HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:15 PM
xzd
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2004
41 Posts
Build Log
Revival of Hobbyking 1700mm Giant P-40N

The Hobbyking 1700mm P-40N is a huge nice-looking plane with a lot of scale functions. I loved to fly mine but crashed it after only 4 flights because both wings folded in the sky! It was a bad crash and I even lost my CC ICE100 from that. I collected all the pieces and went back home with disappointment. It was sitting in my garage for a few months and I decided to repair it today. Here is the starting point:
xzd is offline Find More Posts by xzd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:26 PM
xzd
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2004
41 Posts
After the crash I was able to see the wing structure design, which was way too weak for such huge wing span. There was only several narrow layers of plywood (marked in the red circle), and this problem is even worse because the huge wheel bays one both wings to fit the main gears.
xzd is offline Find More Posts by xzd
Old Jun 26, 2014, 07:58 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
704 Posts
Seriously??!!! That's all there was for a wing spar for that size of plane?! No wonder the wings taco'ed! You can make it better and stronger! Near boiling water application, white GG, CF arrows will be your best friends! Good luck.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Jun 26, 2014, 05:06 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Seriously??!!! That's all there was for a wing spar for that size of plane?! No wonder the wings taco'ed! You can make it better and stronger! Near boiling water application, white GG, CF arrows will be your best friends! Good luck.
Sally, FWIW, this is the first I've heard of an outright 'taco-wing' incident with this airplane. There are things we don't know about the handling of it to lead to a failure like this though I have no reason to doubt it couldn't happen, ...probably bound to eventually. Some flexing has been noted over time with some but no failures that I can remember like this.

Here's the main thread running for this P-40N: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410876 if you're interested in more details of what's been going on with it.

xzd - Wishing you good luck with the rebuild... ...
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82