Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:49 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
TurboCad (IMSI) free edition has taken a step back

After a couple guys pointed out that my plans would not load up in the 'new' Learning Edition of TurboCad, I did some investigation.

Not that long ago, IMSI offered a free dowload of TurboCad 2D v6.5. It had to be registered, which I did, and I fell in love with it for simple mechanical designs. I also liked to use it to downgrade drawings which were sent to me from AutoCad 2000, since I use AutoCad LT98, which is V14 compatible.

Anyway, the link which I put on my page suddenly transformed one day into 'TurboCad Learning Edition', and now will not load up the TC v6.5 or AC 2000 or AC v14 files. It will, however load AC v12.

So, here's what I have to do to publish useable plans for the free TurboCad:

From TurboCad Standard 6.5, save as AutoCad .dwg w/ v12 option,
Load into TurboCad Learning Edition, and save as TurboCad .tcw.

The same Kind of thing must be done for DXF files. And, of course this screws up text formatting....

Of course this requires 2 different computers, and a walk into the house from the garage...

Any better suggestions? Any other Free Cad programs that will handle AutoCad 2000 files?

I'll start on the conversion process tonight.

Gene
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2002, 11:33 AM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
542 Posts
I recently saw Turbo Cad Designer 3D at Comp USA for $29. It is a nice program.

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Apr 30, 2002, 02:54 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Lake Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
86 Posts
I have no ideal just how well this will work, but I have just finished loading a dfx plan into it. Looked pretty good. You're experience may differ. Nonetheless, it's a freebee for both Windows and Unix/Linux platforms. You can check it out here .
ThunderChicken is offline Find More Posts by ThunderChicken