HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:52 PM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
Is there anyway that this ERS meter could be used to check Li Ion and Li Fe batteries ?
gonzalo38 is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo38
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:37 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,025 Posts
Absolutely. I've been using the ESR Meter to measure my A123 Systems LiFePO4 packs for years.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:50 PM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Yes, sorry Nitro, but John is correct.
The two types of meter are quite different in operation so my meter cannot read a capacitor and a capacitor ESR meter cannot read the IR of a lipo pack.

Glad you like the meter; thanks for the endorsement.

Wayne
yea wayne the crazy thing is, i knew that lol. i just had a major brain fart that evening for some reason. hhhmmm might of been the heineken's.
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
Hi I just stumbled across this thread.

This is probably a bit off topic, but I am wondering why this couldn't be used to measure the ESR of a capacitor? I thought the 'constant current' method was one way of performing the measurement along with the high frequency AC voltage method used in LCR meters.

Actually I am looking to build my own meter to measure the internal gate resistance of a MOSFET or IGBT while it is operating in an inverter (so I assume the gate-source is a capacitor and measure the ESR inside 1 switching period), preferably to a resolution better than miliohms and repeatable. I know I wont be able to use this but it still interests me - I am not that familiar with these measurements.
Bakezz is offline Find More Posts by Bakezz
Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
866 Posts
[QUOTE=Bakezz;25642441]Hi I just stumbled across this thread.

This is probably a bit off topic, but I am wondering why this couldn't be used to measure the ESR of a capacitor? I thought the 'constant current' method was one way of performing the measurement along with the high frequency AC voltage method used in LCR meters.

Actually I am looking to build my own meter to measure the internal gate resistance of a MOSFET or IGBT while it is operating in an inverter (so I assume the gate-source is a capacitor and measure the ESR inside 1 switching period), preferably to a resolution better than miliohms and repeatable. I know I wont be able to use this but it still interests me - I am not that familiar with these measurements.[/QUOTE.

Bakezz,

Sorry the answer is no.

The unit cannot measure capacitor ESR.
It is specifically designed to measure the source resistance of a battery or cell where there is a source voltage in series.

Conversely a capacitor ESR meter cannot measure a lipo.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:45 PM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,803 Posts
Best tool in my electric flight box. Fast, easy way to find bad cells, bad solders etc. as well as monitor cell performance etc.
Thanks Wayne.
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:27 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
866 Posts
L2F,

Thanks for endorsement.

I have a new version of the ESR meter which will shortly be available aimed at competition flyers and other user of large capacity high C rate packs.
It is re-dimensioned to use a higher measurement current pulse (25A) and produce a resolution of 0.01milliohms instead of 0.04milliohms in Cell Mode, with a resolution of 0.1milliohms in Pack Mode.

Will post more details when it is available, but the standard unit is still the best bet for an average flyer.

Wayne
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
ago involo ergo sum
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
413 Posts
Quote:
I have a new version of the ESR meter which will shortly be available aimed at competition flyers and other user of large capacity high C rate packs.
It is re-dimensioned to use a higher measurement current pulse (25A) and produce a resolution of 0.01milliohms instead of 0.04milliohms in Cell Mode, with a resolution of 0.1milliohms in Pack Mode.

Wayne
Oooooh. I want one of those.
MikeAnderson is offline Find More Posts by MikeAnderson
Old Aug 06, 2013, 10:02 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,688 Posts
Quote:

Will post more details when it is available, but the standard unit is still the best bet for an average flyer.

Wayne
I'm interested.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 08, 2013, 02:48 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
866 Posts
Sorry guys away on hols at present. Very limited access. Back on August 19th

Wayne
Old Aug 08, 2013, 02:26 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
Just found this thread via Google – the ESR Meter is exactly what I've been looking for!

I've found the internal resistance readout of the FMA PowerLab8 charger very useful recently, as it helped me find out why I was getting poor performance out of some of my 4S1P 5000mAh Turnigy NanoTech packs. When one of the packs was on charge, one of the cell's IR was around 80mΩ compared to 2-3 for the remaining 3 cells! Unfortunately the PowerLab8 is owned by the company I work for, and I'm leaving the company next month! I also prefer the idea of a tester that can give me instant feedback on the condition of cells, rather than having to put a pack on charge to get a readout.

Where is the best place to buy one of Wayne's meters in the UK?

Many thanks,

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Aug 08, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined May 2010
30 Posts
Hello David- Wayne is in the UK and he makes them. PM him (he's on holiday with limited Internet at the moment but back soon) so don't be worried if he takes a week to answer you.
If you're leaving wanna steal me some parallel charging leads for the powerlab8 I have?!...... All the best, Adam
goldenduff is offline Find More Posts by goldenduff
Old Aug 09, 2013, 12:38 AM
ago involo ergo sum
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
413 Posts
No fake Deans please

Quote:

Wayne
One thing to consider for the next generation: use genuine Deans connectors or leave the leads connector-less. Those HobbyKing knockoff pseudo-Deans just get too loose too fast. I think people will end up replacing with real Deans anyway.
MikeAnderson is offline Find More Posts by MikeAnderson
Old Aug 09, 2013, 12:44 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenduff View Post
Hello David- Wayne is in the UK and he makes them. PM him (he's on holiday with limited Internet at the moment but back soon) so don't be worried if he takes a week to answer you.
If you're leaving wanna steal me some parallel charging leads for the powerlab8 I have?!...... All the best, Adam
Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply, I will PM Wayne and see what he says.

There's so much useful equipment at the company where I work! They primarily develop UAVs and autonomous navigation algorithms, so as you can imagine, they have an aero-modeller's dream workshop!

http://www.bbsr.co.uk/

Cheers

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joined May 2010
30 Posts
Lucky you! If its like my workshop it would take a couple of weeks before I noticed something was missing!....
goldenduff is offline Find More Posts by goldenduff