HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:23 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,322 Posts
Discussion
Precedent T180 to Electric

There are some very old threads here but nothing relevant in this day and age.
I have been given a Precedent T180 that has been sitting around for a few years. It is almost finished apart from painting the fuse and covering or painting the wing.
Fuse and tail are covered with Solartex and the wing is of course obecchi veneer.
Apart from a couple of small cracks in the veneer which was easily fixed the plane is complete even with undercarriage etc. I had some HiTec servos that fitted the servo mounts in the wings perfectly and the only things missing are the tail-wheel and hinges and windows and I have all those. It is beautifully built (and I am fussy) but the plane weighs a lot. I thought of cutting bays out of the obecchi wings to lighten them but it just seems such a shame to do so. Any person who has owned one of these knows they are built like the proverbial brick #$**house. So HEAVY is the word.
I am finishing it as an electric even though it is totally fuelproofed etc, I don't want to go down that road again.
I have looked at several motors and wondered if the Turnigy G46 might be enough for it or do I have to go to the G60? I would like to go for the G46 if possible as batteries are much more affordable but I haven't had one before so the power is an unknown to me. Prop sizes look good and kV look good but if someone has done a conversion before I would appreciate comment. I am aware of such things as aileron differential to prevent yaw etc in this model, just need somebody experienced in this conversion.

Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,205 Posts
Does "HEAVY is the word" have an associated number ? I haven't seen a T180 for years so I can't remember what they weigh and that tends to be the critical factor when choosing a power system.

To fly like T180 (trainer-ish) I'd guess you'll only need about 50-70W / pound weight.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:43 AM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,322 Posts
Yeah Steve. Just got it to the stage where I have to pinch the kitchen scales and I am a bit frightened to see what the result is. I guess they are nearly vintage now. lol No manufacturer would ever design a plane like this nowadays. I hope to teach my stepson (22) the basics on this one eventually. Get him away from those toy helicopters.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:45 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,205 Posts
From a couple of old reviews the T180 should come out around 6 lb. If you keep it somewhere near that then a G46 will be plenty of motor (I'd go for the 670Kv version). But even then it will probably work best on about a 13" or even 14" prop if you want to keep to 4S batteries so it's worth checking that you have enough ground clearance.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:34 PM
Rural NW Essex,England.
Joined May 2005
302 Posts
I was given one of these several years ago. It now has a scorpion 4025-12, 15*8 apc e, 6s 3700 lipos and about 1300 watts. It is almost fun! Rx pack is a 2s 2300 a123 BUT it weighs over 9lbs. It will go vertical if required but will fly slowly on very little power. Hopefully there is a picture attached.
noblapod is offline Find More Posts by noblapod
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,322 Posts
Thanks slipstick, I hope to weigh mine today if I'm not out with the FPV.
Interesting colour scheme noblapod. I liked this one but my wife is insisting on the same design in aquamarine. !!!

Old Jun 16, 2013, 09:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,322 Posts
Lost my last post, so briefly, I weighed the plane. 4lb 6 oz or 2.0kg dry weight. Add another 1 Kg for paint/covering, motor, batteries and ESC and Servos I think the G46 should be ideal for a funfly/trainer. That is the route I will take.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:58 AM
Rural NW Essex,England.
Joined May 2005
302 Posts
The colour scheme is a 1950's university air squadron colour scheme which was used on Tiger Moths! Mine is also covered in solartex. My wings are built up and I didn't realise that they came with foam. Fibreglass cowlings are still available from Carbon Copy (UK). Mine is way overpowered and will do a vertical roll. You will need to learn how to do co-ordinated turns using rudder and aileron. I use 2 aileron servos and have set up some differential. I take off the wings to change the battery and have fitted an external battery isolater.
I fly for 10 minutes in a spirited manner and have plenty left in the batteries. If you need to know the control service movements that I use then just let me know. I know these are old hat but SLEC UK still make the larger T240 kit which I believe still sells well.
All the best....Chris UK
noblapod is offline Find More Posts by noblapod
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:15 AM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblapod View Post
The colour scheme is a 1950's university air squadron colour scheme which was used on Tiger Moths! Mine is also covered in solartex. My wings are built up and I didn't realise that they came with foam. Fibreglass cowlings are still available from Carbon Copy (UK). Mine is way overpowered and will do a vertical roll. You will need to learn how to do co-ordinated turns using rudder and aileron. I use 2 aileron servos and have set up some differential. I take off the wings to change the battery and have fitted an external battery isolater.
I fly for 10 minutes in a spirited manner and have plenty left in the batteries. If you need to know the control service movements that I use then just let me know. I know these are old hat but SLEC UK still make the larger T240 kit which I believe still sells well.
All the best....Chris UK
Thanks Chris but I am well learned in R/C, like since the 60s.
I am intending to offset the aileron servo arms to have a bit more throw up than down to overcome the yaw. I think it will be worse on the foam wing than the built up one as there is more weight to swing around.
I am looking at making removable windows or opening windows to change batteries. I can hinge them at the front and use neo magnets at the rear to hold them shut. Easily done. Just have to cut a ply frame for each side window. Fitted the servos inside today. Gotta make up the pushrods yet. The cowling on this one is thin ply and balsa block. Well made though. I know there are several versions of build as I see some have a different fuse construction to this one as well. I suspect this is an early version. Fun Fun Fun...