HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:12 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Help!
Where to find a canopy for scratch built Lancaster?

I'm building a scratch built Lancaster Bomber and can't find a canopy. It needs to be about 5.5 to 6 inches long and about 2.25 wide. Or be able to trim to that size. I checked out what Sig has to offer, but they don't have any photos or dimentions besides the length. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or maybe something suitable in the scrap box? It's a stand way off scale build so outline is not too important.
Thanks,
Jay
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
801 Posts
Maybe Parkflyer Plastics will have what you want. http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...525003c2482287
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Thanks for the link. After searching through 83 different canopies, only one came close to being close to the right size. But a Bearcat canopy squished out to make a bomber cockpit glass would have looked pretty strange. I may have to break down and finally make a vacuum forming machine.
Jay
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:02 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,293 Posts
Jay, you don't need to make a machine. Make a mold and send it to Sparky (Kieth Sparks, aka Parkflyerplastics and he will pull a beautiful canopy for you. Pretty cheap too for quality stuff.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Um, just carve one out of balsa? I've never done one, but I understand the theory. Reminds me of my fiberglass mold experiences. All theory, no details
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:35 PM
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep View Post
I'm building a scratch built Lancaster Bomber and can't find a canopy. It needs to be about 5.5 to 6 inches long and about 2.25 wide. Or be able to trim to that size. I checked out what Sig has to offer, but they don't have any photos or dimentions besides the length. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or maybe something suitable in the scrap box? It's a stand way off scale build so outline is not too important.
Thanks,
Jay
H i Jay, PM me

Ray
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
Try some of the uk magazine plan website like rcme or rcmf or traplet plans

Tony nuihuis has designed several lancs from medium to huge and the plastic sts can be bought as seperate items
desmo is online now Find More Posts by desmo
Last edited by desmo; Mar 19, 2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:09 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
If you can scratch build a lancaster you are under estimating your skill and ease to plunge mold a canopy .
1}Buy some about 4 sheets of clear plastic , (you judge the quality }from the local hobby shop or craft store .
2)carve /sand to shape a block of balsa , typically its easier as you know if the grain is running front to back in the direction of the plane -front to back .
3)Take the key measurments , width , length , height , base width and bottom shape that meets the fuse is critical to the success , do once initial carving is done , you need to start sanding to shape , your goal is a nice dome shape , smooth as a babys butt.
4)Now the easy part , much easier then carving out a frame . You now purchase some simple plastc rails that will make up your frame . The plastci you buy must match the desired look you need .Flush frames need flat rails , and raised frames need a thicker rails . You can either make your own platic rails from sheets , or simply buy them , again the entire project so far should be under $10.00 .
5)sand the rails on the glue side , cut to shape and ca them in place on your dome and the canopy should be taking shape .
6) Now turn your mold over , drill and incert a dowl into the bottom aprox 4" in length so you have hold the dome while plunging the mold .
8)Now for practice -take a simple thin sheet of ply , aprox 12"by 12" , dremil out the base shape of your canopy in the center of the ply ,
9)clip a thin sheet of styren sheet to the ply and clamp to any work bench that will allow you to clamp the ply & plastic to the bench with the ability to plunge thru the hole in the middle .
10)Have a simple clock/watch in view that has a second hand -gently heat the plastic all the way around the open hole in the ply , get the plastic soft and test this process with either a goft ball or another hard shape .This will allow you to see how the plastic reacts , and shapes to your object and how far you need to plunge the mold thru the sheet and how thin the sheet will be in this process .
11)While practiceing you can cut away your variuos mistakes and keep useing the same sheet
12)now when your ready , you repeat the process but now with your real plunge mold , sometimes its great to have two hands in this process , so wifey or kids can use the heat gun and you evenly make the plunge .
Its very easy and successful method that wont require a new vacume box assembly or expensive process .
Typically when you go bigger , defined as 60" span ect , i would make a vacume box vs plunge mold
Good luck
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:12 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
Forgot , one more thing , the clock or watch with a second hand is to time when you start to heat the plastic to how long until it gets soft , this way to know a consistant time and your not under heating or over heating the plastic
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:16 AM
littleton, colorado
Joined Jan 2003
307 Posts
Flying Jeep, before you go through all the character building/swearing/aggrevation/tears and marital stress that building a scratchbuilt, 4 engine bomber will bring, you may want to wait for the foamie Lancaster that Twiztidbowler posted a pic of over in the Banana Hobby B-17 thread (page 37). It's in the development stage, but looks very nice. If you really have your heart set on a scratch-built Lanc, more power to you and best of luck on the build.
sgonzo is offline Find More Posts by sgonzo
Last edited by sgonzo; Mar 19, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined May 2002
921 Posts
Hobbyking posted a shot of a EPO lanc to their Facebook account. It was a test shot of the mold apparently, so it sounds like it could be happening...

D.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:02 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,034 Posts
Links boys, links! A foam Lanc? A dream come true.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:47 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined May 2002
921 Posts
http://twitpic.com/4ab161
Hobbykinglive on Facebook

D.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,034 Posts
Hey, I like that. Do we know anything more about it?

Thanks for posting the link. I copied the pic to post here.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,034 Posts
I just started a new thread for the new Lancaster.
RCG Plus Member