HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2014, 07:54 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,250 Posts
weightless trimming tip

I've been trimming wings w/o alu tip weights by carefully peeling back and removing the plastic reinforcing piece at the rear wing root, adding a micro amount of UHU Por and moving the attachment point around 1mm outboard to tighten a looser, more slack wing. The Avitron will turn away from the slacker wing in a glide, as that wing has a steeper neg angle [T.E. up more] and the resultingly more fwd-tipped lift vector creates the glide yaw. Of course check that the wing is not TOO tight and that the steering function still works!

L
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:26 AM
Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
Joined Jul 2014
202 Posts
Hey there Lee-
I noticed the same thing about the difference the slightest extra wing slack makes. I've made my own swept back wings for one avitron, but I've been swapping wing pairs to fix balance issues for a while now on my factory wings for the other bird I fly. And I've often thought of doing what you've done, especially since I just broke one wing that was part of my last perfectly matching pair. :-(
But I'm not familiar - what is UHU Por??

- DaVinci's Brainchild
DaVinciBrainchld is offline Find More Posts by DaVinciBrainchld
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:09 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,086 Posts
UHU por is a glue for Styrofoam.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L9F...dir_mdp_mobile
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Jan 13, 2015, 01:06 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,856 Posts
Hi

I've finally got my hands on the Avitron V2 .... I really loved it at 1st sight.. and flying it put a long lasting smile on my face .. which I really needed it ... Frankly I cannot remember when was that last time something made me that much happy ...
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Jan 13, 2015, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,856 Posts
But the range seems to be a lot less than the claimed 100 m ... it is less than 50 mm for sure ...

I wonder if someone else has suffered from reduced range too ???!!

Thanks

Khaled
Old Jan 13, 2015, 01:33 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,250 Posts
Super, Khaled! Good to know you could fly and be happy!

Because of its size, I never fly more than 40m away, so I don't know about anything farther. BUT, as I mentioned to the XTIM crew, the maximum reception is approx when the antenna is vertical w.r.t the flight direction [i.e., body normally nose-high, antenna vertical, which means then tilted fwd when the body is level and not in flight].

My main use for them is indoors, in my apt., but any indoor space will work. Did you see this? [Edwin + Marc] >

2 Avitron V2.0 dans le salon - 2 Avitrons pursuit in my living room (1 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 01:51 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,250 Posts
b.t.w., as I checked to see if the above video was correct, my clever little bird Kiki heard the Avitron sound, instantly repeated it and flew to the computer. So I played the video for him and he watched them chase around. I had just charged up my so very tiny, tiny nano quad [Proto X], was actually ready to fly it before he came over so I asked Kiki if he wanted to fly with it.

Normally he races it diagonally across the room and lands in the corner, as he knows it is dangerous [the four 3cm rotor/props go 30,000 RPM]. But THIS time, although I flew it diagonally across & back for him as usual, seeing that vid, he flew in circles around the room as he has done with the Avitrons.

Obviously he understood what he saw in the video! And just watching the Avitrons made HIM happy too!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 03:39 PM
Joined Jul 2014
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
But the range seems to be a lot less than the claimed 100 m ... it is less than 50 mm for sure ...

I wonder if someone else has suffered from reduced range too ???!!

Thanks

Khaled

Congrats on your Avitron Khaled. :-). It probably goes without saying but I would double check the batteries if you're having range issues. I did have one Avitron v2 with reduced range and it turned out to be defective. I really really hope that is not the case with yours. Best wishes.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,856 Posts
@xlcrlee

Thanks for the video ... I didn't know it can fly in such a small place
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:03 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciBrainchld View Post
Congrats on your Avitron Khaled. :-). It probably goes without saying but I would double check the batteries if you're having range issues. I did have one Avitron v2 with reduced range and it turned out to be defective. I really really hope that is not the case with yours. Best wishes.
Thanks .. can you please tell me how you concluded yours was defective ??

Thanks

Khaled
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:46 PM
Joined Jul 2014
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Thanks .. can you please tell me how you concluded yours was defective ??

Thanks

Khaled

I contacted the makers and they had me run a series of tests, several of which it failed. They ended up sending me a replacement body. If you're still having issues I would try to contact customer service. Hopefully they are still taking care of Avitron issues. Best of luck.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,856 Posts
thanks a lot ... I really appreciate it

Khaled