HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Discussion
Flying FBL 250 class for first time: what to expect and any tips?

So I've got myself a 250 class flybarless belt drive heli thats supposed to be easy to fly and hover (Skyartec Wasp X3V). The helicopter is pretty much setup to fly from the factory (but I will still run basic checks).

My previous experience is with the F45. Zero experience with 6 channel CP.

I do understand what throttle and pitch curves are, idle up and throttle hold.

I will fly in a large open outdoor area, with no wind or people around.

I don't have a sim or anyone to teach me, but that is also how I learned to fly the F45, and did not have to replace anything.

So what should I be prepared for when I try and fly this heli? I am basically interested in response to control movements, and how that would be different from what I'm used to with 4 ch single rotor FP? For example, I'm told that when I apply forward cyclic, to cancel it out, I'll need to give reverse cyclic and not just move the stick to midpoint? I want tips like what I would give to a first time 4 channel single rotor pilot: "when it takes off, it will have a tendency to drift left, so give a little right aileron.." as an example of what I'm asking for, just about a smaller FBL 6 channel!

Thanks in advance!
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Well, since it's flybarless, DON'T put any aileron or elevator until it's off the ground. Yes, it should hold positions when you put it in one - if you lean it forward it should maintain that angle until you deliberately move it back. So, it will be stable when you're not giving any control inputs.

However, a proper 250 is a freekin BEAST, and not appropriate for beginners, particularly if they haven't flown a CP helicopter on the simulator. Do yourself a favor and get a simulator, if you are the kind of person who can learn form simulation. It should be stable until you give some control input, then it should move quickly and with precision. However, since the one you have is low quality, it will probably move quickly with no precision - so be ready for that. Program some low rates, and expo. Be ready for it to be out of trim or have a mechanical problem of some kind... that's why I recommend beginners to get some expert help with the first flight.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Well, since it's flybarless, DON'T put any aileron or elevator until it's off the ground.
This is exactly the type of tip I need, and I really appreciate your input!

Quote:
Yes, it should hold positions when you put it in one - if you lean it forward it should maintain that angle until you deliberately move it back. So, it will be stable when you're not giving any control inputs.
OK, so if I give it a touch of forward cyclic, and it moves forwards, to stop it will I need to give reverse cyclic or just go to the neutral stick position?

Quote:
However, a proper 250 is a freekin BEAST, and not appropriate for beginners, particularly if they haven't flown a CP helicopter on the simulator.
I understand this, so this is the purpose of this thread.

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and get a simulator, if you are the kind of person who can learn form simulation.
It actually comes with Clearview. From a simulator I would try and learn complex maneuvers such as aerobatics, but my aim here is very modest at this point, which is to get it up, get the feel of the flight characteristics, then bring it down safely. I know I won't be able to learn this by the sim. I have to mention that I learnt a bicycle without training wheels. I also don't have the funds for a good sim, having wasted a lot in modding my F45, getting batteries, tools and chargers I do have two real life sims (though not 6 ch!): F45 for outdoor, V911 for indoor.

Quote:
However, since the one you have is low quality, it will probably move quickly with no precision - so be ready for that.
It is actually said to be of high quality, though I don't have any reference frame myself:

Quote:
I recommend beginners to get some expert help with the first flight.
Unfortunately I don't have that, so this is going to have to do for now.
Last edited by Lentar; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined May 2011
417 Posts
250's are great helicopters, but they are very very quick and sensitive, for beginners this is not the best combination. On the flip side the 250 is more crash resistant than the bigger helis, so there is a compromise. With the V911 and a sim(hobbypartz has one for $19.95) you should be ok imho, but stock up on 250 parts, you'll need them because you'll be crashing a lot.
mugen 1 is offline Find More Posts by mugen 1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I have the flybarred T-rex 250 and its a great little heli....
I tried to learn with the Blade SR but was hopeless, so stepped down to the MSR and then on to the MCPx and Trex 250, as long as you have a programmable Transmitter you can tame down the settings a bit and make it less twitchy
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
Semper Fragosus
United States, IL, Lindenhurst
Joined May 2012
128 Posts
Flight training

I too am just learning, but as one guy at the flying field told me, flying an RC heli is the hardest thing you will ever do. Get a simulator. You crash on a sim and it costs nothing, you crash the real thing and it is going to cost. I have a Blade 400 and even at that size, it is pretty twitchy especially with wind 10 mph or more. I have seen mention of some freeware sims in some forums. Also, try some of the online video flight training websites: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html or
Learn How To Fly RC Helicopter (RUDDER & ORIENTATION SKILLS) (10 min 0 sec)
or search for some others.
jackcutrone is offline Find More Posts by jackcutrone
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,357 Posts
F-45/V911 are fine stable 4ch helis. Yes they teach you something. 6ch is a whole different ball game. Sim is helpful but its not real thing. Good luck with this.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
I had a mechanical failure and crashed it. A tipover probably stripped the pitch servo, and I did not realise it, till it took off and then started moving rapidly rearward as if given hard reverse cyclic. I think the swash had locked in a rear tilt because of the bad servo. Anyways, a sim would not have prepared me for the two events that happened.

Lesson 1: A slow takeoff can produce a tipover.

Lesson 2: Thoroughly check all functions following even a minor crash.

Lesson 3: FBL CP helis are very delicate.