HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:09 PM
Registered User
rcmaverick's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Discussion
Help! - Dynam or Durafly T-28?

I have a choice between a Grey Dynam T-28 (1270 mm) and a Red Durafly T-28 (1100 mm). Grey is the only one available.

I want to start doing some real aerobatics (not the 3D kind) but things like Knife edge, Loops, Inverted are these the right planes to do this?

They are both similarly priced on the HK Australia Store.

I like the bigger wing span of the Dynam but not sure if the grey plane will be visible on a cloudy day.

Durafly lot of complaints about nav lights and retracts..
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:19 AM
Teddy Ong
Teddy Ong's Avatar
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Dynam makes some exellent planes, and also bad ones.

I prefer grey to red, but i think red will help with orientation.

You can always paint it. just painting the tips doesnt cost much...
Teddy Ong is offline Find More Posts by Teddy Ong
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:20 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,641 Posts
Dynam has nav lights but they are not hooked up and it is a big job to do that properly. I can see my plane easily enough (Grey) Retracts are not real good in the Dynam either and most modify or upgrade them. All I can suggest is read the Dynam T28 thread through. It does fly very well after a few upgrades ie Prop and ESC . I also changed out some servos. The Dynam is a good size. It fits in the boot of my Accord if I fold the retracts up. They all have faults and I guess it depends on your experience with building to know what needs changing.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:10 AM
Registered User
rcmaverick's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Great found the Dynam T-28 thread. I have 2 other Dynam Planes - Hawksky and iCanFly and both are decent above average planes. I saw a video with those nav lights and I love them!
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:22 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
135 Posts
The Dynam T28 is not one of their better models..... I compare it to a Cadillac, it takes it along time to build up speed, but once it gets going it moves pretty good. The power system is weak and you will need a new ESC to run a 4 cell. Also, the bec is questionable if you hook up the lights and flaps, bye the way the lights are terrible. Be prepared to be contantly fixing the front nose gear, it bends even on good landings. You will also need to paint up the cowl or something, it's not hard to see on a blue sky, but against clouds it can get really disorienting. Just not one of Dynams better models.

I've never flown the Durafly T28, but I have the P51. Just based on the P51, I can tell you Durafly is top notch, although they fly a little heavy with all that gear on 1100mm and there wheels are fairly hard I might drop foam ones on them. Between the two T28's I would go Durafly.

Although, if you really want to mix it up.... Dynam Corsair is one of the best warbirds I've had a chance to fly. My friend has the grey Dynam T28 I can't tell you how many times he has offered it to me for the Corsair. Just something to think about.
Krash n Burn is offline Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:48 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
the durafly wont have as much inertia when it smashes into the ground lol, that was a joke im sure you are a great pilot. its a hard choice but i think i would get the durafly because it looks like its more polished.

and why it the motor kv so low? i thought war birds had high kv motors...
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
Registered User
rcmaverick's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
the durafly wont have as much inertia when it smashes into the ground lol, that was a joke im sure you are a great pilot. its a hard choice but i think i would get the durafly because it looks like its more polished.

and why it the motor kv so low? i thought war birds had high kv motors...
KV has no relation to the output power. Merely how many 1000 rpm per 1 volt. It then depends on the size of the motor and the input voltage (read number of cells).

In general higher output motors will have a low KV and the reason for that is the input power required is = RPM ^3 that is cubed. To keep the electrical and mechanical losses to the minimum the motor size is made larger and KV (RPM) low.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
I've had 2 of the Dynam T-28 and they fly pretty good. I changed my ESC to a 50A and run it on 4s with a 11x8x3 MAS prop.
I've also ran mine with the flaps and led lights that I wired myself without an external BEC and have never had a problem. The only problems you may have is with the retracts. I find that retracts with metal trunnions are way more consistent than the one with the plastic trunnions.

I've never seen the durafly in person, but FMS makes it so it should be also be a great flyer judging from their bigger 1400mm T-28 which I also have
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:24 PM
Registered User
rcmaverick's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention View Post
I've had 2 of the Dynam T-28 and they fly pretty good. I changed my ESC to a 50A and run it on 4s with a 11x8x3 MAS prop.
I've also ran mine with the flaps and led lights that I wired myself without an external BEC and have never had a problem. The only problems you may have is with the retracts. I find that retracts with metal trunnions are way more consistent than the one with the plastic trunnions.

I've never seen the durafly in person, but FMS makes it so it should be also be a great flyer judging from their bigger 1400mm T-28 which I also have
Never knew FMS makes Durafly. There are a huge number of PZ fans and dont want to hurt their feelings but the $350 price tag for a plane with less features does need a bit of explaining.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
Never knew FMS makes Durafly. There are a huge number of PZ fans and dont want to hurt their feelings but the $350 price tag for a plane with less features does need a bit of explaining.
yeah they'll say that the chinese planes are junk and you cant get any parts. I have all FMS planes and apart from a broken prop, I've never had the need to order parts.

I wouldnt recomment FMS planes to beginners though. Once you can land consistently without breaking anything then its cool. Beginners should stick with the PKZ stuff since they can get them at their LHS including parts
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:34 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
KV has no relation to the output power. Merely how many 1000 rpm per 1 volt. It then depends on the size of the motor and the input voltage (read number of cells).

In general higher output motors will have a low KV and the reason for that is the input power required is = RPM ^3 that is cubed. To keep the electrical and mechanical losses to the minimum the motor size is made larger and KV (RPM) low.
but they run on 3 cells right? thats still not very fast.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:29 AM
Registered User
rcmaverick's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
but they run on 3 cells right? thats still not very fast.
pitch x rpm = speed
volt x kv = rpm

hence

speed = volt x kv x pitch

so you will need to find how fast that is 3 cell =11.1 v

No one flies full throttle though...
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Durafly T-28 Trojan In The Snow thuribles Electric Warbirds 2 Feb 06, 2013 06:46 PM
Sold Dynam T-28 - LPU only Tampatexan Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 01, 2013 08:28 PM
Discussion Dynam or Durafly P-47? p3arljam Electric Warbirds 4 Jan 25, 2013 12:20 PM
Discussion Durafly or Dynam 1100MM P-51 p3arljam Electric Warbirds 3 Jan 02, 2013 09:22 PM
Discussion Parkzone T-28 Vs. Durafly T-28 Nomadtech Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 11 Aug 09, 2012 06:46 PM