HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:06 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,409 Posts
Yes, of course - but you don't have to use all three axes of any 3-axis stab. At the prices of the more upmarket jobs, just using one axis of the three is still cheaper than a single axis unit... anyway I haven't got shares in Orange (or anywhere) - I'm just impressed with the difference these things make.

I can fully understand the Rapide being thrown about - I am proposing to equip my Dragonfly. I am tending to the view that I may as well buy enough for all six memory slots on my Tx to make the best use of the postage... but leaving myself a few days to 'settle down' a bit.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:41 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
559 Posts
Here is Mini Aquabird I built couple years ago using 5 mm Depron. The model was good flyer. Only shortcoming it had were the tip floats. They needed to have more buoyancy in front of the leading edge. Sometime on takeoff, when the tail lifted the water would spill over the tip floats and the takeoff had to be aborted. I was going to modify the tip floats, but I never did. I think, the model had 34" wingspan.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:50 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Thanks, Laddie. Very nice. You ought to publish the little one as well!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:50 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,823 Posts
You know we have to ask, any plans available for that "Short" version?\

Very nice!
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2013, 08:53 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Hi Trevor

Thinking about the business of protecting servos that are close to the waterline.. I saw this excellent link to a pocket system.

nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Sep 02, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,863 Posts
Nick, I have seen that system for producing invisible linkages before but have always imagined that it would be difficult to make it slop-free. For the Aquabird ailerons it would mean that there was a rotating shaft to be sealed rather than a sliding one, which would be a bit easier.

Yesterday I spotted that something had gone awry with the rudder movement. On investigation, it seems that the little gyro I installed to counteract the fishtailing has lost the plot somewhat. Although it still responds to aircraft movements okay, it's neutral is way off and deflection in one direction is severely limited. The only adjustment on the gyro is for gain so it looks like I need to treat the Aquabird to a new gyro.

Anyone got any suggestions for a small simple (i.e. cheap!) rate gyro? Most of them seem to be heading hold types nowadays, but I expect that feature can be turned off.

Trevor
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Sep 03, 2013, 12:58 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
Nick, I have seen that system for producing invisible linkages before but have always imagined that it would be difficult to make it slop-free. For the Aquabird ailerons it would mean that there was a rotating shaft to be sealed rather than a sliding one, which would be a bit easier.

Yesterday I spotted that something had gone awry with the rudder movement. On investigation, it seems that the little gyro I installed to counteract the fishtailing has lost the plot somewhat. Although it still responds to aircraft movements okay, it's neutral is way off and deflection in one direction is severely limited. The only adjustment on the gyro is for gain so it looks like I need to treat the Aquabird to a new gyro.

Anyone got any suggestions for a small simple (i.e. cheap!) rate gyro? Most of them seem to be heading hold types nowadays, but I expect that feature can be turned off.

Trevor
Futaba GY-240 is what I use for most of my airplane stuff. Most of the Heading lock gyros have a gain lead that you can adjust with your transmitter. If you reduce the rate below a certain amount, the gyro will enter rate mode instead of heading hold.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Sep 03, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,863 Posts
Being a cheapskate, I was wondering whether this one would do?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26075
Old Sep 03, 2013, 01:02 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Ought to, but you will have to assign a channel to the gyro gain and set the travel on that channel to less than 50%, if I remember correctly.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,863 Posts
Thanks. As it happens, I do have a spare receiver channel so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably orde it in the next day or two.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 06:45 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
If I remember correctly, you were having some issues with pitch sensitivity as well. If you use one of these you could solve both problems at once.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 03:02 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,863 Posts
I've fitted those devices to my Rapide (to stop it being tossed around in anything more than 2mph winds) and the Addiction X (to make it look like I can fly knife edge!) and they do work very well. However, the pitch issues on the Aquabird have been resolved by bringing the cg forward and progressively reducing the elevator movement so it's really just a bit of yaw damping I'm looking for.

It's interesting though that the Guardian is less expensive than many single axis gyros so that does sort of justify my cheapskate approach!