SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
[QUOTE=hankster1225;23639439]I’m not a very active member here on RCG, but from time to time I will glance through the threads checking to see if there’s anything new or interesting. Admittingly I’ve only read a few post on the MJX-F45, so my knowledge of this helicopter is limit. When I was learning how to fly, the only cheap trainer helicopter out there at the time was the Esky Honey Bee FP. Like the F45 is now, the Bee in its day was a tinker/modders paradise. Sadly by the time the F45 came out I had already move past 300 size fixed pitch helicopters.

Anyway, to the point of my post. I for one think it’s super cool that a few of you guys are turning your F45 in to 450 size beasts. Not all of us march to th
ee same drum. I and a few others went down this road a while ago and had a lot of fun building a fixed pitch 450 size helicopter. I’m not much into FP helicopters these days, but wanted to post links to my two FP450 build threads in the hopes the builds might help out other Tinker/Modders.

Fixed Pitch 450
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=262663
Flybarless Fixed Pitch 450
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=332723[/QUOT]

Hankster I have to say your conversion is part of my inspiration. In fact I have had your two threads saved in my favorites for awhile now, and posted the link to the first one here recently. OldOz re-lit the fire with his F45/450 and I jumped on board. What makes it easy is already having the conversion parts on hand and the 450 frame kits are cheap. I am waiting for the motor and esc to show up but hope to have those this weekend so I can fly this thing.

One mod I wanted to try was to adapt the Funcopter blades and mounts to the F45 head, but found that they are pitched in the opposite direction and will not work on my bird because the main gear has a one way bearing and will only turn clockwise. This is a shame because those blades would give this bird so much more lift allowing for a smaller pinion and better efficiency from the motor, plus I like the way your bird fly with them.

I am still interested in knowing what FET I should use to replace the the stock one for the tail conversion. I still plan on doing a brushless tail on one of my other F45's.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
I crashed my f45 and broke its tail fin and shaft loop. Fixed (DIY) the broken parts and placed shims om main rotor clamps. I tested the heli last Christmas and observed it not as smooth before the crash (During hover).
Christmas Day Flight 2012 (5 min 4 sec)
Rbsix is offline Find More Posts by Rbsix
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumppi T View Post
I know ...this is not a F45 thing....but have to show you.
I made a christmas present to my friend.
A helicopter landing plate:

Nicely done!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Quad Design
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
TumppiT -
HoweverRexless -
Despite the foregoing, it'll be a cold day in hell before I've any AP to compete with yours! - got that crummy stock cam, plus I've still got a slight bobbing problem, which is next on my 'to do' list.
And your country scenery is so much more interesting than Brisbane suburbia!
Thanks for compliment. I have to say, I'd love to know as much about rc and electronics as many of you gurus on here. I'm just good with a computer :-)
I love watching scenes from other parts of the world. Saves money on travel... He he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsix View Post
I crashed my f45 and broke its tail fin and shaft loop. Fixed (DIY) the broken parts and placed shims om main rotor clamps. I tested the heli last Christmas and observed it not as smooth before the crash (During hover).
http://youtu.be/kVK-werI5P4
Make sure the shims aren't restricting the blades movements. Maybe posting some close up pictures would help.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Quad Design
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Like the video rexless, I been plying around with Quads to. It took a couple of good crashes to get KK2 board down and get programmed. I'm up to 4 of the darn things and got another one coming. I see your flies great in the snow and cold mine don't like it below 25 degrees F maybe it's just a KK2 thing. Good to see you still got MJX .
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Antirotation Bracket

Well, it's not my prettiest work, but it is cold out in the garage. Do for now.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Tumpii T, great pad! I see a marketing opportunity for you........
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
A park flight, full BL F45/450 mod -
Improved things considerably by wiring the Xtreme converter + supply to the main PCB +, rather than the 6A plush ESC - and putting a couple of toroids on likely RFI offenders.
Also removed the 18A ESC BEC + from the PCB. Why on earth I wired it there in the first place, I've no idea. The main PCB has its own stabilized supply!

And a pic, taken in the park round 5.30am. Sorry (again) for the quality, but it's no fun whatsoever keeping what is still really an experimental heli in the air with one hand, and operating a camera in the other.

Remaining problems:
- The tail blows out under high acceleration (just don't do it?). Will try the three blade option suggested by rpc4 when I get hold of one.
- There's a residual 'beat' at about 1/3Hz (I feel) as the gyro tries to compensate for the much slower revving Turnigy 1811/ESC/Xtreme combo. Will fiddle with the timing options later.

However!
At the end of 30min of continuous flight over several battery packs, neither of the ESCs (or motors) was more than warm. Could have flown all day, given enough LiPos!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Arrowshooter -
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions, but have been working flat out on 'the project' before I get hit with everyone's PC repairs again. Who'd have thunk I'd still be working at my age?!
- yep, the PCB is mounted on pillars (actually taken from a scrapped F39).
- the FET is just the driver for the main motor: works fine. It's the only one I've tried in this application, but will test others later. Personally, think almost any power (Nchan) MOSFET will do the job - have used STP16NE06's before to replace the main driver, so they should be fine too. $2.45 here in Oz.

Like your patented antirotation bracket (though the Align one I suggested before mounts easily): see you've reverted to MJX standard 45deg too? - I'm not sure you CAN change this, though I'd be glad to be proven wrong .
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Arrowshooter -
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions, but have been working flat out on 'the project' before I get hit with everyone's PC repairs again. Who'd have thunk I'd still be working at my age?!
- yep, the PCB is mounted on pillars (actually taken from a scrapped F39).
- the FET is just the driver for the main motor: works fine. It's the only one I've tried in this application, but will test others later. Personally, think almost any power (Nchan) MOSFET will do the job - have used STP16NE06's before to replace the main driver, so they should be fine too. $2.45 here in Oz.

Like your patented antirotation bracket (though the Align one I suggested before mounts easily): see you've reverted to MJX standard 45deg too? - I'm not sure you CAN change this, though I'd be glad to be proven wrong .
Thank you OldOz, working on the Rx mount righ now. Yes, I decided leave well enough alone with the anitrotation/swash setup. Just want to get this thing in the air and yours is flying very well as is. Should have the motor and all on Monday I hope.

The Ufly, who's Rx I plan to switch to when I hook up the belt drive, does have a 90 deg flybar and swash. Don't know if the gyro in the Rx accounts for this differently than it would for a 45 deg, but I guess I will be finding out.

As for the tail washout, when you hold the heli by the skids, give it some power and twist it counter clockwise, does the tail motor react immediately or is there a lag?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:05 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
A park flight, full BL F45/450 mod -
Improved things considerably by wiring the Xtreme converter + supply to the main PCB +, rather than the 6A plush ESC - and putting a couple of toroids on likely RFI offenders.
Also removed the 18A ESC BEC + from the PCB. Why on earth I wired it there in the first place, I've no idea. The main PCB has its own stabilized supply!

And a pic, taken in the park round 5.30am. Sorry (again) for the quality, but it's no fun whatsoever keeping what is still really an experimental heli in the air with one hand, and operating a camera in the other.

Remaining problems:
- The tail blows out under high acceleration (just don't do it?). Will try the three blade option suggested by rpc4 when I get hold of one.
- There's a residual 'beat' at about 1/3Hz (I feel) as the gyro tries to compensate for the much slower revving Turnigy 1811/ESC/Xtreme combo. Will fiddle with the timing options later.

However!
At the end of 30min of continuous flight over several battery packs, neither of the ESCs (or motors) was more than warm. Could have flown all day, given enough LiPos!
Have you tried the Stock MJX tail rotor blade. That's what I have on mine and it has excess of power to hold the tail and I just need to adjust the gyro gain to get ride of tail wag.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:52 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
This 450 conversion stuff is crazy interesting... unfortunately I'm still too new to this to understand a lot of what you guys are doing. I can't wait to see some good video of these franken45's flying to see how they compare to the stock and modded F45's.

Over the last few days I put together a short film with the F45 as guest star next to my Armattan Quad Copter. There's also a mini super cub and a wraith 4x4 in there. It's a long video as it's all worked around 3 full batteries (2 on the quad and one on the F45). I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVdvW5TZbY
Nice video. The quad looks like it handles well.
And what makes you think any of use know what we are doing. As OldOz said, it's all experimental by a bunch of old tinkerers.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Nice video. The quad looks like it handles well.
And what makes you think any of use know what we are doing. As OldOz said, it's all experimental by a bunch of old tinkerers.
I think you hit it on the nose with that statement. After watching that mod with the funcopter head I said to myself I can't even harrow where some of these guys plowed. But I still like taking a pile of parts and building something. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Ray
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
F445 Frankincopter

SHE FLIES

I have named my F45 conversion the "F445". Seems fitting.

Motor and SC showed up today so I roughed it all in and she jumped right off the ground. Definitely need more room than my backyard has to offer, but hovering and a couple of slow turns came easy.

Down side is the Hobbywing Pentium 40A SC that came with the motor would not function properly. Checked the settings with my Turnigy programming card, set the throttle range like normal, and the heli would bind with no issue. But, when I give it throttle the motor would just bump along for a few seconds and then shut off. Tried with different motors and receivers with the same results, so I had to contact the seller. We'll see what happens.

I don't like the way that the elevation servo works in the front, so I will have to reverse wire one of the new ones I have coming. I also need to firmly attach the tail motor and fin to the boom. Have a minor head vibration that does not appear to be related to the flybar that I will have to dig into.

More to come
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Hello friends! I am new to the forum but I read often. Today I burned the main motor and I want to put someone other than the original. I saw this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...702895340.html , but not if it is correct. I want you to please help me and tell me me which I have to buy and where. thank you very much.
Spain_Betis is offline Find More Posts by Spain_Betis