HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:06 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Well, got mine finished up yesterday and took her to the nearest park. Brandon, you are my new man-crush....I absolutely love this plane. My buddy maidened her, since he has several years expwrience...and I only have months. Even he had to land her cuz he was so excited. His exact words were, "Dude, you gotta make me one of these!!!". I used the gold turnigy 2200kv motor, an apc 6x5.5 prop, and a 3S 1800mah. She even survived a couple of hard landings.

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1349532318429.jpg
Views: 149
Size: 153.2 KB
Description:

The black tape is right at the CG line, allowing me to easily identify how hard she is going to be to fly. It also helps with the decoration, double whammy.

Here's a vid for ya! I wanted to edit out the cartwheel at the end, but figured it better to show off how it handled without even having carbonfiber reinforcement.

Scratch built flying wing (2 min 19 sec)
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Last edited by Swammy1979; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:15 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Got a question for those experienced with wings.

I have expo set-up and pretty large control throws, but even full elevator only gives with a 20-30ft diameter loop. I want tighter.
Is this possible, or are large loops natural for deltas?

I stripped out one of my cheap aileron servos. Luckily it was on the ground.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post

I have expo set-up and pretty large control throws, but even full elevator only gives with a 20-30ft diameter loop. I want tighter.

I had the same issue, but was able to shrink the diameter of my loop by playing with the throttle mid-loop. I think the issue is with the delta wing in general, based on how far back the control surface is from the center. Think of it as a fulcrum: the further back the elevator, the more effect it has on the horizontal movement. Call it a flaw if you will, but I personally like it.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:40 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
I had the same issue, but was able to shrink the diameter of my loop by playing with the throttle mid-loop. I think the issue is with the delta wing in general, based on how far back the control surface is from the center. Think of it as a fulcrum: the further back the elevator, the more effect it has on the horizontal movement. Call it a flaw if you will, but I personally like it.
Yes throttle management is a huge factor for a tighter loop. I like doing a death dive and going fast as hell and then pulling up. Thats just my style I suppose but speed seems to help. but the roll rate is awesome!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:43 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:

I havent tried it but maybe a degree or two of down angle on your motors attack angle might help?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Well, got mine finished up yesterday and took her to the nearest park. Brandon, you are my new man-crush....I absolutely love this plane. My buddy maidened her, since he has several years expwrience...and I only have months. Even he had to land her cuz he was so excited. His exact words were, "Dude, you gotta make me one of these!!!". I used the gold turnigy 2200kv motor, an apc 6x5.5 prop, and a 3S 1800mah. She even survived a couple of hard landings.

Attachment 5210449

The black tape is right at the CG line, allowing me to easily identify how hard she is going to be to fly. It also helps with the decoration, double whammy.

Here's a vid for ya! I wanted to edit out the cartwheel at the end, but figured it better to show off how it handled without even having carbonfiber reinforcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzjD...e_gdata_player
nice job swammy!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
built a smaller combat one!

It's pretty windy right now and even though its simple enough to make one of these babies I would rather try its maiden in calmer weather! Plus this one I colored with my little girls so its a work of art too and pretty special to me. this is a 25" span and 15'" cord. bamboo reinforced Leading edge a 1500kv Emax 20A esc and an 800mah 3s spinning a 7x5 apc. I used the CG calc and got CG of 6.75" from the nose. The winds are supposed to die down to day so maybe i can try tonight or tomorrow??? Happy Flying y'all!

MArc
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:11 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
It's pretty windy right now and even though its simple enough to make one of these babies I would rather try its maiden in calmer weather! Plus this one I colored with my little girls so its a work of art too and pretty special to me. this is a 25" span and 15'" cord. bamboo reinforced Leading edge a 1500kv Emax 20A esc and an 800mah 3s spinning a 7x5 apc. I used the CG calc and got CG of 6.75" from the nose. The winds are supposed to die down to day so maybe i can try tonight or tomorrow??? Happy Flying y'all!

MArc
Cool. With the paper backing, there is always coloring instead of decals/colored tape.

An artist with some color pencils/ markers could make a pretty cool looking plane. Like a hawk or something.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:12 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Cool. With the paper backing, there is always coloring instead of decals/colored tape.

An artist with some color pencils/ markers could make a pretty cool looking plane. Like a hawk or something.
challenge accepted!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:06 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
I ordered the esc, prop, and motor today for my 40" build.
motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail

I'm gonna use the 9x4.5 for 42 oz of thrust.

My bare airframe now weights about 16oz. I think with all loaded up, and with fpv gear, it should be around 30-35. From there I will decide my camera configuration. Ideally, I'd like to do my board camera for fpv, and gopro as recorder, but I have done most flying by gopro alone, so I'm ok with that too.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:04 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Hey everybody, nice joball around. Congrats to Swammy for a great maiden flight!

I flew my 60" wing today. Weather was crappy and wind gusts were all over the place, which made the first flight without gyros pretty tough. Once I switched on the gyros, though, flying became a lot easier. This wing has tons of lift....even at close to 30 ounces, I feel like I could carry more weight. It can climb pretty quickly, fly real slow, and has a nice glide. I went with an inverted v-tail for this build... For the smooth flying characteristics and nice banking turns.

Here's some video. I'll post detailed pics later.

Big 60-Inch Delta Maiden Flights (RC Plane, flying wing, KFm3 airfoil, gyros) (4 min 27 sec)
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ibillwilson; Oct 08, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:57 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Loving the flight characteristics of that bird, ibillwilson!! Makes me want to build a doublesheet of dtf. I've been told I fly like an old man, so the gliding would be perfect for me. How do you join the sheets together?

On a side note....I would like to give a testament for this plane. Yesterday while having a bit too much fun at the park, I brought my plane in a straight 90 degree dive with WOT from about 500 feet up. The intent was to sweep the ground and screem across the field, but that didn't go as planned. Of course I blamed the equipment...but we all know how that goes. Anyways...the surprising thing is: this thing came in sooo fast, and hit so hard, I was SURE she was destroyed. Checked her out, and aside from a broken servo (a cheapie stock servo from one of my rtf's), she was ready for action! Nose was a bit crumpled, but she could have gone back up in the air after a servo replacement!

Since it was so easy to build, and I already had another frame built at the house, I scavenged the electrics and put them in a new frame. This one will be a little heavier due to larger servos (no more 9g's in stock), but based on my experience with v1, it won't be much of an issue.

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1349714761514.jpg
Views: 194
Size: 53.9 KB
Description:
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1349714796006.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 47.9 KB
Description:
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1349715014939.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 62.5 KB
Description:

Modifications / improvements made over v1:

- inch of foam between esc and battery
- velcro lining entire bottom of battery compartment
- velcro strap to secure canopy
- velcro strap to secure rx
(I love velcro, btw)
-sliced thru foam, stuffed servo wiring, hot glued thin layer on top so that I wouldn't have dangling wires

Specs
-----
- 3s 2200mah batteries (on sale at hobbypeople for $9.99) NOTE: She can run on 2s with a 7x4 prop, but not as fast...still maneuverable
- turnigy trust 45a esc
- turnigy 2200kv motor
- apc 6x4e prop

Taking her to the park right now to see how she flies!
Last edited by Swammy1979; Oct 08, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Yep, these things do handle crashes pretty good.

I was practicing flying inverted yesterday, and I lost orientation. I cut the throttle, rolled it upright, and gave it full up elevator. Just as it was leveling off, it hit the ground.
POOF! I love the noise these make when they hit the grass. Sounds like a piece of paper being dropped. As opposed to any other plane hitting the ground at a high rate of decent making the sickening thud or smack.

I like how I can land too. I've been unable to stall mine so far. I just come in for a landing, kill the motor, and give it full up elevator. It comes in at about 45 degrees and poofs into the grass.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:37 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
challenge accepted!
sneek peek
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:52 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Loving the flight characteristics of that bird, ibillwilson!! Makes me want to build a doublesheet of dtf. I've been told I fly like an old man, so the gliding would be perfect for me. How do you join the sheets together?

On a side note....I would like to give a testament for this plane. Yesterday while having a bit too much fun at the park, I brought my plane in a straight 90 degree dive with WOT from about 500 feet up. The intent was to sweep the ground and screem across the field, but that didn't go as planned. Of course I blamed the equipment...but we all know how that goes. Anyways...the surprising thing is: this thing came in sooo fast, and hit so hard, I was SURE she was destroyed. Checked her out, and aside from a broken servo (a cheapie stock servo from one of my rtf's), she was ready for action! Nose was a bit crumpled, but she could have gone back up in the air after a servo replacement!

Since it was so easy to build, and I already had another frame built at the house, I scavenged the electrics and put them in a new frame. This one will be a little heavier due to larger servos (no more 9g's in stock), but based on my experience with v1, it won't be much of an issue.

Attachment 5215913
Attachment 5215914
Attachment 5215922

Modifications / improvements made over v1:

- inch of foam between esc and battery
- velcro lining entire bottom of battery compartment
- velcro strap to secure canopy
- velcro strap to secure rx
(I love velcro, btw)
-sliced thru foam, stuffed servo wiring, hot glued thin layer on top so that I wouldn't have dangling wires

Specs
-----
- 3s 2200mah batteries (on sale at hobbypeople for $9.99) NOTE: She can run on 2s with a 7x4 prop, but not as fast...still maneuverable
- turnigy trust 45a esc
- turnigy 2200kv motor
- apc 6x4e prop

Taking her to the park right now to see how she flies!
damn they is some big ol servos! looks good! howd she do at the park?