HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, MN, Duluth
Joined Nov 2013
8 Posts
Question
Apprentice tail dragger mod ?

Has anyone done a taildragger mod to the E-flite apprentice & if so how did it work out? I would like to get an Apprentice but where I will be flying it is grass & I am worried that with a nose wheel the plane will always flip over on landing. I am contemplating doing this, or... taking all the electronics, motor, basically everything out of an Apprentice & putting it in a Hobbyzone super cub & adding ailerons.
krashking is offline Find More Posts by krashking
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2013, 01:24 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,447 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443107
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:03 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
I converted a Corvallis to tail dragger. I just left the tail wheel caster style no steering worked well.
Not sure how the gyro system would like this but I assume it would be able to deal with it.
Wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,519 Posts
Guys at our grass field fly the Apprentice off grass without to much problem. You have to install larger wheels. I forget now which size I put on, but it helped allot. We do keep our field cut short which helps. If you are flying off of unmaintained grass it would be a problem.

The Apprentice just about jumps off the ground so there isn't usually a long take off run. So the tri gear works OK, but landing is a different story. If the grass is to long it will tip over.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:17 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,904 Posts
All other factors being equal, a taildragger is going to tip over before tricycle will.

If I'm going to fly a plane off grass I put fairly large wheels on it... on the order of 2.5" or larger.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:21 PM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
849 Posts
The taildragger conversion is super easy.
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Jan 01, 2014, 02:09 PM
Joined Nov 2013
8 Posts
Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 01, 2014, 05:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
849 Posts
Tail dragger.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:20 AM
Noobius RCus
United States, TX, Seabrook
Joined Dec 2013
40 Posts
I am waiting on my parts from Dubro to convert mine. Using the Steerable tail wheel.
THEfishingMEDIC is offline Find More Posts by THEfishingMEDIC
Old Jan 02, 2014, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2013
8 Posts
A tail dragger AND a twin engine mod !!! Wow! How does it fly?
Old Jan 02, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2012
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashking View Post
A tail dragger AND a twin engine mod !!! Wow! How does it fly?
That picture is from the second twin conversion. The first time it had two Parkzone 480s on it. It wasn't fast enough, so I put those ridiculous Donkeys on it spinning 12x8 props. It was plenty fast then, but way too heavy. Flew well though. If I did it again, I would get EFlite 480s spinning 11 or 12 inch props.

I ended up putting it back to single motor, and now it is retired.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashking View Post
Has anyone done a taildragger mod to the E-flite apprentice & if so how did it work out? I would like to get an Apprentice but where I will be flying it is grass & I am worried that with a nose wheel the plane will always flip over on landing. I am contemplating doing this, or... taking all the electronics, motor, basically everything out of an Apprentice & putting it in a Hobbyzone super cub & adding ailerons.
Works fine with tricycle gear on our grass field. I did put 3" dubro microlite white spoke wheels on it and it handles it well even when grass needs to be mowed with these. Easier to take off and land with tri-gear too. Everybody around here has a T28 it seems also, and they do fine with tricycle gear on the grass also. Some run the dubros on the T28's but several only run the stock wheels.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined Oct 2010
119 Posts
don't worry about an Apprentice tail dragger tipping over in grass. It is WAAAY too long for that. (dist between mains and tailwheel) Don't get too big on the tires. More weight and drag, seriously degrading the performance on the marginal stock motor. I time, slap a Power15 and a Pro 40 ESC (both E-Flight) and it'll vastly improve all flight dynamics. JMHO (I have a great flying taildragger and an Apprentice float plane)
jamboF4 is online now Find More Posts by jamboF4