Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Thanks.

As for HH, I tried it more than once while I was testing the unit but personally, it caused me to develop a bad habit... letting go of the stick... and when I go back to my other 3D balsa planes, I forget ... so now, I just keep the Direct Rate with no HH. It gives me a feeling of still full control over the plane and yet the effects of the wind is very minimal, if any.

The 2D on the other hand is very good for teaching new flyers. I had my grandson use it in a trainer. First time he ever flew an RC plane and I just reminded him to let go of the stick when he is in trouble and fly high. No traning cord at all, I just stay by his side, in case. Of course, I had the model trimmed properly and the Guardian setup and test flown myself before I gave it to him.
Understood. Could you pm me the motor you used in the flat foamy.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
752 Posts
hey ricoalonso,
with hh disabled and dr enabled would you share what your settings were for pitch, roll and yaw, in hz also what your derivative gain was at and if your pots were set maxed until oscillations started and then backed off or something lower. that's the same size as my sbach, edge and yak scratchbuilts

thanks, (sorry to be so demanding)
michael clyde

guess you could just post your config file and i could change the servo endpoints, huh
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Michael,
No problem. Here's a copy of my config file. Most of the values are default except for 3D Direct Rate is enabled with HH disabled, Servo Range were also modified to custom 1100 - 1900 limits. I did not spend much time in servo limits since this is EPP foam and things will just stretch a little if ever the servo has a little over-max. If you load the config, you should be able to see my pot gain settings... which I think is almost 75% for all three. I am flying with a simple 4-ch Rx so no master gain control and is always at 40% (default).
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,275 Posts
If anyone is interested in getting a Guardian 2D/3D unit they are available cheaply from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Tree-G...item20c9ac3f1c

I did an offer of 64.99 which was accepted. This was my second unit...my 1st unit I paid more
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Oct 2008
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
If anyone is interested in getting a Guardian 2D/3D unit they are available cheaply from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Tree-G...item20c9ac3f1c

I did an offer of 64.99 which was accepted. This was my second unit...my 1st unit I paid more
Wow and I ordered two at full price.
I called and they are in stock.
willy43 is online now Find More Posts by willy43
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
helikeith
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Flapperons

I have a JR11x that is configured to use flapperons on my escapade 61. I have installed the guardian and i am not clear on the ideal configuration using dual aileron servos. should the mixing be done by the guardian or the radio. and whichever one how should I configure the unit.. Now I have mixing turned off in the guardian..

On the first flight mixing was on and i believe it contributed to a bad ending.!!

Thanks
keith hertzog is offline Find More Posts by keith hertzog
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
752 Posts
hey keith,
you didn't live around austin, tx. in the late 70's did you?
i could "quote from the manual" on guardians' ability to accept premixed signals but, i have absolutely no experience with jr radios so i'll back off , unless no one helps you out.

michael clyde
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
752 Posts
hey rico,

thanks a bunch. i have to be ready to fly before 5am these days since the temp. in san bernacesspool bernardino the last week or so easily goes over 110* and i don't have enough moola to rent the staples center in la, i'm pulling the "dawn patrol" and i'm "ASS-U-MEing" the file will make intelligent decisions at 5am a little easier, if there is such a thing.

thanks again,
michael clyde
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
752 Posts
that ebay seller at the above link appears to be rctoys.com aka draganfly innovations inc. out of saskagawhatever, canada. my first unit came from them and was beat up a bit in transit to ca. i sent them pictures of the unit and initially thought i was going to have to ship it back and that they were going to jack me around for whatever reason. then while waiting for the first to arrive so i could afford to pay for the shipping , kyle sent me an email saying i could keep the unit i had and they would ship me a new one in a beefier style of package as soon as new stock arrived. i got a shipping notice about 6 or 7 days ago. turns out to be an upstanding place to do business with, at least imo.
i know myself am always concerned about ebay merchants until i've done business with them, especially with the few rc dollars i have available.

michael clyde
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
that ebay seller at the above link appears to be rctoys.com aka draganfly innovations inc. out of saskagawhatever, canada. my first unit came from them and was beat up a bit in transit to ca. i sent them pictures of the unit and initially thought i was going to have to ship it back and that they were going to jack me around for whatever reason. then while waiting for the first to arrive so i could afford to pay for the shipping , kyle sent me an email saying i could keep the unit i had and they would ship me a new one in a beefier style of package as soon as new stock arrived. i got a shipping notice about 6 or 7 days ago. turns out to be an upstanding place to do business with, at least imo.
i know myself am always concerned about ebay merchants until i've done business with them, especially with the few rc dollars i have available.

michael clyde
Thanks good to know. I have ordered 2 of them. Hopefully packaged correctly
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
After flying the Beast3D for the past year, Ive just ordered one of these for a new project not sure yet if its going to go in a Ultimate AMR or an Extra 260 as im only on page 37 of the thread so go a lot of catching up to do lol !!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
752 Posts
simon,
in post 1489 there are 2 d/loadable pdf's with the complete thread up to post 1480 or so, plus a portable pdf viewer that will search pdf files. if you have your user controls set to 100 post per page there are only 15 or 16 pages total. if your on page 37 then in the pdf's your on page 1

michael clyde
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Thanks Michael. I know im jumping ahead of myself but im just trying to plan ahead, regarding the DX6i and gain adjustment does any electronic wiz know if its possible to swap out the gear switch for a variable knob type from one of my old tx's???
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Thanks Michael. I know im jumping ahead of myself but im just trying to plan ahead, regarding the DX6i and gain adjustment does any electronic wiz know if its possible to swap out the gear switch for a variable knob type from one of my old tx's???
I don't think so because the gear switch is discrete switch and the gain is looking for proportional input. You'd have to be a TX programmer to do that. So, either buy another radio or trick a spare 3 position switch into discrete values via adjusting trims at each switch position like 100%, 75% and 50%.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,251 Posts
Ok guys firstly thanks for all the info you've put on here. I am amazed at the knowledge this group has! I spent the past 3 days sifting through all the pages of this thread, lots to absorb but I think I am finally getting my head around it! My guardian should be here today and will start setting it up on my carbon z yak, running HS85mg servos all around. Using Dx7 so plan is to plug gain channel into gear and have two settings, one (switch position 0) factory default around 40% and second (switch position 1) a bit higher perhaps 60%. Here is my first question, should my gear settings then be 0 and 10? or 40 and 50??

Mod lead will plug into the flap channel and I understand that one so don't need any help there. -100, 0 and 100 it is for 3d, off and 2d.

On a side note I emailed Hitec to get some servo frequencies. Informed me HS85mg servos have a pulse frequency of 70hz so in the advanced tab will set it to 70. If successful with the yak going to put a unit in my 3dhs 57" extra 330. Running HS5245 and Hitec said their frequency is 250hz. Also they said HS225 are 70hz FYI.

Also will measure my servo travel with stabilization disabled and adjust output servo rages to match with stabilization activated. Question though, what does adjusting the minimum do?

One last thing of clarification, adjusting the pots. I understand rotating cw vs ccw will change servo direction, but what would be a good starting point? I see numbers of 40 to 50%. So my guess is from top neutral postion 40-50% of the full direction of travel one can possibly turn the pot in the correct direction to get propper control movement of control surface? I understand if it oscillates it is too high but would like to know a good starting point... start low and increase I guess. Thanks in advance!
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT