Old Aug 31, 2015, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Wow, that's fairly unusual to see prop hubs slip with collets, but so is an aluminum collet. Is there a bronze or brass equal available?

Greg
I have "chatted" with Horizon & as suggested I also sent an e-mail to "product support" asking if the replacement part, which shows a brass collet, is indeed brass. As usual with corporate America, nobody is willing to leave their computer screen to actually put their hand/eyes on product to verify.

Horizon is slowly destroying Saito by dismal product support & their refusal to carry the complete product line. They are only interested in "high volume" product.

I sent an e-mail to "product support" on Wednesday 8/27/15 before noon & haven't heard from them yet.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Aug 31, 2015 at 07:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
United States, OR, Cornelius
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
I have "chatted" with Horizon & as suggested I also sent an e-mail to "product support" asking if the replacement part, which shows a brass collet, is indeed brass. As usual with corporate America, nobody is willing to leave their computer screen to actually put their hand/eyes on product to verify.

Horizon is slowly destroying Saito by dismal product support & their refusal to carry the complete product line. They are only interested in "high volume" product.

I sent an e-mail to "product support" on Wednesday 8/27/15 before noon & haven't heard from them yet.
Copy and paste this thread and question to them and see what response you get. Bet someone gets the answer quickly, corporate America doesn't like there dirty laundry hung in public. Especially when you mention another distributor.
FlyawayClyde is offline Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
Last edited by FlyawayClyde; Aug 31, 2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: grammer
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:25 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyawayClyde View Post
Copy and paste this thread and question to them and see what response you get. Bet someone gets the answer quickly, corporate America doesn't like there dirty laundry hung in public. Especially when you mention another distributor.
As far as another distributor, I can buy the larger gas multi-cylinder engines from RC Japan & pay shipping for less than Horizon's prices.

Plus RC Japan still carries the entire line of large glow fuel multi-cylinder engines.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 06:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
As far as another distributor, I can buy the larger gas multi-cylinder engines from RC Japan & pay shipping for less than Horizon's prices.

Plus RC Japan still carries the entire line of large glow fuel multi-cylinder engines.
And RC Japan is who, without saying I was referring to. At least they seem to carry the entire line and the part support to the consumer,
Old Sep 01, 2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by gkamysz
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,737 Posts
Horizon just laughs when you'll have to send it to Japan for warranty service. This doesn't bother them.
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Sep 01, 2015, 11:03 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Horizon just laughs when you'll have to send it to Japan for warranty service. This doesn't bother them.
I don't send my engines in to Horizon for warranty work. I've heard of some of their work & I'm not impressed.
Old Sep 01, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Get a methanol buzz .
Joined Apr 2010
4,222 Posts
Quote:
I don't send my engines in to Horizon for warranty work. I've heard of some of their work & I'm not impressed.
Same here ! Seen their "warranty work" first hand . Better to just fix it at home .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Sep 01, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by SRQFlyer
Master re-kitter
Sarasota, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
430 Posts
HH Saito warranty work

A few years back, a good friend sent in his 170R3 for some work. It came back missing one of the retaining clips on one of the slave conrods. It ran for about 20 seconds. They repaired it without charge, but the invoice showed about $1000 in parts !!! I think the prop nut was still good, though
Jim
SRQFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SRQFlyer
Old Sep 01, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by los36
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQFlyer View Post
A few years back, a good friend sent in his 170R3 for some work. It came back missing one of the retaining clips on one of the slave conrods. It ran for about 20 seconds. They repaired it without charge, but the invoice showed about $1000 in parts !!! I think the prop nut was still good, though
Jim
I purchased a used 170r3 that had just had it's bearings replaced by HH. The receipt was included and was from one month prior to when I had the engine in my hands. It had idle and max rpms from the test run listed. I couldn't replicate the claimed numbers. Upon inspection, one of the pushrods was not seated on the rocker and one of the nylon wrist pin retainers was missing. Luckily, it didn't score the cylinder wall before I discovered it.
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by mike3976
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,714 Posts
Horizon USA is just a distribution and marketing arm for the company, the service division has very low priority who's main purpose is to exist for marketing. People will pay a higher price if they think they are protected by a easily accessible service department. I prefer to obtain a quality product in the first place, and not have to worry about future warranty service claims.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
Horizon USA is just a distribution and marketing arm for the company, the service division has very low priority who's main purpose is to exist for marketing. People will pay a higher price if they think they are protected by a easily accessible service department. I prefer to obtain a quality product in the first place, and not have to worry about future warranty service claims.
What you say is very true, I too will pay a higher price for a quality widget, versus an inferior widget from a company that is just pumping out stuff to sell because everyone else is.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyawayClyde View Post
What you say is very true, I too will pay a higher price for a quality widget, versus an inferior widget from a company that is just pumping out stuff to sell because everyone else is.
When you pay the prices Horizons charges for a Saito engine you are paying for quality.

Part of quality is also being able to obtain parts and support for long term value. Horizon doesn't even maintain stock of some of the most common parts.

This type of behavior by Horizon is typical American corporate mentality, one of the primary reasons for the demise of the American auto industry.
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Get a methanol buzz .
Joined Apr 2010
4,222 Posts
Geez , please tell the Nissan guy that line about "support" . Maybe we can get the parts to fix the 8 year old Nissan in my neighbor's garage ! Come to think of it , he has a dead Mitsubishi in there too . The next hardest part is paying the high prices if they manage to supply the parts

I think YS has been very good at supplying parts even though they are very small-scale compared to Saito . OS is pretty good , if you bypass Hobbico and get in touch with OS Japan . Haven't tried Enya lately but when you had to go through MRC they were horrible and outrageously priced . I understand they are a lot better today .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
When you pay the prices Horizons charges for a Saito engine you are paying for quality.

Part of quality is also being able to obtain parts and support for long term value. Horizon doesn't even maintain stock of some of the most common parts.

This type of behavior by Horizon is typical American corporate mentality, one of the primary reasons for the demise of the American auto industry.
Well, here is a truth I must confess. I have six Saito engines, three OS engines and two Magnum and one royal. Oh and a Zenoha . Not one of them were purchased new from any distributor, even though 4 of the Saitos were new unused, two for the OS were new unused, and both of the Magnums and the Royal were new and unused. I cant seem to make myself pay the prices that the distributors are charging for something I may drill into the earth at 60 plus miles per hour.
Now hears the caveat to that though, I will buy those parts that I need to repair one of them drilled engines that I pulled out of the earth, from the distributor......