HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:39 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Build Log
41" Carbon Fibre Apparition Build

Heys guy's,

I haven't posted on here for a while as i have been busy with my new venture which is settling down now so i thought it's time for a new hull and build so i ordered in for myself a 41" CF Apparition, hmm. So i thought i'd share it with you guys on here as i miss the banter and some of the knowledge/ideas that you guys have.

Anyway here's some pics with some of the hardware;

As you can see i got the 150mm rudder with built in cable's which when placed on the back look's just right for this size hull, i also got some 3/16" version 3 stingers which are again perfect for this hull. As you can tell i've had a play with placement for the components and you'll notice that i'm thinking of putting a 40mm HOR motor mount in each sponson though the only problem is once the mount is in you can't get to the screws on the mout to adjust anything, so the mount would have to be assembled and loctite forever before it get's epoxied in. I would then place the esc's behind each motor again in the sponson's and lay the batteries on the tunnel floor with velcro and i'm contemplating making a Carbon fibre tray for which i can velcro and clamp them into.

I've been looking into using one of these though i'll have to wait until i've made my lipo tray as that is more crucial due to COG. If i can't get it in i'll use the standard HOR carbon servo mount featured in the pictures above. Here's the assembly i may use:

I'll be running;

2x Leopard 4082 1600kv Motors
2x Leopard 4068 water jackets
2x Seaking 180amp ESC's
4x Turnigy 3S 5000mah 40C lipo's ( 6S setup)
1x Fitec 21kg servo

In order for the 40mm motor mount to take 68mm water jackets i'm going to have to extend the carbon side on the mount to lengthen the mount so i'll remake them out of carbon as i'm going to need quite a bit for all the tray's i plan on making, i'm getting a local water jetting CNC company to do the cutting at they are very accurate and i don't have to deal with carbon dust which is extremely bad for your lungs.

Any suggestions or comment's would be apreciated, though i do have one question at the moment if anyone knows where would be the best place to mount dual flush pickups in the sponson's nearer the front or back, between which ride pads as obviously it needs to be where there is the most pressure acting against the hull to give good water flow?
rotorkilla is offline Find More Posts by rotorkilla
Last edited by rotorkilla; Jan 20, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:05 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Hey bud
pick ups need to go as far back as poss
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
On the last ride pad before the transom, it is then

Any ideas with the motor mount, shall i go for the 40mm mount and just fix it in as a perminant fixing by using red loctite?

The tray i wanted to make for the lipo's won't work as the 3S packs will foul the upper deck so i need to either wet lay CF sheeting to reinforce the floor or i could make a rigid tray and epoxy it straight onto the tunnel floor to give a rigid fixing and the velcro the packs in but i really wanted some way to clamp them in so they don't fly about in a blow over.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:39 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,989 Posts
You can try with three strips of CF, two on the outside of the batteries, one in the middle, for the whole length of the tunnel. Just cut some slots for the straps and lay a non-skid rubber mat under the batteries.
As for the motor mounts, try to find a solution to be able to get them out without hiring a laparoscopy laboratory....
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:19 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,174 Posts
Nice looking project roto. Looking forward to seeing this one take life.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornelP View Post
As for the motor mounts, try to find a solution to be able to get them out without hiring a laparoscopy laboratory....
I did think the same as i felt that the 40mm mounts weren't ideal but i want to use 4082 motors so there is a lot of weight, probably too much to just mount off the face of the motor.
I was contemplating making CF mounts though it will be fairly difficult to get the profile of the sponsons plus i'd have to come up with some way to support the rear of the motor.

Hmm, i'll put my thinking cap on again and see what i can come up with.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:06 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Update on what i’ve done so far just to get the ball rolling, none of the bolts have nuts on them and no glue or silicon has been used yet i just wanted to get some holes in the hull;

I may start the stingers in abit but to be honest i’m pretty tired today so i have some free time tomorrow i will get them drilled and test fitted. I’ve decided i’m going to lay anyother layer of CF on the hull as there is only 1 layer on the tunnel floor if you hold it up to the light so i’m ordering some cloth and resin to wet lay with.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Take a quick look at this diagram, which position A, B or C is the best location for the stinger to be mounted to the transom, thanks.

Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Hi mike
You want them as close to the tunnel as loss and about 3mm up from the of ride pad
Make sure you keep upright for adjust or you'll have your props towing in or out when you adjust the height
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
I went out this morning and got a rigid sheet of carbon fibre to make mounts and trays out of 3mm thick, 1m x 1m sheet of Carbon fibre cloth, resin and hardener, 1m of 8mm ID carbon fibre tube and some PU adhesive specially formulated for carbon fibre. I am going to lay the carbon fibre in the hull tomorrow but for tonight i have profiled the sponsons in order to make a rigid carbon fibre mount for the motors, i slipped a 68mm water jacket over the 4082 motor which surprisingly filed the hole body of the motor which means with the 40mm mount i would never of got the back ring on. I make a template out of ply, here it is lying on the carbon sheet it will be cut out of;

I know the holes are a little messy but i’ll tidy them when i drill the carbon mount, i then placed the ply template in position and bolted a 4082 motor with cooling jacket to it to check it was okay and it was. It is placed in so that the motor shaft is pointing at where the flexi will exit the hull through the stinger to keep the flexi as straight as possible.

Here’s the ply template for the rear support;

Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
That is one sexy hull.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2006
207 Posts
Where did you buy the rudder?
RayR is offline Find More Posts by RayR
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:26 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
He sells them
http://www.performancemodels.co.uk/
but get them to order
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:38 AM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I'm based in the UK so if you want one then i wouldn't be your best option due to shipping but if you speak to offshoreelectrics they should be able to get their hands on this rudder.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
For today’s progress i visited F1madness as we needed to have a chat about a few thing so i decided to take my things round there and we could lay the carbon fibre while we chatted, here’s what it looked like when we finished. Though at this point i’m not finished as we only laid the carbon cloth i’m now going to build up the layers on the tunnel floor until i get a glossy finish plus i want to run some resin into some corners at the rear for extra strength around the transom.