HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
You also need to look at your ESC programm and make sure it is set for 3.2 cutoff.
MHO.
Ben
That will only shut down the motor but not the ESC to RX feed so the RX will eventually drag the LiPo down if it sits in a tree or lost in the weeds for a couple of days.

But all is not lost! That LiPo is probably toast with one or more cells now having a high internal resistance so it will have a short life when under the load of the motor. The voltage sag will and should trigger the LVS on the ESC. These non-puffed unintentionally abused LiPos are useful for bench testing stuff.

Such as below I have an "bad" Turnigy Nanotech 45-90C set up testing a PT and I also just used this 90 degree antenna setup for range testing ibcrazy circular polarized antennas on my TX. Under these conditions the 3S Nano will last hours plugged in. But it will only run about 1 1/2, 30 second WOT on a stock Radian motor with a 11 X 8 prop. And that is a big PITA on the field.

Name: 20150125_153025.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 848.8 KB
Description:
fractalicious is online now Find More Posts by fractalicious
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
Since you still have a litle juce left in your battery, try this I have brought back few over discharged lipos to life.
Just hook up your battery for about few min to the charger under NIMH not Lipo nor balance charge at .50c then check your voltage and charge under lipo.
Ben

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072324

Please read before attempting the rescue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalicious View Post
+1 That really is the easiest way to get just enough on each cell so that the "smart" chargers we use today will "see" the pack when placed back onto LiPo mode and not complain and shut down.
Yep, the above works quite well. I had a rock crawler with a 2S, 4000 pack. Well, the ESC has an on/off switch so one time I left the pack attached but the switch was off so I thought I was safe. Wrong! After about 6 (not a typo!) weeks I came back and check and both cells were at 2V each! Oh great, a $35 pack gone after two cycles.

Well I did the NiMH trick and got the cells to the point where the lipo setting recognized them and finished the charge at 1C. I have been using the pack for months now and there are no ill effects. We swelling, no reduced run time, no not holding voltage, nothing.

I think the reason why is the drain was very very low over time. Had I drain the pack to 2V per cell pulling 10A I think the pack would be toast. My guess is that the ESC was some how pulling 10 mA or so over that 6 weeks.

I would not throw out that pack just yet....
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Winter sucks
Joined Nov 2013
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
standing by on the 3 meter mod . just taking a short break from my foam cutting . I am doing a high density foam bird of time build , the wing is 118 inch and the wing cord is huge compared to the radian so I think I will leave my radian alone for now .
After a little more research, I think what I should do is just buy a Mystique RES 2.9 m ARF.. or maybe even the 2.9m ARF, a real full-house sailplane. I might still try the 3 meter Radian mod, it will be a fun learning experience if nothing else, but if I want a 3m sailplane, buying something like that Mystique will probably give me better results. Lots more money though... so in the meantime a 3 meter Radian could be fun still.
BWX_ is online now Find More Posts by BWX_
Last edited by BWX_; Yesterday at 06:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
Joined Dec 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_ View Post
After a little more research, I think what I should do is just buy a Mystique RES 2.9 m ARF.. or maybe even the 2.9m ARF, a real full-house sailplane. I might still try the 3 meter Radian mod, it will be a fun learning experience if nothing else, but if I want a 3m sailplane, buying something like that Mystique will probably give me better results. Lots more money though... so in the meantime a 3 meter Radian could be fun still.
I own both the ARF/FH and RES Mystiques and the when it is a little windier and the Radian becomes more work than fun I will go to them. Otherwise the Radian ( not Pro ) is always in the truck ready to go.

You can start with the RES with an 8CH RX and if you want you can just buy the ARF wing set if you want to fly full house like a Radian Pro.

Here is the ARF wings on a RES fuselage ( red on yellow )

Name: 20140922_141755.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 915.6 KB
Description:
Old Today, 09:52 AM
Winter sucks
Joined Nov 2013
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalicious View Post
I own both the ARF/FH and RES Mystiques and the when it is a little windier and the Radian becomes more work than fun I will go to them. Otherwise the Radian ( not Pro ) is always in the truck ready to go.

You can start with the RES with an 8CH RX and if you want you can just buy the ARF wing set if you want to fly full house like a Radian Pro.

Here is the ARF wings on a RES fuselage ( red on yellow )

Attachment 7507225
I was wondering if you could just get the wings and convert from RES to FH.. so that is cool. Thanks. Very nice planes.
That would be my first non-foamy plane.
Old Today, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_ View Post
I was wondering if you could just get the wings and convert from RES to FH.. so that is cool. Thanks. Very nice planes.
That would be my first non-foamy plane.
You can do the same with the Radian Pro and Radian. Use the Radian Pro fuselage and install a slightly modified Radian wing set that has had the wing root trimmed to match the Pro wings and wing saddle. i.e remove the jigsaw puzzle locking bits. And then you have 2 quite different foamies using one fuselage, motor, RX, etc

Name: DSC00188.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 706.4 KB
Description:
Old Today, 10:19 AM
Winter sucks
Joined Nov 2013
1,150 Posts
From what I have heard, I think I will avoid the Radian Pro altogether though, but the Mystique looks really nice in both forms.