Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
Question
Best flying WWII german fighter model

I am sure this has been asked several times before, but I am still rather new to the hobby. I already have a 3DHS pattern plane, a 3d plane, and I did have a sport plane and I really want to add a scale warbird to the fleet. First let me state that this is a plane I want to build from a kit and I am in no rush to complete. I really seem to like the Focke Wulf 190D, but my main concern is with flight characteristics first. I do not mind spending up to a year to complete, as I really enjoy building.
mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by mustangherb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,748 Posts
1)its not really what you modle but how you model it .
Great example
1) Top Flight Gold edition P40 kit --heavy , poor design in wing washout , had a history of snapping
2)Top Flight Gold edition ARF ---correct washout , good design , great flyer , so same look , same historical rendition but differant qualities in eah plane .
same holds true with the FW190 .
The ESM ARF is a good flyer , the arf comes in on avg around 14 to 16 lbs , now take the kit version from Dave Platt , great design , great flyer , moderate wing loading .
The key to your kit build or scratch build that related to flying will be
1) wing loading
2) airfoil selected
3)power to weight aspect
the rest is really not relavant on "type of plane"
again , a 79" Foam P40 flies much differant then a kit Built wood/gladd Brian Taylor P40 in the same size , , I think you get my point .
The FW190 has a short nose , so if your really careful in building you can get all your key rc equipment up front , if you can look at my CMP Fw190 bash , everything is on or ahead of the CG in order to advoid adding weight to achieve CG .
Good luck
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
LDM thanks for the quick reply to my post and I do understand the jest of what you are saying. I guess we are all looking to avoid making errors in our choices. Isn't there also a log nose version of the FW-190 also?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,748 Posts
There is the FW D9 , known as the Dora , great flying plane , still seen and sold by Dave Platt kits , many have converted them to electric .
I have one that I bought build and I am bashing it to "more scale " it was in the Glow to Eletric forum but shelved for summer flying of other projects .
A great person to look up is "Kellog" he has a ton of German models and is an expert on eflight and conversions .
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
LDM thanks for the quick reply to my post and I do understand the jest of what you are saying. I guess we are all looking to avoid making errors in our choices. Isn't there also a log nose version of the FW-190 also?
You are right - the D (Dora) versions were the long nose Junkers Jumo powered FW190s.

But the A (short nose) versions are sweet to fly as well, you just need to be careful with CoG management and be prepared to add ballast if necessary.

IMHO the FW190s are an excellent choice - the Doras have the same proportions of an early '80's era pattern ship.

I have an old Sportsman Aviation FW190A ARF (Saito 72 four stroke) which is as sweet as anything to fly - but not very scale in appearance. I'm sure there are any number of better, more scale, balsa kits available.

If you want to go smaller and foam there is nothing better then the Alfa examples of both the A and Dora versions http://www.alfamodel.cz/

CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: It flies
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
CaseySP ,
Thank both you and LDM for your inputs into my questions. I must admit that the lines of the Dora version are very nice! I will continue to do my homework with the Dora version as my primary target.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:39 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,592 Posts
Airworld models in Germany do a very nice FW-190 kit in fiberglass. You can even count the rivets if you're that way inclined

Don't know if it's the size your after but here is a link.

http://www.airworld.online.de/Englisch/Index.htm

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:50 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,219 Posts
I built this 190A up using a $27 kit from Hobbyking.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624452
Its not very scale and in its original form its just "plane" ugly.
But It does fly nice, real nice, and is cheap enough to begin with.

I bought it to experiment with modifying and shaping EPO, and because I love 190s.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:05 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
I built this 190A up using a $27 kit from Hobbyking.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624452
Its not very scale and in its original form its just "plane" ugly.
But It does fly nice, real nice, and is cheap enough to begin with.

I bought it to experiment with modifying and shaping EPO, and because I love 190s.
Same here - absolutely adore 190's. Although mine was a GWS example that went through a lot to try and make it more presentable (shortened cowl, lots of filler over the (ahem) interesting panel lines, silkspan and WPBU finish, scale paint job, home made decals.

Flies like an absolute champ!
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: It flies
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Don't forget the TA-152!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Ta_152

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Ta-15...9,r:2,s:0,i:81

Kyosho Ta 152 H EP Flying part 2 (3 min 0 sec)
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
417 Posts
TA-152 as above, that long nose and high aspect wing really flies great @ the correct wing loading. RCM has a great set of plans for an 80" + version that builds light and flies fantastic, very scale as well.
FLYBOB54 is online now Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
Alright that also perks my interest! I would just like to thank all of the people for taking the time to help with all the valuable input on my behalf.