HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
51 Posts
Discussion
Is it good buy this crawler?

hello!
Sorry for my bad English.

I bought my first car for use with FPV equipment. I see several cars, and I have offered for $ 500 the next.

It is good buy?

This is the leading equipment:
- Gecko-Pro Chassis Kit by RC Guy, direction on both axes.
- Axles Tamiya Super Clodbuster.
- hexagons Hot Racing 23mm adapters.
- CHEYENNE Proline Rims 23mm
- Proline MOAB XL wheels
- Electronic variable Novak Super Dutty for the engines.
- Two 55T Integy motors.
- Sprockets

Material not included: Transmitter, Receiver, Servos, Bodywork, and Batteries Charger.

bigalbert is offline Find More Posts by bigalbert
Last edited by bigalbert; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
depends on what you want to use it for, and where your located.

if your looking for a durable rockcrawler, this won't be very good. the old clodbuster axles were not that tough, and it's getting harder to get spare parts for them. the tires suck for crawler tires, the motors are decent but not really great, the esc isn't worth running (i'm a little biased as i don't like novak esc's. seen way to many burn up).

but if your looking for a truck to just drive around in the yard, it will work good for that. it's just not a great crawler by todays standards. and for the price,,,,, way high. maybe around $200 but then again, it depends on where your located. overseas prices are higher, here in the states, $500 is WAY to high.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
51 Posts
Thank you. Could I recommend some model?
bigalbert is offline Find More Posts by bigalbert
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
without knowing your location ( overseas models may be different), and knowing what your intended use is, it's very hard to recommend anything.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:59 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
500 bones for that crawler is a not so good buy imho . for fpv it will be bordem slow .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:38 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
Sounds expensive for what you're getting.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:34 AM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
I would really really really say no. You can get good rtr trucks new for less. Also what are you filming? For faster stuff you may want to look into a sct like the sc10 or slash. If you really want a crawler and dont want to spend much go with a red cat.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
Actually here is a good truck. Its not a rock crawler but it is a good platform to use http://www.redcatracing.com/GroundPounder
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
That looks like a pretty cool truck. Can it be built up or added to? Bigger better motors, tires that sorta thing? I think I'll pay the local track a visit tomorrow. Just see what they have. I'm looking to get something in the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range then build it up from there. I know nothing about these things.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
Yes you can do a lot of upgrades. Things like motors and tires are too easy. There are more things in rc that are "universal fit" in the same scale class and rc type than you would think. A lot of crawler and live axle monster truck stuff can either be easily swapped or swapped with minor modification. A good example is a popular upgrade on a lot of 1/10 shafty crawlers and scalers is to install traxxas drive shafts off of revos. My axial scorpion has the smaller half of vxl stampede shafts in it right now. Direct fit
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:36 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Sounds cool as hell but ya lostme right off the bat. I know absolutely nothing about these things. I just thought I could get one to drive around out here in my woods. Up the path to my nephews. That sorta thing. Oh ya with a FPV.

Tom
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
Yeah it would be great for that. Also look up axial racing. They have some great trucks.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Went to look at some of the axial cars. Got some nice stuff. Heres one I was looking at. The prices arn't bad. My quads and heli's and planes cost about the same or more. I want RTR that way I don't have to add anything. All in the box sorta thing. At my age I like things a little easier.

Tom
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-Ripsaw-Tires
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
145 Posts
I really could name a long list of rigs that would fit in the range that you are looking for. The wraith is one of the most popular. Really it starts to come down to prefrence in most cases. Other companies that make competent starter rigs are Losi, Tamiya, Redcat, HPI, and Kyosho. Just to name a few. There are a lot more out there some are cheaper and some are more expensive. Also never rule out searching craigslist under toys and games using key words rc and or crawler thats where I found my axial scorpion! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794698 (shameless plug) But always get details on the truck and do research before buying off of craigslist I have seen people trying to pass off toy grade trucks to newbies
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Went and talked to the guy that lives up the road from me. He has a track setup in his yard. Well out here yard is kind of a funny term. We all live in the woods. More jungle than yard. Anyway he has a really nice track. Over a 150ft long and about 50 or 60ft wide at least. He's into the dirt track racing RC cars. Lots of hills and jumps. I'm still looking at the rock crawler type cars. I think those will be more my speed. I can play with them out here in the woods and under growth.

Tom