HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2007, 03:39 PM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
Discussion
Dont EVER buy Ben Buckle kits

This is priceless....

On a different UK website, I posted a problem with a Ben Buckle kit where all the pre cut parts didnt match the plans by a huge margin. I did this afte receiving no response to my email and letter to Colin Buckle.

To my suprise , Colin responds and ignoring the problems raised, tries to flog some of his kits.

Have a read and see why I posted here!!

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/f...N/1724/V/6/SP/
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2007, 04:33 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
The sales pitch does seem a bit out of place in that thread, but he did offer his number and his help. Seems like the next step is to simply call him and discuss the problem.

My BB Junior 60 kit wasn't bad at all. Minor adjustments needed, but my guess that was from humidity induced expansion and contraction. Sounds like your issue is quite different. Good luck!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 09, 2007, 05:29 PM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Ben Buckle Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbeat
The sales pitch does seem a bit out of place in that thread, but he did offer his number and his help. Seems like the next step is to simply call him and discuss the problem.

My BB Junior 60 kit wasn't bad at all. Minor adjustments needed, but my guess that was from humidity induced expansion and contraction. Sounds like your issue is quite different. Good luck!
I must respond to your post. Some long while ago I built a BB Outlaw and Junior 60 and I did find that the fit of the precut parts was very poor. Due to this I decided at that time that I would build no more Ben Buckle kits. However, I was asked to build a Red Zephyr kit for a friend, bought against my advice, and found it to be excellent both in fit and wood selection. It is perhaps the case that the quality control was not too good a one time, but my more recent experienced would seem to show that this has greatly improved. I am not normally a builder from kits, far prefering to build from a plan with wood of my own selection, but without doubt the Red Zephyr kit proved kit building to be an acceptable way forward if you don`t like cutting parts. I must say that being a modeller of many years, the cutting out was an enjoyable part of the building process. It was always necessary with the kits of my era, Kiel Kraft, Frog, etc, and was accepted as a necessary part of producing a model built by yourself. I bought my kit directly from Ben Buckle kits, and enclosed was a very nice letter from Colin Buckle wishing me luck with my project; a very nice touch I thought. It goes without saying that I have no connection with Ben Buckle other than as a satisfied customer.
imp.bob is offline Find More Posts by imp.bob
Old Nov 09, 2007, 06:09 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
What you have to realize is that Ben Buckle kits are truly authentic kits. They evoke the days of plans that were printed in ammonia soaked blotting paper, with a dimensional stability of wet noodles, band sawn rock wood cut by eye by British craftsmen laid off from Morris Motors on account of being unable to fit a left hand wing to the right hand side of a Morris Minor.."Buy British" campaigns by colonel Blimps, and the joy of spending two months trying to build a plane, 6 months running the diesel engine in (on the few occasions that it would start) to finally launch your creation into the Chobham skies, in order to either see it crash within 3 seconds, or fly away forever.

Intimating that any other sort of modelling experience is anything other than crass, "modern" and deeply unmanly, is an insult to Colin and Ben, and the great British tradition of which they are such outstanding examples.

The world would be a different place without people like these to remind us of the Good Old Days of Cold Boiled Cabbage, Austerity and Corporal Punishment. I suppose you are the sort of person who has 'central heating' and 'takes a shower' as well. Shame on you..This sort of wingeing unmanliness is typical of a modern generation who never had to scrape the ice off the inside of their dormitory windows, and face a teaspoonful of hot water in which to perform their daily ablutions, before donning their 'long johns' and v-necked pullovers and camel coats to face a hostile world, and sustain themselves solely on dreams of Empire, Cricket at Lords, and Warm Beer.

Do you think Nelson's Seamen had laser cut balls? No sir! They did not! Life in his Majesty's Service was just as much about chipping every ball to fit their bores, as much as it was 'Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash' as one 'modern' historian would have it. Disgraceful!

We beat those garlic breathing frog eating surrender monkeys by careful fettling and honing. That's how empires are made!

You should be grateful for the Buckles for providing you with something that is rare and precious in these days of 'borrow and spend' throwaway consumerism. A Challenge, Sir!. If you had been more manly, and joined the Scouts instead of performing unspeakable acts of in the dormitory, you would have had the skill, attitude and training to turn a few sticks, a Bowie knife and a woggle into a fully functional Hawker Hurricane.

Intead what have we? a complaint that not only can you not turn a few simple pieces of balsa wood into a correctly flying aeroplane, but worse, you seek to place the blame elsewhere with an unpatriotic slur on a British Company, and finally, when the Owner - not some petty supernumerary mark you - the Owner! deigns to honour you with his telephone number and invitation to call you complain still further! Of course he doesn't understand your problem. Who would?

I am sure there are companies - companies so called, of lesser stature and certainly not run by Gentlemen of the Old School - who cater for your perversions with accurately cut pieces of balsa wood that fall together when you shake the box, needing only to be soused in Cyanoacrylate in order to create a perfectly balanced structure with which the merest Brownie could hardly fail to commit aviation. No doubt they also include 'radio control' and 'electric motors' Pah!. Personally I blame the Japanese. Having failed to beat us in a fair fight, they have resorted to the most unmanly and unmanning method of warfare: to rot the moral fiber of a nation by gulling them into a false sense of confidence with 'ready to fly' Rice paper Rubbish!

Good heavens man! where will it all end? In my day we kept cans of diesel fuel - avidly sniffed between lessons - in our school desks. Not copies of 'Playboy'. If WE removed the underwear from an innocent young lady, it was in desperation, to cover our latest bamboo and balsa cement creation with!

The Youth of today

[cont p94]
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 09, 2007, 07:26 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Ben Buckle kits

Wow
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 09, 2007, 07:29 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
The mind BOGGLES.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Nov 09, 2007, 07:40 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,966 Posts
I can laugh at the satire in the post by Vintage but in reality he is closer to the mark than perhaps he knows. I used to work at Boscombe Down on fighters and bombers of the 50's and 60's and very rarely were any two exactly the same. Oh, the intent was there but so were the differences and so it went in motor cars of that era. It wasn't until the Japanese came along and taught us that components should fit first time every time that we slowly woke from that lethargy.
As to Buckle Kits I've built a number over the years and each has gone together very well but invariably with that "fettling" required but equally all have flown well. What it might pay us to remember is that Ben and Colin, of course, have over a long time provided a source of vintage kits that virtually NO ONE else ever wanted to fill. That doesn't mean that I don't see better stuff being marketed and produced by more modern methods but I have to recognise that in many respects Ben Buckle kick started the vintage movement both in the UK and here in Australia with his plans and kits.
If they require work then think of it this way, it's good for the soul and does wonders for your patience and ingenuity. Where else will you get a lesson in building skills?
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Nov 09, 2007, 08:06 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
What you have to realize is that Ben Buckle kits are truly authentic .... desperation, to cover our latest bamboo and balsa cement creation with!

The Youth of today

[cont p94]

lol

(where's the button to nominate for "best post" in the Sarcasm category?)
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 09, 2007, 08:59 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Ben Buckle

My only beef is that they are not readily available here in Canada. I think Radical RC in the states is my only option. I have purchased several from Ebay and although I did not build it, only restored the aircraft one of my best flier's is the Majestic Major. Just an awsum flying airplane and also qualified to carry a payload.
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 09, 2007, 10:40 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
435 Posts
At the risk of sounding sycophantic, I can't say it better than V1 did above.

I've built a number of BB kits and, yep, they don't always fit straight out of the box, but the wood has generally been good, pretty much all there, and the plan is there. Above all, you generally can't get a kit for these models anywhere else. All the ones I've built have flown well after trimming.

Sadly, the average age for old-timer builders probably goes up 1 year every year, so the market for them isn't getting any bigger...
johnvb is online now Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:20 AM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
Sirs,

Vin , you made me spit my coffee out on the keyboard!!

I Would agree with the beauty of the finished article but when does a 'challenge' stop and 'need to recut all the bits and therefore negate why I bought a kit in the first place 'start.

I started with the wings and they were fine, probably the best ones Ive ever built. It was the fuselage formers that did me in.

Why doesnt colin buckle go the whole hog and sell 'kits' consisting of a fuzzy 1940's picture of a model in flight with a couple of rough sawn planks of balsa ripped from the tree? Now thats nostalga!!
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:34 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,121 Posts
I've only ever bought plans from Ben Buckle & I have to say the service was excellent. Ofcourse, building from a plan eliminates such complaints as poor wood selection...
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Nov 10, 2007, 03:57 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,452 Posts
Snorks
I think that would put you in 'LMF' in Vins mind

Adamtc
If you want to get Colin going ask him about 'Buckles Buckle'...if he has any trouble with his memory mention the word Blanik.......that'll get him going!
Feel free to blame me

Regards
Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 10, 2007, 04:56 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtc

Why doesnt colin buckle go the whole hog and sell 'kits' consisting of a fuzzy 1940's picture of a model in flight with a couple of rough sawn planks of balsa ripped from the tree? Now thats nostalga!!
I hope he doesn't because that is usually the starting point of a new design for me..

Joking apart, the kits are what they are. Take them or leave them. The satire was merely to contrast two attitudes to vintage modelling and bring them into sharp relief.

Glad you enjoyed it.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
I sure enjoyed it.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M