Brownouts/Lockouts and their causes are discussed a lot and often misunderstood. You can read some good FAQ's and installation guides for switch mode Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) devices on Dimension Engineering's website. Some receivers are more sensitive to dips in supply voltage than others. Early 2.4GHz recievers like my Spektrum DX-6/AR6000's often reset causing crashes when used with 3S lipos and four servos. Some current receivers are also sensitive. Using add-on switch mode BEC's or ESC's with built in switch-mode BEC's of adequate power for the number of servos is cheap insurance against brownouts. I had a brownout problem using five small servos and 3S lipo with the stock E-Flite 30 amp speed conrol that had a switch-mode BEC rated for only 700ma. Make sure that the switch mode BEC you use is rated for at least 1.5amps.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 01, 2013, 12:59 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Trying to be positive, Nowadays i only use Futaba radios with Castle Creations ESCs...

Why could obvious . My problems were caused by not sticking to my avoidance of 'new and exciting products' when 2.4 came along and my 72 Meg gear was a little long in the tooth. The Futaba latter would have lasted a while longer.

Now, why do I keep having this yearning for a Super Cub?

D
Old May 01, 2013, 02:04 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Why could obvious . My problems were caused by not sticking to my avoidance of 'new and exciting products' when 2.4 came along and my 72 Meg gear was a little long in the tooth. The Futaba latter would have lasted a while longer.

Now, why do I keep having this yearning for a Super Cub?

D
Hello Positive one

your method of *new* avoidance has worked for me.
My JR has started glitching on all of our models and seems to point to transmission weakness. None catastrophic mind you, just little elevator dips that give you the willies.
So I ordered one of the now thoroughly debugged DX7s with the full range rx and satellite rx, determined to be brave.
(I fly mode 4, so I *really* love this radio)
A range check of 50 paces and a good solid link made me braver. (30 paces listed as good in the book)
Now we have a few rock solid flights down to lvc with nary a problem and I'm feelin' pretty good. I even tested the fail safe (held on the ground) and got an instant connect when turning the tx back on. I also found out, if you didn't know, that DSMX receivers don't flash when power is interrupted.
As I write, we've converted over all of our ships now with zero problems even the little 40 inchers with the super cheap lemon receivers (5 for $26) have out of sight range and a failsafe that puts them in glide mode on loss of signal.
So Knock wood. It looks good.

re super cub: It's a nice ship, but why do you want to hide those lovely cylinders?

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
<<<re super cub: It's a nice ship, but why do you want to hide those lovely cylinders?>>>

Because I am b!@@&y awful at making dummy jugs!

I've built three varieties of J3, vice one Super Cub. As the latter was a 16" span rubber powered profile free flighter desing by the late, great Randy Randolph, I have urges to up the scale a little.

See attached photo for my 'inspiration' aircraft.

D
Old May 02, 2013, 12:05 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,304 Posts
Quote:
<<<re super cub: It's a nice ship, but why do you want to hide those lovely cylinders?>>>

Because I am b!@@&y awful at making dummy jugs!

I've built three varieties of J3, vice one Super Cub. As the latter was a 16" span rubber powered profile free flighter desing by the late, great Randy Randolph, I have urges to up the scale a little.
D
I can relate to that.
I'm just a little prejudiced since I had around 40 hours in a full sized J-3-65 and had a lot of fun in it before a wind storm took it out back in the 70's.

BTW if you ever want to do a large lite 4 cyl engine, I've been playing with stacking alternating big/little depron cutout layers for the cooling fins and when smoothed and sprayed silver, they look pretty good. (at least they're better than the molded bumps that come with sig's 1/4 cub)

Nick
RCG Plus Member