Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
welcome to the wife doesn't care support forum
Lol!! +1! I have to get my RC fix here.. I can't do it at work nor at the house. Thanks guys for supporting my habit!

Brian
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:28 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
Lol!! +1! I have to get my RC fix here.. I can't do it at work nor at the house. Thanks guys for supporting my habit!

Brian
no no... YOU'RE supporting your habit, we're just helping out with the tears
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
no no... YOU'RE supporting your habit, we're just helping out with the tears
Correct... I do fund it, so does that make you guys enablers? Hehe. Jk! It's all fun n games. Thanks for all the support gents. This thread has done so much for me and my equipment!

Brian
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Amazing,

and yes, it does cut throttle.

Did you have a GoPro on board?

I'd like to see that video in its' entirety if it exists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo24 View Post
huge thanks to m_beeson and mykros.

I feel like i just won the powerball!

went flying today. sunny 10-15 wind. cold. EE working and prior RTH with guardian setup with carlyle trigger working well. flying around in new area. video going in and out, triggered RTH but for some reason didnt seem to want to come back this time on the OSD radar. I have my guardian on VrE on futaba 10c and usually move it back and forth to adjust gain during manual flying. it was set to 0 gain. (but it shouldn't matter, right? bc RTH uses the overall gain setting no?)

so video goes out, RTH is supposed to be triggered as I've done before. EE tracking and beeping. 6min go by. no plane. EE stops tracking. 10min go by. I think i'm hosed. I start thinking i might as well pack up and go. I turn transmitter off. 2 more min go by and i'm packing up my stuff and suddenly theEE starts beeping for diversity and tracking starts moving. I check my goggles...IT'S COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A feeling of relief and triumph like this doesn't happen every day. Big Big Big thanks to forum contributors. I'm sending good Karma your way!

I think the RTH took so long because it was flying into a headwind.

Ques: does the RTH with OSD pro and guardian decrease altitude by cutting throttle? because during the servo wizard it asks for throttle during descent, no? or does it do so by actually adjusting the elevator?

sorry for the long post but i had to share and my wife doesn't care.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Nice story jimbo24, and great closing line

This brings up a subject that I have been thinking about....

From the OSD manual:
"Minimum Ground Spd(0 disable): If the plane's ground speed (as reported by the GPS) is below this speed, and you are at or below the specified
cruise altitude window, the "climb" throttle setting will be used."

This was implemented in an attempt to make RTH operate at higher wind speeds. However, shouldn't there be a further improvement by using "cruise" throttle setting when the plane is above cruise altitude and its speed is lower than minimum ground speed, and manipulate the elevator to control (reduce) altitude? Bacause, if throttle is cut when above crouse altitude, then at high altitude and in a strong headwind the RTH is not effective, since it may read negative GPS speed (thinks its travelling the wrong way) and make a turn when it is not needed. With an airframe that floats well, and if RTH is triggered at high altitude (and a strong thrermal in the worst case scenario) it could take a long time for the plane to fall to cruise altitude even with motor off. In the meantime it could have travelled a significant distance further away from home...

Comments please?

Reards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
sfakias,

thats' what i'm thinking happened. in a headwind it wanted to climb some, and since the OSD pro wants to descend (alt set to 250 ft) it cuts off throttle to do that, thus the only time it throttles up is when it is climbing thus it can take forever to get back.

unfortunately I did not have a go pro on board, as i can't find a good way of mounting it in addition to the flight camera i'm looking through.

I'm going to download the elogger info tonight and find out exactly where it went!
jimbo24 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo24
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
GPS Problem

Need some help again. My gps is not locking in to sat's OSD screen keeps saying waiting for GPS. Checked connection and it is ok. Flew last week had no problem had 9-11 sat's locked. Started to fly yesterday no lock to sat's. Must have waited 30 minutes, carried it all over the field. Tried again this morning same thing,osd screen says waiting for gps. Plugged and unplugged power several times. Tried Reset home few times nothing works.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:37 PM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
miknce

when i first got my plane, probably one of the last ones made by Tim at readymaderc, i could never get the GPS to lock. it was all over the place. hence, my EE never tracked right ( or at least that was one of the problems) At the time, Tim said that I should get a ferrite ring for the GPS as it could be 900mHz interferrence.

I got busy and never got to it until last month. I bought the new ferrite equipped GPS from eagle tree and since then my gps has been locked on solid...and hence my EE works now.

just a thought.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Need some help again. My gps is not locking in to sat's OSD screen keeps saying waiting for GPS. Checked connection and it is ok. Flew last week had no problem had 9-11 sat's locked. Started to fly yesterday no lock to sat's. Must have waited 30 minutes, carried it all over the field. Tried again this morning same thing,osd screen says waiting for gps. Plugged and unplugged power several times. Tried Reset home few times nothing works.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Michael
Hi Michael,
for that your system was working well for some time, i suspect a hardware defect.
i had the same with my equipment last year and wasn´t able to figure out which part (osd, logger, gps) caused the problems. so i opened a service ticket and send all 3 units to et. they detected a faulty gps and changed it to a new one
i highly recommend to open a support ticket an send the parts for a check.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
I can't wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo24 View Post
sfakias,

thats' what i'm thinking happened. in a headwind it wanted to climb some, and since the OSD pro wants to descend (alt set to 250 ft) it cuts off throttle to do that, thus the only time it throttles up is when it is climbing thus it can take forever to get back.

unfortunately I did not have a go pro on board, as i can't find a good way of mounting it in addition to the flight camera i'm looking through.

I'm going to download the elogger info tonight and find out exactly where it went!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I had opened a ticket with ET earlier today. They had advised of some things to check one of which was not locating gps next to video transmitter, which i had not done. But that got me to thinking about the only change i had made since last flight was install a ferite ring on camera wires coming from camera to osd. I had thought that might improve video transmission. Ring ended up being in fusalage right under where gps is mounted on top. I removed ring carried plane outside and gps locked onto 9 satalites in a few seconds. Never dreamed that would have made a difference in gps signal.
Working again know.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Well i spoke to soon. Went out to do fpv right after posting the above post. Set my ground station up (Was going to try a new screen) and waited 20 minutes or so and no GPS. So I found out my ferite ring was not the problem. Back to drawing board Will get back in touch with eagle tree and probably send it back for them to check. So i am grounded for a while. Don't much like the idea of flying without gps.
Best
Michael
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Michael,

I suspect that the guardian and the gps, and other sensors are creating a large draw on the osd & elogger 5V power.

I cannot get gps lock unless I plug in the back-up battery that I have encoporated since I installed the seagull.

I found that the backup battery is just too much weight combined with some other things that I have done to my airframe, so I need to lighten it up a bit.

I am going to just use the y-harness as a secondary power supply to the elogger.

You may want to try it and see if it resolves your issues. I'm betting that it will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Well i spoke to soon. Went out to do fpv right after posting the above post. Set my ground station up (Was going to try a new screen) and waited 20 minutes or so and no GPS. So I found out my ferite ring was not the problem. Back to drawing board Will get back in touch with eagle tree and probably send it back for them to check. So i am grounded for a while. Don't much like the idea of flying without gps.
Best
Michael
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
ok. here is the .kml file for google earth for the miracle RTH that i described in the previous page.

i had to zip it in order to get it to upload? weird.

so you can see i started out in the soccer field. 10-15mph SW wind. i circled around a couple of times in the field while i put on my goggles then headed west. there i started to drop some video so i enabled RTH. It seems that it wasn't working very well so i circled as you can see, then totally got disoriented, lost video, and then re-engaged RTH.

at that point, you can see it drifting northward, then northeastward, then at the furthest northeast corner of the flight path, somehow it started making progress toward "home" not sure why.

I did in fact consider that it wasn't able to beat the wind so knowing that my TSLRS had a huge range, i disabled RTH blindly and simply went 100% on throttle while dialing in full gain (dial VrE) on my guardian praying that was oriented towards me. I'm assuming that that is how it made progress back to me finally. Note, i didn't do that long, as i finally gave up and thought that it was never coming home and turned off the radio. a few minutes later it finally appeared from the northeast totally unexpected. Wow. so sweet.

I reviewed the old posts. specifically post 9211 where someone else described a similar problem with RTH in a head wind. Are there any solutions? My plane has a tendancy to climb easily thus never going low enough to the set altitude to trigger throttle i'm thinking. At first i though that setting a min speed for RtH would work, but posters said that this only works if below the min altitude. if you are above it, throttle will cut out regardless.

has anyone found workable solutions?

thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
reviewing the fdr file, it seems that what happened to finally make it come back was probably turning off the radio. Otherwise, what would have changed? cant understand, because when i throw the switch that i have programed to thro-thro mix for carlyle style failsafe trigger, the RTH engaged comes on everytime. I can't figure out how that would be any different than just turning off the Futaba radio entirely. But i'm more and more sure that is what finally made it come back. It correlate temporally too with my turning off the radio.