SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:07 AM
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
Wow really. I will try it but I've never worked with a control surface this thin before, I'm surprised it can be done and that theres enough surface area for a good bond for something that goes 200mph.
JAYNC is online now Find More Posts by JAYNC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:40 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,561 Posts
Use a Dremel cutting disc or a thin file and put s a few small slits in the base of the horn to increase surface area. Another option is to drill a couple of small holes for the epoxy to grab on to. You can also make the base of the horn as long as possible, a bit like these
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:57 AM
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think its kind of crazy that these planes come with no manual what so ever to let people know what needs to be done. If it wasnt for the good guys on rcg I would be lost. Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:57 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,752 Posts
A method for cutting slots for gluing in horns in the Avionik thread;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=367

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=377

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:28 AM
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
Thanks for the help Tim. I will have to get one of those razor saws. They look handy.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
Ok, just got off of the phone with SUSA and I guess the newer runs of swists are coming with the firewalls glued in already. The reason I called is because it was glued in to where the motor mount hole pattern is clocked where the wires coming out of the back of the Neu motor will be sideways instead of on the top or bottom. They told me they have never heard of such a thing and it doesn't matter. I just swear every picture I've ever seen on these f5D planes you guys have the wires on the top of the fuselage for battery clearance. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a blank firewall so I could put them wherever I wanted to but this one is pre drilled and pre glued already. What should I do
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
This is how they are coming from the factory now.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:50 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,561 Posts
Looks like the bolt hole pattern would suit a Mega for the wires on the top or bottom.

I guess you can fit your motor & esc in and see what the clearance looks like for the battery or you take the mount out and turn it 90 degrees. If you decide to remove the mount then fix your motor in with a spinner on 1st and look at how the spinner sits against the front of the fuse so you have a good idea of how to set the angle up again. I'd have thought it'll sit square with the fuse TBH.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Last edited by feefo; Sep 15, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:47 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,752 Posts
How far inset is the firewall?

I wonder if you could just lay another firewall (cut from carbon fiber or fiberglass) over the existing one, then drill new holes.

...or, lay another firewall INSIDE the existing one.

If either of those, let me know and I'll cut you a firewall from carbon fiber.

That sucks that the holes are all already drilled.

On my Vipers and Avioniks, I drilled the holes (they may have already been drilled in my Vipers, but not in the Avioniks). But when I switched between Neu motors, sometimes the holes on the 16mm diameter were vertical and sometimes they were on the horizontal (standard mounting holes distances are two on the 16mm diameter and two on the 19mm diameter). This required me to elongate the holes, but that was no problem.

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem if the ESC is "clocked" at a 45 if you're not installing the battery under the ESC (like I do with my 2S + 3S split packs). If you are using a single 5S pack directly under the wing, then the battery won't have to slip under the ESC so it shouldn't be a problem.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Sep 15, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
Yeah I don't think I'll be making any split packs as of yet. The firewall is pretty much about 1mm from the front of fuselage. I think the pack will be pretty much right under the wing. Here are a couple pics of about what room I have to work with. Thanks guys.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
894 Posts
If you're not using split packs, then having the esc on its side works out better.
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Joined Feb 2005
347 Posts
Wouldn't there be a lateral cg issue with it on the side like that? I'm kind of in limbo on the build right now, waiting on a bunch of supplies to come in. I think by friday I will have everything I need to finish this thing. Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the help so far.