SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Jul 2002
533 Posts
Cool
F3B Instructional Videos

Guys,

US F3B team pilot and world record holder David Klein has recorded a few instructional F3B videos.

There are many videos ranging from what to carry on your tool box to plane and equipment setup. They are all awesome and to the point, my favorite is the one David has a small model tied to a line to show the launch dynamics.

Check them out here
http://www.teamusaf3b.com/?page_id=1386

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:38 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Thanks Glauco,

Tom Kiesling and I plan to add to these videos on a regular basis. I would like for this thread to discuss the videos, ask questions, and take requests for new videos. Let me know what you think?

video page http://www.teamusaf3b.com/?page_id=1386

Please remember to support our sponsors and our team by checking out our raffle page. Right now, if you buy $100 in raffle tickets, you get a 50% off coupon for castle creations products. http://www.teamusaf3b.com/?page_id=1163
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,034 Posts
Wow Dave, these are some great videos! Especially for someone who is just starting F 3-B this is some really helpful information. For anyone that is new to this task listen carefully to everything Dave talks about. There is so much to know and even though it might only be little tidbits that Dave is talking about it will get you going in the right direction.

Dave, it is really cool that you took the time to make these videos to give back to the community. Very commendable sir!

As you can see the F 3-B Team is trying to raise funds to go overseas to the world championships in Germany. It is an overwhelming task and the hours Invested are huge. Please show your appreciation to David's efforts and the team by Supporting them with raffle ticket purchases or apparel.

Last weekend I flew some F3B with Tom and Darrell, the two other team pilots. They are both flying extremely well yet critiquing themselves, and each other to get better and better and better. It is clear that all three team members will not settle for the status quo. They are determined to continue improving until the day they leave for Germany. Team USA will be very strong at the WC!

Thanks again Dave for the cool instruction videos.
Kyle Paulson is online now Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:09 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,505 Posts
Nice videos.

Great to see someone taking the time to explain things.
I need a weather proof box - it rains a lot in England.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:37 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,582 Posts
Dave, did you use the little glider from the world cup trophy for the launch video? Hope to see you guys at the memorial day comp.

Cheers,
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
Dave, did you use the little glider from the world cup trophy for the launch video? Hope to see you guys at the memorial day comp.

Cheers,
Reto
I did. It makes a great prop to explain launch/flight orientations....
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
I would love to hear input from everyone on what they would like to see in the next videos.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:04 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I would love to hear input from everyone on what they would like to see in the next videos.
I think stuff like how you hook the chute and how you put the line through the chord would be useful information to people.
I think a logical sequence of vids if from fundamentals like what you carry in your kit bag up to what you do once in the air. Flight are really hard to film of course.

Anything that you feel is good information to share.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:09 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,833 Posts
Quote:
I would like for this thread to discuss the videos, ask questions, and take requests for new videos. Let me know what you think?
I started this thread a while back and had a lot of hope for it.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374959
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Wow Ryan, I don't know how I missed that thread in 2011. Great reference point.
Satinet- I have already shot that video and will post it later tonight.

Thanks, and keep the requests coming.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:51 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,833 Posts
Quote:
Wow Ryan, I don't know how I missed that thread in 2011.
I'm going to make it a goal to go back and add your videos into the "idiots guide" thread and maybe bump it a bit.

I'm hoping to see F3B for the first time in May so this all has me thinking about it again.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
USA, CA, Vista
Joined Jun 2003
221 Posts
Mastering the "Hook"

David
Good job on the video;s
A couple of questions on Mastering the "Hook"
In a true 90 degree cross-wind ,,could you explain when you want to pulse the winch ,or even stay off till to reach the point that you want to transistion back up the into the Wind?.
Part two is ,,while your banked over if you start to come back up too soon,should you zoom towards the pulley or back into the wind..?
Or just yell -relaunch! !! and do it again right this time.. LOL
Dyno
Dyno Don is offline Find More Posts by Dyno Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:30 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,176 Posts
Don

For part 2, if you do it right, you should be zooming toward the pulley and into the wind!
Easier said than done, I know. . .

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:45 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Don, the dive part of the zoom should always be towards the pulley, no matter what. The line is what accelerates your plane, so you want to dive in line with it. To maximize your tension on the line, you need to be towing into the wind. Also,in order to maximize your energy when you pull up, you should be rotated (banked) so that you pull up with your wings perpendicular to the wind, and you pull up into the wind.

Don't waste too much time on figuring out how to salvage a flubbed launch. It all comes together easier when you tow into the wind to begin with.

Like Tom said, easier said than done. We like F3B because it is hard, and we are always learning.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:19 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,291 Posts
I'd like to see you run through all the tasks 1 at a time.

Really cool vids David.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp