Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:41 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Thanks for the Compl. BTW you can have mine but the crate would have to be 3 meters long to fit it in. Hate to think about the shipping cost to UK. Before I completed this model I installed all mech. onto 4X2 inch timber crate frame and did dozens of test flights as such to make sure the "Gemini" was good enough to power it. It was the ugliest flying monster you have seen but flew great at 11 kg AUW. I used S/H car speedo cable to drive tail/r. because supplied 4mm cable would put another kilo+, Joe.
Thanks man, what's the flight duration? Maybe you could just fly it over!!
Where are you from, by the way?
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:05 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
I will just keep the elevators as is intead of doing an full moving stab. Those can be problematic unless well engineered. Freewing jets are a good example of stabs that could fail in flight. And have...lucky to get it down. Yes the Guanli Harrier seems to be from the stone age of foamy EDFs. I would like to see a big one with twin 90mm fans front and back.
Yeah I came to that conclusion too. I think I'll just keep the stock tail plane and elevator, but reshape it to look more like the HarII than the Shar. It looks like it needs to be moved forward a little too, or the fuselage needs extending under the tailplane. The vertical line that the trailing edge of the rudder makes, should meet up with the ventral fin underneath to look scale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
It is a great model, but just like any foamy it needs few little mods. On other hand what do you expect for $45- I think that's what I have seen it selling for on HK site. Last two years I have done well over 100 flights with mine and there is still not one dint on it, Joe.
Thanks Joe that is encouraging, you don't say if your using LG or hand launch?
Glenn.
wellington53 is online now Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Glad you like the picture, you probably saw my Lynx over in the scale helis section:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349288

Get one of these Guanli Harriers on order and have a go. What kind of Harrier were you thinking of doing? Mine's got to be GR9 - ZG477. It's the first one I ever worked on, back when it was a GR7, and one of the last ones I saw flying on the disbandment day.
i remember your lynx now , it was def that one , a really great build for a 450 size ,
not to sure on the harrier , will watch you guys build first see how you get on

thanks dave
kinghelichopter is online now Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:38 AM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
jofro - Would you mind posting some photos of how you reinforced the landing gear. I have mine ready to fly other than the gear. Seeing how flimsy it is, I've put the project aside until I come up with a solution for the gear.
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:33 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
I wouldn't be able to help myself, I'd just throw it!!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:23 AM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Well a week has gone by since I orderd mine, I know I'm going to have to wait another week or so
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrimmer View Post
jofro - Would you mind posting some photos of how you reinforced the landing gear. I have mine ready to fly other than the gear. Seeing how flimsy it is, I've put the project aside until I come up with a solution for the gear.
Hi, I used 1/2mm piano wire to brace up those spindly mains and modified the nose gear by using 3mm c/f rod as brace at rear. It works fine off any grass field. I got inspiration from that lovely "Harrier" pic above so my next one I will hand colour the same way putting all the foam rocketry I can find under the wings. I might even build the main gear as on full size but it will need lot of speed for take off and very shallow landings to make it work, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Last edited by jofro; Sep 28, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Thanks man, what's the flight duration? Maybe you could just fly it over!!
Where are you from, by the way?
I was born in beautiful "High Tatra" mnt. hows your geography?, Joe.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Using a balsa block I shaped up plug I will use to make fibre glass mould to make my new exhaust nozzels . I'm using liquid glass on my balsa plug for easy removal. Nozzels exit will be 75-80% of the fan intake so I believe I should get some decent performance out of this set up. Joe.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:31 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
I was born in beautiful "High Tatra" mnt. hows your geography?, Joe.
In Poland? Well I'll admit, I had to Google it!! It looks beautifull, do you still live there? I don't know why, but I thought you were in the USA now?
Thanks for posting pictures of your build, it's very helpfull to see someone who's building their 2nd Harrier with modifications. I think the deflector nozzles you've made should do the trick.
Did you mention you were inspired by my picture? The one I posted is unarmed and just has 2 x 'Big Jugs' (2000lb external tanks) on the inboard pylons, and a chaff launcher on the outrigger pylons. If you need any advice on detailing, I'm your man!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Thanks for the pictures jofro. I replaced the nose gear yesterday with a Dubro 1/2A nose gear kit for the lower section and heavier music for the top steering mechanism.

I taxied the harrier around in the street last night to test out the new nose. It worked out well but I noticed they mains give side to side when turning. At higher speed one of the wing tips even scraped the pavement. I can see where your setup with the mains will definitely prevent the mains from bending backward. Have you noticed any side-to-side swaying of the mains?
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:27 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Gurnli Harrier arrived today!

Shipping was quick for Nitroplanes, 9 days. Will try to get going on this tonight.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
It's good to see more of these birds getting in the air. I do like mine! Might have to fab up a 4 point landing gear and give it a try.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
Shipping was quick for Nitroplanes, 9 days. Will try to get going on this tonight.
You beat me!!! Mine is still showing as at Heathrow Airport on the shipping website - Great!