HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:30 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Could well be.

Or maybe they just pulled a SSS off the shelf, found the spar rod was missing... and couldn't get their own Customer Service Dept. to ship them one no matter how hard they tried? Maybe their Customer Service Dept. kept asking them to send in pictures of the box without the spar in it, and then took weeks to get around to examining the pictures, and then promised to get them the spar, and then sent nothing for the next three weeks, and didn't return phone calls, emails, etc. etc., and the deadline for shooting photos for the ad arrived before they had a chance to threaten to cancel the charge on their credit card? So they shot the photos without the spar?

There have been documented cases of that sort of thing happening, you know. Looks like no one, but no one, is immune.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post18216784
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post18291406
LOL.. L.A, you are funny too! THAT was deep. I feel your pain. You can express yourself. Everybody else does. Well, as long it's not in every post you're fine. But somethings telling me if you buy this LLLaastt time you will be fine. But have your wife's name on it instead
Change it up a little
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Started building my SSS. I see what the posts on this thread ment about the control cables being to small, however, I went to my LHS and all I could find was 36" lengths of piano wire. These seem to be about 2 inches too short. all of the other premade type control rods from dubro, ect, seem to be only 30". Where are you guys finding longer lengths of piano wire?
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,066 Posts
Done with this thread.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:21 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Started building my SSS. I see what the posts on this thread ment about the control cables being to small, however, I went to my LHS and all I could find was 36" lengths of piano wire. These seem to be about 2 inches too short. all of the other premade type control rods from dubro, ect, seem to be only 30". Where are you guys finding longer lengths of piano wire?
Sullivan 36" golden rod, with the screw on connectors for both ends they fit just fine. got them at hobby town usa
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
A Hobbizone Champ (Tiny RTF plane, 3- channels, about 18" span, runs on one 1s 3.7V 135mAh LiPo, sweet flier) has carbon-fiber pushrods. On either end are piano-wire bent ends that are held on with CA glue (or epoxy) and the joint covered with very small shrink tubing. I might do that to mine, getting some 36" carbon-fiber rods, putting them inside plastic tube housings (does the SSS have plastic tube housings?), and putting metal ends (possibly Kwik-link rods) on either end, like The Don describes above.

Kwik-links have been good pushrod fasteners for 40 years now. Kinda hard to get on and off the servo or control horn, but you can tell visually when they are on and fixed, very adjustable, etc.

You can also solder two lengths of 1/16" steel wire together, if you use a good rosin flux (don't use acid flux) and if you have a good iron.

Alternatively, it's probably possible to join two pieces of 1/16" steel wire (on one piece and a Kwik-link rod) together with epoxy and a shrink tube. First use medium sandpaper (80 grit or so) to rough up each end (gives the glue something to grip), maybe bend one in a U shape with the extra part about an inc long, lay the other next to the U, coat with epoxy, let harden, then put the shrink tube on and heat-shrink.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 01, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Bitter much? Both links involve you, one over a year old.

This thread is about the plane, and you seem to want one but can't get one. If you want to trash the company or complain about their service, do it in their thread, or keep updating the ones you linked to, or start another one in Vendor talk. It doesn't belong here.
Fair warning. That sort of thing has apparently going on with BH for many years, according to several people who warned me.

I will report in detail my next transaction with them, good or bad.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
(moved to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741192 )
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Sep 27, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Sullivan 36" golden rod, with the screw on connectors for both ends they fit just fine. got them at hobby town usa
golden rods or golden cables? I looked at the golden rods, but I have never used them before, and couldn't really understand how they worked. Like, if you only used the inner sleave of the golden rod and slid it inside the sleaves that are preinstalled on the SSS ???? anyway8 bucks seamed a little expensive, so I looked at the golden cables, got more confused and would need 2 packages at 7 bucks each. so I came home with some .047 piano wire. fits the SSS's sleaves and servo horns perfectly.........but they are 2 inches short anyway, I'll get some of those threaded ends that can be soldered onto the ends of the piano wire and just use clevis's on each end instead of ez connectors.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
golden rods or golden cables? I looked at the golden rods, but I have never used them before, and couldn't really understand how they worked. Like, if you only used the inner sleave of the golden rod and slid it inside the sleaves that are preinstalled on the SSS ???? anyway8 bucks seamed a little expensive, so I looked at the golden cables, got more confused and would need 2 packages at 7 bucks each. so I came home with some .047 piano wire. fits the SSS's sleaves and servo horns perfectly.........but they are 2 inches short anyway, I'll get some of those threaded ends that can be soldered onto the ends of the piano wire and just use clevis's on each end instead of ez connectors.
No these are gold-n-rod there #2 steel rods threaded on each end,comes with plastic tube that goes in plane first,then rods go thru them,they also come with 4 golden threaded connectors,one for each end. pulling out the old plastic tubes was a pain. i had to take a rod and run it down the side of existing tube to break the thing loos enough to get it come out as they have glue on them.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
(moved to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741192 )
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Sep 27, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
The ads say that the stock SSS comes with an 8x6 propeller. You fellows who have received your Super Sky Surfers, can you say if that's the biggest propeller the plane can handle, without modifying the motor mount? Do the prop tips come within, say, 1/4 inch of the fuselage?

Would I need something to raise the motor up "higher than stock" to put, say, an 8-1/2" or 9" prop on it?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:18 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Just got an email from Banana Hobby. It was a response to the Customer Service form I filled out. It said Yes, they have stock in both the ARF and RTF versions of the SSS, and that all orders must be placed on line (including mine, to go there and pay cash). And it said that for local pickups they need 2 business days to process and order before setting up an "appointment" date and time.

So I guess that blows my hope of doing this tomorrow. Oh well. I have no real problem with this, as long as the store lays out somewhat reasonable terms (which this is) and then keeps their promises. Though of course I want the plane oh-my-gawd-right-this-instant-if-not-sooner. Guess it means that I have to wait until at least Monday (or Tuesday) to even make an appointment to come by at a later date.

Well, so far so good. If they make promises and keep them, I ask no more from a store.

Though of course if another store had the same plane for nearly the same price and said I could come there any time without and appointment and buy the plane right now, then I would give my business to that store instead of BH. That is competition, the other is keeping promises.

But BH is the only place that has this plane... which means BH is out-competing the competition, at least for now. I have sent them my order, and will of course keep MY promises.

More to come!

You can keep updating til the cows come home, but why litter this thread with your comments on the customer service interactions when that has nothing to do with the plane, how it's built, how it flies etc. BH has a well established customer service history, it's something that's been beaten to death. But flog away if you will, I just think it's completely off topic to this thread. Why don't you start a new thread in Vendor talk?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
You can keep updating til the cows come home, but why litter this thread with your comments on the customer service interactions when that has nothing to do with the plane, how it's built, how it flies etc. BH has a well established customer service history, it's something that's been beaten to death. But flog away if you will, I just think it's completely off topic to this thread. Why don't you start a new thread in Vendor talk?
Agreed 100%, move it to the vendor thread.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
I agree with your point. I'll move them there.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
A wing and a prayer
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2010
72 Posts
Trigger Pulled. I hope it fits in my Jeep Cherokee.
keok is offline Find More Posts by keok