Old May 19, 2014, 03:08 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Greetings,

I'm looking for a full-house big brother for my Parkzone Radian, and stumbled upon this plane. I'm primarily looking for thermal soaring capabilities in weak conditions. What concerns me is the wing loading of 34g/dm2 - which is quite a bit more than the Radian around 20g/dm2

Is this plane more like a slope soarer than a thermal soarer? Or can I expect the same or even better thermal abilities than the Radian?

Thanks
She's not really designed for weak thermals but in the right hands can be made to perform very well, but nothing like the Radian that will stay up all day from a single sparrow fart!

Although thermal are rare in Shetland where I live I have occasionally sniffed them out on hot summer days (also rare!). She's happy on 3S so I use a 2200 25C 3S LiPo to keep the weight down when sniffing!

She's a great all rounder, loves the slope and surfing the sea breezes, or just simply powering up to 1000' and having a leisurely glide down. It's a lovely glider, very strong and very quick to setup at the field. And the physical size makes her easy to see in the sky.

She's actually my favourite glider, gets more air time than my Radian Pro (which I love) and my Luna composite e-sloper.

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 03:14 PM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
Diamond FPV Installation

I've fitted a video downlink and OSD to my Diamond, not really for pure FPV flying but to allow me to get to high altitude for shooting video with my Mobius.

Full details of the install on my latest blog post, but here's a few of pics of the setup:

#16 v3 on canopy with video Tx behind wing TE

Camera mounted on servo for panning

Video Tx on fuse. The video in and power is fed through the aluminium tube

Suppo OSD mounted under Robbe vario sensor

Flysight Black Pearl 7" screen with diversity two channel Rx

Very happy with the install, no external wiring and the CG spot on even with the extra 3S LiPo. Test flights tomorrow, but she'll be very much in visual range to start with!

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2014, 11:16 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Rory!

That's a good start into FPV. The GPS needs to come out, more than likely too close to the motor.
How did it go?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mantis Y-6, with Gimbal test II
Old May 30, 2014, 12:50 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Rory!

That's a good start into FPV. The GPS needs to come out, more than likely too close to the motor.
How did it go?
Well it didn't go too well, went behind a hill after loosing visual for a split second which caused failsafe to kick in resulting in a water landing!

Swimming at the Ness of Sound (2 min 11 sec)

Thankfully most of the electronics survived, with the main exceptions of the ESC, OSD and the möbius and FPV camera. New ones on the way and she's almost ready to fly again

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:34 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
Well it didn't go too well, went behind a hill after loosing visual for a split second which caused failsafe to kick in resulting in a water landing!

http://vimeo.com/96794470

Thankfully most of the electronics survived, with the main exceptions of the ESC, OSD and the möbius and FPV camera. New ones on the way and she's almost ready to fly again

Cheers,

Rory
Wow! You did great on putting this video up...Loved It! The best news is you found it and retrieved it. Great story could be told at the Pub
When flying FPV the antenna's have to be seeing LOS also going behind hills or buildings you will loose visual. 5.8Ghz has more of an issue of that also. But I can tell you enjoyed it and did not give up by getting the parts on order

Really liked the song. Would like to use it sometime "what was it?"
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:36 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
I went and installed the carbon spar that was mentioned in this thread and fit perfectly in the square spar support.

DIAMOND 2500 (3 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2014, 03:51 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
Quote:
I went and installed the carbon spar that was mentioned in this thread and fit perfectly in the square spar support.

https://vimeo.com/97088419/settings
Great video Ken, loved the different camera angles. My Diamond is just about ready to go again, just need to solder up the ESC and OSD connections. 25mph gusting to 30 just now so I don't think I'll be flying her today!

It's amazing what a thorough rinse followed by a slow dry can do for electronics. My £100 R7008SB Rx and Robbe variometer are both fine, as is the video Tx (I didn't actually rinse this, just squirted a load of Corrosion-X into the connectors). Corrosion got to the OSD in the four hours she was in the sea, although I could probably fix it (some of the connectors have come away from the board). The ESC and the two UBECs were fried, as was the 4S flight battery (totally discharged).

This time I'm just going to use the SBEC built in to the 60A Cyclone Power ESC, It's 5A so should provide plenty for the servos. I have a spare 8A SBEC that I'll connect to the 3S bus for the camera, with 12V coming straight from the battery for the video Tx and the OSD.

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:58 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
My D2500 is flying again! I redesigned the internal layout under the canopy a little, it's a bit neater now. I've also replaced the flight and FPV batteries with a 4S 2650mAh 30C Nano Tech and 3S 1800mAh 20C compact respectively. Both these batteries are flatter and lighter than the previous ones, bringing the overall weight down to 2400g.

The updated and cleaner installation under the canopy

With the batteries in the position above and 15g of lead on the tail she balances at 80mm. For windy days I can move the batteries a bit further forward to achieve 75mm.

The right wing suffered a bend in the steel tube where the wing rod ends. It straightened up fine but there was fatigue in the steel and would bend again easily. I cut a 25mm channel in the foam above the tube and epoxied a 5mm carbon tube to the metal and foam - rock solid now!

I've had a couple of flights with her so far, both line of site but with the FPV gear running. She's flying great, no issues at all Here's a short video of one of the flights, the first minute filmed with my new Phantom 2 quad. There should have been some Möbius footage but I forgot to take the lens cap off!

St Ninian's Tombolo (2 min 44 sec)

St Ninain's Tombolo, an incredibly scenic place to fly

Happy flying!

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:12 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
My D2500 is flying again! I redesigned the internal layout under the canopy a little, it's a bit neater now. I've also replaced the flight and FPV batteries with a 4S 2650mAh 30C Nano Tech and 3S 1800mAh 20C compact respectively. Both these batteries are flatter and lighter than the previous ones, bringing the overall weight down to 2400g.

The updated and cleaner installation under the canopy

With the batteries in the position above and 15g of lead on the tail she balances at 80mm. For windy days I can move the batteries a bit further forward to achieve 75mm.

The right wing suffered a bend in the steel tube where the wing rod ends. It straightened up fine but there was fatigue in the steel and would bend again easily. I cut a 25mm channel in the foam above the tube and epoxied a 5mm carbon tube to the metal and foam - rock solid now!

I've had a couple of flights with her so far, both line of site but with the FPV gear running. She's flying great, no issues at all Here's a short video of one of the flights, the first minute filmed with my new Phantom 2 quad. There should have been some Möbius footage but I forgot to take the lens cap off!

http://vimeo.com/99668029

St Ninain's Tombolo, an incredibly scenic place to fly

Happy flying!

Rory
Rory that was an awesome video, liked the music you had with it. Glad you got it back in the air.
The motor is not messing up the GPS (being so close to motor)??
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:16 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Looks like Hobbyking just released another version. So there's now the Art Tech Diamond, Robbe Arcus Sport and the BFG 2600 from Hobbyking.

One of the guys at our club flew one tonight and it did great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:12 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
Diamond Soaring on the Banks

Here's a video of the Diamond soaring at The Knab, Lerwick on Saturday evening. Even at 2.5kg with all the extra kit she was getting plenty of lift from the force 3 to 4 breeze. Soaring while viewing through the FPV monitor is a whole new experience!

D2500 Evening Soaring at The Knab (4 min 8 sec)

Cheers,

Rory

More R/C aerial videos on my Shetland Flyer Vimeo Channel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:29 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
426 Posts
Quote:
Wow! You did great on putting this video up...Loved It! The best news is you found it and retrieved it. Great story could be told at the Pub
When flying FPV the antenna's have to be seeing LOS also going behind hills or buildings you will loose visual. 5.8Ghz has more of an issue of that also. But I can tell you enjoyed it and did not give up by getting the parts on order

Really liked the song. Would like to use it sometime "what was it?"
Cheers!

The song is "Adventure, Darling" by Gillicuddy, available from the Free Music Archive.

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member