HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
Rookie plane pilot
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
328 Posts
Hey these sweet 1500 mAh 35 - 70C NanoTech batts are back in stock- but in the new EAST USA warehouse.

Turnigy nano-tech 1500mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack (AR Warehouse)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=59280

I just got two more, which makes 4 of these 1500 35-70C and 5 of the 1300 mAh 45-90C ones for feeding my Radian. Both work great. just a heads up.

oh and if you want:
BuddyPrice Code
Want to get a refund of $0.96 for this product?
Send the code below to any of your friends, and if they use the code when adding the item to their cart they will pay only $13.53 plus you will get a refund of $0.96!
Code:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=E178B3BB-D178-470F-8C49-E16B2FA2288F
BWX_ is offline Find More Posts by BWX_
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
@BWX_ great tip on the batteries.

I haven't posted in a long while in our thread and after 4 years of flying the Rad'ster, it was time for a slight upgrade.

- Updated elevator to 6-7mm decalage.

- Added a rear tail plywood support.

- Swapped out the AR500 Rx for my Graupner GR-16 with telemetry and vario. Schweet, now I can use my Graupner MX-16! I might remount to the underside to keep it away from the ESC, but for now it fit best there. Operating temp range of the Rx is -15 to +70C (5 degF - 158F) and I can listen to Rx temp on my telemetry.

- Installed a Cularis spinner with 5mm collet shaft, Graupner 11x8 prop with 6mm shoulder. I had to open up the Graupner 11x8 prop holes to fit the new bolts and fit washers to shim to the Cularis hub.
Used a trick with my RC Hydroplanes for shimming the 4mm motor shaft with brass and used CA to glue. Rough up both surfaces with a file and sand paper first. I'll try some light motor tests this afternoon, hopefully the heat won't affect, but in bench test last night seems fine. The Cularis spinner just looks more like a proper sailplane nose shape.

- Added more weight to the tail, set CoG at a tick shy of ~3". Glide and testing tonight.

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_ View Post
Hey these sweet 1500 mAh 35 - 70C NanoTech batts are back in stock- but in the new EAST USA warehouse.

Turnigy nano-tech 1500mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack (AR Warehouse)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=59280

I just got two more, which makes 4 of these 1500 35-70C and 5 of the 1300 mAh 45-90C ones for feeding my Radian. Both work great. just a heads up.

oh and if you want:
BuddyPrice Code
Want to get a refund of $0.96 for this product?
Send the code below to any of your friends, and if they use the code when adding the item to their cart they will pay only $13.53 plus you will get a refund of $0.96!
Code:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=E178B3BB-D178-470F-8C49-E16B2FA2288F
Says it has an XT60 connector. I presume you have to solder on a new connector to fit the EC3 plug on the radian ESC.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Port Elizabeth. South Africa
Joined Aug 2010
187 Posts
Wow. That cockpit is awesome
WaynejG is online now Find More Posts by WaynejG
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynejG View Post
Wow. That cockpit is awesome
Thanks for the kudos! Yeah, the scale cockpit and pilot was a fun bit of kit to make. I think I did this a few years back, totally transforms the look.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Says it has an XT60 connector. I presume you have to solder on a new connector to fit the EC3 plug on the radian ESC.
Correct, you need to cut off XT60 and resolder with EC3 plugs.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2010
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
@BWX_ great tip on the batteries.

I haven't posted in a long while in our thread and after 4 years of flying the Rad'ster, it was time for a slight upgrade.

- Updated elevator to 6-7mm decalage.

- Added a rear tail plywood support.

- Swapped out the AR500 Rx for my Graupner GR-16 with telemetry and vario. Schweet, now I can use my Graupner MX-16! I might remount to the underside to keep it away from the ESC, but for now it fit best there. Operating temp range of the Rx is -15 to +70C (5 degF - 158F) and I can listen to Rx temp on my telemetry.

- Installed a Cularis spinner with 5mm collet shaft, Graupner 11x8 prop with 6mm shoulder. I had to open up the Graupner 11x8 prop holes to fit the new bolts and fit washers to shim to the Cularis hub.
Used a trick with my RC Hydroplanes for shimming the 4mm motor shaft with brass and used CA to glue. Rough up both surfaces with a file and sand paper first. I'll try some light motor tests this afternoon, hopefully the heat won't affect, but in bench test last night seems fine. The Cularis spinner just looks more like a proper sailplane nose shape.

- Added more weight to the tail, set CoG at a tick shy of ~3". Glide and testing tonight.

Cheers, Thompson
Very Nice! BTW Multiplex also has the same spinner available in a 4mm shaft size. Just order the Easy Glider Pro version.
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Very Nice! BTW Multiplex also has the same spinner available in a 4mm shaft size. Just order the Easy Glider Pro version.
Thanks, yeah, know that the 4mm is available. I've had this Cularis 5mm for a year or so and found out shortly after ordering I needed the 4mm Easy Glider versionů I had thought of ordering a Cularis sailplane to go with my then new 5mm spinner back then, but never got around to it. Found its way on the Rad'ster with a little help of some brass last night.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
660 Posts
StudioRS:
Be careful the 11X8 prop has got to be close to the max for the motor and/or the ESC which is 30 amps. I suggest to put a meter on to see what you are pulling, and have a battery that handle it. More amps = less run time.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Yesterday at 05:21 PM. Reason: wrong user
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Gary. Yup, ran through two of my stock PZ 15C 1300s and you could tell the difference right off. These are not matched to the amp draw and will be suspect soon if I use them any more, no doubt. I'll have to get a meter and check. For now Graupner telemetry said max Rx temp was running at 52C (125.6˚ F) and the Rx isn't touching the ESC, but mounted right over it. Batteries weren't abnormally hot either. I guess this is about normal. This was after repeated one to two minute runs on full throttle. Might need to buy some of the 45-90C Nano-techs listed above and a higher rated ESC. Also might need to vent the Rad'ster cockpit some.

These mild changes really make a noticeable difference, especially the rear elevator 6-7mm change. Power up control is greatly enhanced. LOVE the new Graupner prop and Cularis spinner. Never noticed an issue with my brass sleeve over the 4mm motor shaft, will inspect in detail. Wind was non-existent this evening so all was butter smooth too. I was practicing low elevation wide gliding style figure 8s over the field. Just wish these foam sailplanes had more inertia.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2014
4 Posts
Odd question about packaging

I have a UMX Radian. I love her. So much so that I decided to get a standard Radian.

The big one arrives in the mail tomorrow night. The following morning I am packing as much stuff as I can and heading on vacation. I would LOVE to bring both the UMX and her big sister.

So, for those who still have their original Radian boxes, and perhaps even have a UMX to check with: is there room in the big Radian box to safely and securely add the UMX? I assume there's room for the UMX wing, nestled in with the Radian wing halves (maybe?). What about the fuselage & tail assembly? Any good place to put that? I'll gladly cut up some foam to make this work.

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide! Being able to bring both of these on this trip would really be fantastic.
malapardis is online now Find More Posts by malapardis
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Stick with the UMX Radian for vacation duty. Super easy to charge the battery, super easy to tote around, even a small solar charger would work and it fits in the trunk of a rent-a-car.

I just returned from visiting family in SoCal and bought a Ka-8 2.25m sailplane and a UMX Radian at a LHS while there. Visions of slope soaring at Torrey Pines were quickly dashed when the requirements and level of flying capacity was way over my head, too much air traffic anyway. While the puppy Radian fit in the trunk and the Ka-8 wouldn'tů Hmm on the girls lap it had to be and it only fit in the back seat. The Ka-8 box is even shorter than a Radian box! I don't think you'd want to mix the little uRadian in the big bro's box, too fragile.

Give yourself plenty of time to learn the full size Radian, it takes up a lot of ground to land and creates it own ground effects. You need a lot more space than you think, just floats forever.

Long story short version, I ended up slope soaring the daylights out of the UMX Radian within a 2 min walk from my families house and couldn't have been happier.
Old Today, 12:58 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
483 Posts
i am selling a 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 960Kv. This one motor has two flights on it. no crash or bad landing. almost new condition. please pm me if interest. this is link for the motor. happy flying

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2221564
bigtruck169 is online now Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member