SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Help!
Beast 3D help

I just bought the EFlight Beast 3D. They sold me the wrong charger as it did not come with one. As I am impatient, I attempted a quick takeoff with a brand new battery, I assume it had about 50% charger or more. controls seemed good on pre flight inspection but upon takeoff, it spun left hard. Any attempt to trim ended with the same result. Everything looks good other then a chewed up nose and a wheel well falling off. Any advice as to why this is happening would be very helpful. I probably have a week or more before I get a charger and I'd like to have some idea as to why this happened before I get out there again. I dont think it could have been from using the uncharged battery based on the fact that it had plenty of power to get up quickly. But, I've been wrong before. Thanks in advance!
beerow is offline Find More Posts by beerow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
First posts FTW!!!

Did you make sure it was still when you plugged in the battery? The AS3X will initialize and assume whatever acceleration it feels is what being motionless feels like. So if it's not really motionless, once it gets in the air it tries to fly in a way that recreates how you were moving it as it powered on.

To practice slow piros on my mcpx I will actually power it on while yawing it, so that it spins slowly without control input for that flight, rather than use trim. Just because I can.

Good luck, love the beast 3d. Make sure to stiffen up the elevator, and I'd recommend cf rods on the leading edges of the wings, to help with the inevitable tree strike. Also, throwing a 5x3 prop on the stock motor, or a 5x4.3 on a beast v1 motor gives you more power for those hovers or uplines. (maybe wait till you know it flies and you don't have to return/exchange it before modding)

Hope it helped.
willr001 is offline Find More Posts by willr001
Last edited by willr001; Jun 28, 2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Noticed it was both of our first posts. First posts ftw!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. I definitely tried to keep it still because I did read that. But, does that mean it has to be level for it to be correct? I may not have been on perfectly level ground when it was initializing and there was a little wind. The intensity I the spin was great though, which is why I'm concerned. It seemed like there was something wrong with it. Hopefully I don't have to wait to long for the charger so I can get out there soon. Thanks again for the response!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
Other than that the only probs I've seen involve fairly obvious things like loose or broken wing supports, control horns pushed up the pushrods, elevator creased at the center thin part, etc. The little servos can be prone to jitter or binding also. I could see a bent shaft maybe causing some severe torque, but I'd imagine it would vibrate like mad, too. I dunno, that's tough. Do all the surfaces move correctly on the ground, both from TX input and from tilting the airframe to check the as3x directions. It's possible the roll direction is backwards. To fix, you'd have to either reverse the servos or the servo motor leads or something. I dunno, it's tough with the little guys, especially with the computer doing things too.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Sooo, I got the charger today, they found one under the counter (go figure!). Took it out and it did the same thing although I realized it was opposite controls. I guess I'm an idiot because it took me this long to figure out that my ailerons were reversed on the transmitter. Not sure why it was like that out of the box, but it was obviously my own fault.
Once I figured that out, it was flying decent. There was a lot of wind do it was tough. Only problem I had was it kept dead sticking. Not sure why, I shouldnt have been out of range.
The fragility of the beast is the only real issue I have with it so far. Each belly landing in the grass seemed fragile enough but resulted in some wing breakage. I used some tape to hold it together but it certainly isn't the easiest plane to tape!
Now my question is, is there a glue that works better then tape? I know super glue will eat the styrofoam. I don't mind using tape but it was very difficult to get it in the space I needed because of it being a biplane.
Looking forward to my next flight!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
I'm officially pissed off. Just took it out to and it completely dead stocked again, plummeted straight down and busted all up. Not impressed, and very disappointed.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Dead sticked. Damn auto type.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
Call horizonhobby and let them know what happened. They're really great. Except sometimes they ship defective boards. At least they stand behind them. Sorry about the bad luck. :-(
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for all your help! I just contacted Horrizon and the support was very nice. Glad to hear that Im not the only one this has happened to! Hopefully they get back to me soon and are able to send me a replacement. I really appreciate you responding and the advice you've given!