905 Posts
see my post above. It's the same as what you called "up trim"
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Reflex is when your elevons are trimmed up so to speak, when looking at the side of your plane sitting on a table your TOP surface of the elevator should be in the same plane as the bottom of the wing... Roughly. For my maidens i sit the plane on table and put some weight on the side im lookin at, then i adjust the clamp on the push rod so my elevon top is parallel to the table. Simething like this
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
It's pretty difficult to get the plane to actually balance on the pins, but you should be able to find the spot at which it wobbles either way, depending on how you hold it. So, where exactly does your plane balance?

the amount of "up" that's programmed into the elevons when you're not touching the sticks. the elevons "at rest" should be angled just slightly higher than the angle of the surface of the wing, as if it's pulling up slightly.

And thus, this might be one big problem.

Why, what's different about it? What don't you like?

And one last thing--I looked at your picture and noticed you don't have any winglets on the wing tips. Those chloroplast pieces that came with the kit should be attached on the wing tips to keep the wing from wagging back and forth. Some people like to leave them off, but then you have to cut a flat-faced diagonal from the leading edge of the wing tips, to produce the same effect. The chloroplast works a lot better, though.

Without any winglets to stabilize the wing, plus no reflex (or up-trim) in the elevons, that's probably enough to make it un-flyable.
I'll try the push pins again, and let you know.

I left the winglets off because I was worried about the durability of them in the inevitable crashes. Those are the only things I've heard anyone mention as a weak point for durability.

I guess I need to re-read the reflex part in the instructions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Lack of reflex is definitely one of your major problems!
Blu
Sorry I missed elCapitans post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
elCapitan answered this question but here it is again.

the amount of "up" that's programmed into the elevons when you're not touching the sticks. the elevons "at rest" should be angled just slightly higher than the angle of the surface of the wing, as if it's pulling up slightly.
Thanks.
Thursday is offline Find More Posts by Thursday
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Reflex is when your elevons are trimmed up so to speak, when looking at the side of your plane sitting on a table your TOP surface of the elevator should be in the same plane as the bottom of the wing... Roughly. For my maidens i sit the plane on table and put some weight on the side im lookin at, then i adjust the clamp on the push rod so my elevon top is parallel to the table. Simething like this
Thanks for that picture.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:12 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
No problem man, pictures get the point across better than my thumbs lol
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
The prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
My plane balances nice with the 2200 3s up front and the motor recommended on the site, battery is starting exactly 2.5 inches back from nose, cog is 6 3/8 from nose... Check you motor mount too. I had crashed a few times and it bent forward.. Was a pain to get any climb it was as if my elevator was always staling
Well, by this picture the prop is correctly mounted anyway.
The picture didn't come with my remarks but find it and look if you're not certain as to the proper propeller mounting. Curved side forward.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Last edited by Chico John; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: edit
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:19 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
You know, I thought the same thing about winglets, but I just didn't get the stability I wanted by cutting the front corners flat. I mean, you have to do one or the other; without either, you're wagging all around. But the winglets just make it so much more stable.

And once I put them on, I've used my Assassin in all sorts of combat, including sWARm, and have NEVER had them break or fall off. I'm sure they can, I just don't think it's all that common. The Goop glue and a strip or two of tape work great.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Do you have a picture of the winglets attached? Mine are big and need some trimming I'm not sure which way to do it.

I set the reflex on my elevons. Now when I look down the nose my right elevon is higher, but only towards the prop. I don't think it's flat.

The push pin show its nose heavy.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:39 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
Do you have a picture of the winglets attached? Mine are big and need some trimming I'm not sure which way to do it.
The winglets and how to attach them is all included in the instructions. Those pdf's are pretty useful, and kept up to date.

Here are some pictures, though

Quote:
I set the reflex on my elevons. Now when I look down the nose my right elevon is higher, but only towards the prop. I don't think it's flat.
There's another issue, but pretty easy to fix. Just re-heat it with the iron, and place something heavy over it while it dries. If it's just a little bit, you can do it just like that. If it's pretty severe, you might have to remove the elevon from the wing, heat it up and flatten it by itself, then re-attach it.

Quote:
The push pin show its nose heavy.
Then you have a couple options: add weight to the tail (less desireable), or move the battery a little back. If you have some scraps of foam around, and some white Gorilla Glue, it's really easy to patch up the front part of the current battery bay to fill it in.

Getting the wing to balance on the proper CG, as per instructions, is pretty critical.

Keep us posted!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Ive done what elcapitan has shown but ive used 5 minute epoxy and i trim round the front end, then goop the joint where fin meets wing

Heres the twins, Ive abused the black one but its still in great shape, and im going to try this night flyin business, just finished the glow machine tonight
Last edited by elliott000; Dec 05, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
304 Posts
RC Bowling

So my friend and I finally got the cones set up for RC bowling. We never got close! What's the trick?
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:52 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,362 Posts
The warped elevon won't affect the way it flies. Get it trimmed properly and unless it bugs you, leave it alone.

The amount of reflex needed can vary greatly from wing to wing.
A couple of planes that I fly regularly have as much as a 1/4 inch up from neutral.

As far as cg goes anywhere from 6.25 to 6.5 should be fine. A little nose heavy won't hurt, any tail heavy is likely to cause you problems.

Don't over think the size and shape of the winglets. Cut them down to a shape you like. I paint mine in flourescent colors and it really helps with orientaion in the air. I install mine flush with the bottom of the wing, not overhanging the front. One loop of extreme tape holds them well, if you lose one, no big, find a piece of coroplast and keep a few spares around. I lose fins so seldom that I usually don't even keep a spare in my fight box.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:02 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,362 Posts
I've since changed the shape but I use the same exact ones on all of my wngs

jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Last edited by jetpackninja; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Thanks everyone for the outpouring of help. I'll try again next weekend.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:31 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
I ordered my Assassin kit today. Got bit by the "wing" bug by a Mini Popwing. Time to move up . I fly with several guys that fly the larger Popwing's and Superfly's. I'm hoping the Assassin will give them more trouble than they can give me
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap