Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by ghostwhiper
Netherlands, GE, Nunspeet
Joined Jul 2013
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilUK View Post
Could be worth checking out an APM as well
not really, there is not a whole lot of support and it's not easy to setup.
if you don't know how te setup a bell hiller head then an apm is most certainly not going to work.
been fidding with an apm for a while now and it's gathering dust now untill i have the energy to play with the PID's for a couple of hours
ghostwhiper is online now Find More Posts by ghostwhiper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
I built a new
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwhiper View Post
not really, there is not a whole lot of support and it's not easy to setup.
if you don't know how te setup a bell hiller head then an apm is most certainly not going to work.
been fidding with an apm for a while now and it's gathering dust now untill i have the energy to play with the PID's for a couple of hours
I've got a (cough) Quanum Nova, which is APM based
- seems to work ok
- I guess the PIDs would need to be tweaked for a heli
- but it would allow a heli to hover easily in virtually all weather conditions..
FlyingPhilUK is online now Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
Old Feb 13, 2016, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2013
1,158 Posts
multicopter support for apm is much greater then tradheli support.
pid tuning with a heli is a fine line between an ok setting or an almost explosion or the pid settings don't react at all.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 03:16 PM
I built a new
Joined Jan 2013
1,731 Posts
Quote:
multicopter support for apm is much greater then tradheli support.
pid tuning with a heli is a fine line between an ok setting or an almost explosion or the pid settings don't react at all.
I have tried getting a CC3D running in a heli
- and it wasn't a lot of fun
- getting the PIDs flyable wasn't too much trouble, but it never felt very good due to not having piro-comp at the time
- but people seem to have better success with the APM

Like this one:
Testing ArduCopter 3.0.1 on TradHeli - Second flight (5 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,423 Posts
Steve,

You're really not having much luck - a raptor isn't going to behave quite like a modern FBL heli, but it shouldn't be as stodgy as you describe. Is there no-one at the club that could help you with the set-up?.

Stick in there mate - you'll get there!!!

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 14, 2016, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by Scottish_steve75
If it flies, I probably have 1
United Kingdom, Fauldhouse
Joined Mar 2014
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Could be worth checking out an APM as well

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2594117

But, once heli hovering clicks with you, you'll find yourself wondering what all the fuss was about..
- just keep at it, dude!
LOL thats the thing, i used to be able to hover fine, thats why im convinced something is way wrong with the raptor, perhaps it has been crashed and rebuilt wrong? just something doesnt sit right with me about it - my first and most likely last second hand RC, i had thought you are only buying someone elses problems, and with this, it does seem to be the case

when you spoke about APM, were you meaning aligns auto pilot thingy ma jigger? as that only works with 3gx it doesnt work with Gpro

if i was to look into anything along those lines, i would not have a second thought about buying the Naza H, there multirotor units are simply amazing and the most stable and easiest to work with that i have tried (tried KK2.5.5 , and also tried Naze 32) was not impressed by the naze in the slightest, it has a barometer built in, so should hold altitude, but does it heck, it feels just the same as the vastly cheaper KK2 - neither of which can hold a candle to the Naza for stability, or straight out the box and it works, no messing with PID
Scottish_steve75 is offline Find More Posts by Scottish_steve75
Old Feb 14, 2016, 02:11 AM
Joined Mar 2014
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Steve,

You're really not having much luck - a raptor isn't going to behave quite like a modern FBL heli, but it shouldn't be as stodgy as you describe. Is there no-one at the club that could help you with the set-up?.

Stick in there mate - you'll get there!!!

Cheers,
Mike
nope, no one at club likes or has even the slightest interest in heli's, its the same for almost all clubs around, helis are looked upon as a nuisance
Old Feb 14, 2016, 02:59 AM
Joined Jul 2013
1,158 Posts
steve i'm guessing the problem with the raptor is not the raptor but your knowlage of how to set it up properly.
setup properly it flies like a dream and it's considered one of the best heli's to learn to fly with.
don't mess with all those electronics and learn to fly without them, one day the self level and rescue button doesn't work and bye bye helicopter because you cant fly the thing without gadgets.

i have got over 200 flights and still not flying around but only hovering, and before you ask all flybar flights without any type of electronic stabilisation.
warned you before you bought the raptor that it was going to gather dust in a corner and you where better off buying spare parts for the 600n

make an acount here and ask for local help http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk
Last edited by ghostwhiper; Feb 14, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:57 AM
I built a new
Joined Jan 2013
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_steve75 View Post
LOL thats the thing, i used to be able to hover fine, thats why im convinced something is way wrong with the raptor, perhaps it has been crashed and rebuilt wrong? just something doesnt sit right with me about it - my first and most likely last second hand RC, i had thought you are only buying someone elses problems, and with this, it does seem to be the case

when you spoke about APM, were you meaning aligns auto pilot thingy ma jigger? as that only works with 3gx it doesnt work with Gpro

if i was to look into anything along those lines, i would not have a second thought about buying the Naza H, there multirotor units are simply amazing and the most stable and easiest to work with that i have tried (tried KK2.5.5 , and also tried Naze 32) was not impressed by the naze in the slightest, it has a barometer built in, so should hold altitude, but does it heck, it feels just the same as the vastly cheaper KK2 - neither of which can hold a candle to the Naza for stability, or straight out the box and it works, no messing with PID
APM is ArduPilot
- which is pretty much the most respected open source flight controller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MiniAPM-V3...071&rmvSB=true

Naza H with GPS would certainly be a good option
- but a lot more costly than an APM setup
- but more plug & play

With APM you get all the goodies like Loiter mode (GPS position hold with control), Altitude hold, RTH etc
- would make your heli fly like a quad!
- which might be fairly pointless, depending on what you're after

Arducopter 3.0 Helicopter Demonstration (13 min 58 sec)

As others have said, maybe you just need to figure out what's up with your Raptor, and practice on that

If the Swash is level (front/back) then the most likely thing causing it to drift back is the CG
- maybe you need to add some weight to the front of the canopy to get the CG centred on the main-shaft
Last edited by FlyingPhilUK; Feb 14, 2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2014
2,824 Posts
Quote:
warned you before you bought the raptor that it was going to gather dust in a corner and you where better off buying spare parts for the 600n
LOL i knew that also, this is why i have almost no room left in my house, its full of RC, from nitro cars, to helis to planes
most of my helis gather dust anyway, so thats no biggy for me, i will be much more focused on my planes for now, the helis will take very much a back seat for the forseable future, i got into the hobby to gain enjoyment from it, with the helis , i only gain frustration and loss of enthusiasm for the hobby
there is far too much tinkering and not enough flying in helis for me, i guess thats why i much prefer the planes now, set it up , do an initial shake down flight, fix the bugs, and thats it, from that point on, fly till your heart is content

oh i have no intention on going old school, i will take any and all electronic aids available to me, thats how quads were born, people embraced the technology, why make helis any harder than it needs to be, if i can have an aid that simplifies things and brings that enjoyment back, heck yeah im gonna use it!

oh phil, the APM is not for me, far to much messing about with those for my liking, almost full on code programming from what i can gather - no thanks, that is not fun

naza is ruled out, upon reading its specs, it lists only electric helis, im guessing the vibes on a nitro is just too much for the gyros to handle
Old Feb 14, 2016, 01:28 PM
I built a new
Joined Jan 2013
1,731 Posts
Certainly, the APM on the Quanum Nova is plug & play
- but you would need to do some tuning for a heli
- though no need to do any programming
- if you've experience of the KK, then I think it would the APM would be easier.

But, of course, the main thing is to enjoy yourself, so if you're not enjoying the whole process, then maybe it's time to focus on something else for a while...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 01:49 PM
Joined Mar 2014
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Certainly, the APM on the Quanum Nova is plug & play
- but you would need to do some tuning for a heli
- though no need to do any programming
- if you've experience of the KK, then I think it would the APM would be easier.

But, of course, the main thing is to enjoy yourself, so if you're not enjoying the whole process, then maybe it's time to focus on something else for a while...
precisely phil, for the moment, helis just annoy me, so time to put it on the shelf and admire it for a while - i got almost unlimited flight time with my planes (weather permitting)
yeah the whole KK2 thing just annoyed me, trying random PID combinations, the Naza style is far better for me, you buy it, you plug it in, and it works, box fresh, no messing with any of that good stuff
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by DanielRC2
Argentina, BA, Gonnet
Joined Sep 2013
214 Posts
Hi guys

I know it's the 450 GT thread , but BL or someone had have a HK500GT?
I'm building one, and the main gear is rubbing against the pulley, is it a comun issue?
Thanks in advance!
DanielRC2 is online now Find More Posts by DanielRC2
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by Border Lord
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
2,041 Posts
Hi Daniel, yes, it was me.

Not a common problem, but I have an idea.
How close is the main gear to the tail drive gear? Mine measures 2mm. If its any less, this could be the problem.
Long time since I built mine, but IIRC there is a metal washer between the main and tail gears.
If your gap is less that 2mm, wouldn't mind betting this washer is missing.
Have a check.
There is no 500GT manual, but the Align 500CF is virtually the same. Trying to find an Align part number for you now.
Knowing what Align part numbers are like, give me a couple of weeks

Jeff
Border Lord is online now Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Two helis flying
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
8,032 Posts
You might start your own thread on this - you might find some other things too!

Can you take any pictures?

The tail drive pulley on the HK500 should be clear of the maingear. On mine, the bottom face of the pulley is about 1mm above the frame cutout for the maingear. All I can think is that the pulley, which is a press fit on the splined shaft, is sitting too low. You might be able to push it up the shaft.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs