HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoe View Post
I have the Evolution and easyglider. Rudder authority on the evolution is a problem also. I needed to get used to the poor rudder... meaning at least a half dozen nail biting landings to teach me.. The Evolution needs it's nose pushed down if you want the rudder at low speeds. I know that may be obvious but after the flying the Easyglider for a few years I was spoiled by being able to toss it around in any direction! That being said, I now fly the Evolution comfortably with the rudder in stock form. I would agree with Viking60 that the easyglider is a great flyer. The easyglider does have amazing (surprising) high wind perfomance.. I have had it in 40mph... really. (with about a 8oz ballast) (easyglider is still together and awesome) I have the Evolution, changed out all the problematic things and like it as part of my fleet..

PS Viking60... Your homebuilt planes are great.. I have my own version of the Flirt built from your specs.. still a favorite.
would adding a small section onto the rudder do any good ? i have yet to fly the evolution as it bloody raining here.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:14 PM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
I would not add anything. If you are ready for it, the steering problems won't be a surprise. I experience loss of rudder when airspeed is low. The adverse yaw from the ailerons overpowers the rudder. Push nose down, ease up on the ailerons.. It took a few times for me to get it but now I don't think about it.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,238 Posts
Don't you want to move a larger surface a small amount for more effective response, and not a small surface a greater amount. Phoenix rudder is pretty small and we all agree requires that bottom hinge. Anyone got some pics of effective mod?
Car packed for a flying road trip, weather doesn't look great either, back in a couple of days!
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,283 Posts
I get very poor rudder response too.. but it works for thermaling and sloping to make a wide flat turn .. its just the design of the plane.

I have also a HawkFighter.. its a mod of the HawkSky "easystar clone" plane.. choping the wings down to 105cm (basically removing the dihedral wingtips) and fitting a way more powerfull motor (so it becames really fast and agile).. when i removed the dihedral tips rudder became totally useless.. to the point that i had to decide whatever to enlarge it to make it some usefull or just remove the rudder servo to save that weight

This is how much i had to enlarge it:

JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
I noticed no adverse-yaw with normal aileron command balanced with rudder. Could it depend on
- range of the rudder (I used the max amount of movement available)
- use of the rudder and not so "radical" use of aileron
- use of aileron differential?

I don't choose a model to turn flat in order to make video so perhaps I'm still not touching the rudder limits...
Perhaps the aileron movement is too wide and so the rudder seems ineffective?
Could it be that my rudder works better because of the hinges and the carbon insert that don't allow the rudder to flex?
I don't know...
But I like the Phoenix and it flies,to my eyes and fingers,better than the EgPro.

Anyway...enjoy your flights!
_Richard is offline Find More Posts by _Richard
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
Curse the R.C. gods above. My Lanyu Phoenix Evolution ended up flying further away than I thought and ended up in a tree branch. Fuselage and motor/esc and servos all seem to be fine but both wings have a big chunk of foam missing and I could not find the missing pieces. I will post pictures later and see what you all recommend.

Only good thing is that I got my pop wing to fly this afternoon for the firts time in a few months. That was fun.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Curse the R.C. gods above. My Lanyu Phoenix Evolution ended up flying further away than I thought and ended up in a tree branch. Fuselage and motor/esc and servos all seem to be fine but both wings have a big chunk of foam missing and I could not find the missing pieces. I will post pictures later and see what you all recommend.

Only good thing is that I got my pop wing to fly this afternoon for the firts time in a few months. That was fun.
have any extra foam laying around ? just cut it to fit and gorilla glue it in
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:52 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
My pics. I know how to fix the ripped off aileron. I just want some suggestions on the wings.

I figured out why I crashed. I had a new battery in it. I usually fly with a 3 cell 2200 mah battery. I used that battery on my pop wing. I had a new 1800 mah battery that I wanted to break in gently. I only wanted to use half of it up. I ended up flying too long and the voltage regulator in my ESC kicked in. I checked the battery with my watt meter and it read 3.7 on each of the cells so the low voltage cut-off must have kicked in.

So I ripped off the LED lights I had it. I will put those on my pop wing. That was my original plan anyway. But I want to fix my number one R.C. flyer. The wings are still very strong and stiff, I just need to fill up those big gashes.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:36 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
My poor glider. Thankfully the motor/prop/esc/servos are all OK. Also all my LED lights seem to be OK.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:48 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
510 Posts
I would just stretch packing tape on those and go flying but if you want better support for the packing tape, grab any type of foam, fill it in and shape it, then packing tape.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
Grau Adler
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
As long as the spars are not damaged, cut to symmetrical shape, epoxy in foam filler block.
Smooth and fill with ultralite spackleling compound. Then cover leading edge with clear packing tape.
EPO does not sand well but packing tape covers a multitude of evils.
Terry Grau is offline Find More Posts by Terry Grau
Last edited by Terry Grau; Dec 01, 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spellink
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:11 AM
Grau Adler
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
Rudder effectiveness

I currently fly the P2000 with 4 different wings, 2 aileron and 2 poly, up to 2750mm span.
I have added double the area to the rudder and found no advantage to the sailplane and removed the extension.
If it will thermal well with a poly wing and rudder/elevator only for control then as a sailplane I think the rudder is adequate.
Probably not effective enough for slope style aerobatics, but that's not the primary purpose of the airframe.
What I need is about 100 watts more motor for the big wings. Motor suggestion appreciated.
Terry Grau is offline Find More Posts by Terry Grau
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
My pics. I know how to fix the ripped off aileron. I just want some suggestions on the wings.

I figured out why I crashed. I had a new battery in it. I usually fly with a 3 cell 2200 mah battery. I used that battery on my pop wing. I had a new 1800 mah battery that I wanted to break in gently. I only wanted to use half of it up. I ended up flying too long and the voltage regulator in my ESC kicked in. I checked the battery with my watt meter and it read 3.7 on each of the cells so the low voltage cut-off must have kicked in.

So I ripped off the LED lights I had it. I will put those on my pop wing. That was my original plan anyway. But I want to fix my number one R.C. flyer. The wings are still very strong and stiff, I just need to fill up those big gashes.
wow ! it for sure needs some foam in those holes,for strength .if you have none run to wal mart and get some foam, and some LIGHT Spackle, i have done two totaled out nose,s and when there dry and sanded look very nice,gorilla glue then sand,then Spackle and sand .
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Using a turnigy9x tx and a Grasyon Hobby 40amp esc i i cannot get the brake set on this plane, it says throttle stick up, tx on plug in rx,when you hear three quick beeps,throttle down. phhht any body get it set ? hate to buy a program card for every esc ! Guess i need to stick with turnigy as my dynam card will program them.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:05 PM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
First cut holes out square.. it makes filling them with a nice square piece of foam easy.. gorilla glue and tape... good as new. (my 2 cents worth)..
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe