Old Nov 03, 2015, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by anitelite
Pearland, Texas
Joined Feb 2000
162 Posts
Discussion
head design

Good afternoon

In the interest of simplicity, I bought a sheet of the thin reinforced fiberglass to make one of the head modifications I see being used on the Atom Special and similar aircraft. Based on the design in my Scout and others, the use of the fiberglass plate will eliminate the flapping hinge that I'm used to. If the hinge isn't needed, will the fiberglass still allow the blades to move up and down as needed? Should I be concerned about a blade strike on the fuselage?

Thanks!
anitelite is offline Find More Posts by anitelite
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by boberos
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
566 Posts
Yes & yes to both questions
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Nov 12, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Graham L
Joined Jul 2014
196 Posts
Hi Anitelite
The F/G plate (Around 0.8mm) will allow the right amount of movement for the blades to cone correctly. I would however make a larger plate than the Atom as the blades will have little room to fold back in the event of a tip over and will damage the roots. Something the size of a Whippitt plate will do well.

To avoid the blades going down too far and damaging the tail/fuselage in the event of a heavy landing , I make up a round plate to go underneath the main plate from the same 0.8mm f/g sheet and big enough just to go to the 3 edges of the top plate. This certainly stops strikes on 3 of my Gyros.

Hope this helps.

Graham
Graham L is offline Find More Posts by Graham L
Old Nov 13, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by anitelite
Pearland, Texas
Joined Feb 2000
162 Posts
Thanks ! I'll give it a try and see.

Jim
anitelite is offline Find More Posts by anitelite