HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:06 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Whoops!
Destiny Sloper

Hi,

I just got the Destiny glass ship today and would like to start assembly soon. Before I start, would like to hear what has worked as far as setup and components. I'm going to use a FMA M5 receiver and a 1000mah AA pack I've made. The rest is still in the air.....

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

Tony
EcoTony is offline Find More Posts by EcoTony
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:15 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,405 Posts
I doubt that the AA pack will fit, but you can try.
My brothers plane(I put together) used a 600MaH pack with 3 cells upright, and one laying down, as shown on the plans...
2 81's work the tail, and 2 125's for the ailerons.
I'd try to use either 1 or 2 85's for the tail if I had it to do again; and I'd lean towards only one servo for the tail. Hopefully that would leave room for a small diameter ballast tube accessable though the canopy.
Also, we had to shim the LE of the v-tails a little(1/32")to get good performance, and have the CG a bit further back than the plans show.
It's a fun little plane, but doesn't do well in marginal lift, and can be tip-stalled if you spend too much time "leaning" back on the elevator stick, trying to milk it in light lift.
Lotsa fun in better lift though!

Good luck, Target

PS. It's nice to have spoileron option for landing. Don't try flapperon!!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Jun 28, 2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:44 PM
average user
Joined Jun 2004
384 Posts
post a picture
mr.zagi5c is offline Find More Posts by mr.zagi5c
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:56 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,405 Posts
Post a picture, Who?

Target
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:25 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Any pictures of this ship would be helpful. The "Plans" are not very helpful for assembly. Just gives a bunch of measurements and an idea of placement of electronics, but nothing clear all that.

CG too far forward is a problem as per plans? Could I put receiver in front, battery, then servos? Would move CG back, and give extra room for bigger pack.

I"ve already got 2 Dymond D60's from an old R/E glider I don't use, I guess they will be for the v-tail surfaces.... I'm thinking about either the HS-85's or Dymond D200's... but I can be convinced otherwise.

Seemed like the AA 1000's would fit, but if CG is an issue, I'll have to rethink...
Did you guys use the wooden tray provided, or just skip? Again, pictures of your bro's layout would be VERY helpful.

ANY pictures would be helpful.

Thanks!

Tony
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:29 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,405 Posts
Tony-
Send me a Pm reminder, with your email addy,on either Thurs/Fri this week, and I'll get some pics to you...
I dont ever recommend putting the battery behind the RX; you may as well toss it in the trash if you ever have a hard landing or a soft crash....

Target
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:28 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Target:

Thanks !

You are obviously correct about the receiver in front of batteries... crunch

Wasn't thinking clearly....

Maybe post here so others can see what your bro's looks like. Or I'll take it in email if you prefer.

I always have this love/hate thing with a new European kit... They never have enough information about building (or in this case NO information). Does Sal from NE Sail give any directions or just the one page plan? My Enigma was built from Sal's generic DLG directions. But it took lots of E Zone/RC Groups help to make it make sense (and a better build).

Tony
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:41 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,784 Posts
Hey Tony, I just finished up on the Micro Floh witch is basically the same aircraft but in a smaller version. I will post pictures when I return home. And u are correct not a lot to go on as far as instructions. I went with one 85 Mg in the fuse and a pair of 125mgs in the wings. The instructions did call for feather servos I was not to thrilled by that. I did use the servo tray though. The Vtail was a pain to get the linkage correct so I chopped of the butt end of the fuse so I could work with it better.

Louie
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:48 PM
silent flight
South Wales UK
Joined May 2002
1,577 Posts
Hi Tony

I have a Micro Floh XL which is what the Destiny is called in the UK. It's a fantastic little glider. I didn't have any problems with V-tail incidence, just screwed it directly to the fuse with a small amount of epoxy to hold securly, no shimming required.

I used 2 x HS85MG in the fuse and 2 x HS125MG in the wing, I fitted a 750mAh AAA pack in the nose and a marble sized piece of lead was all that was required to achieve correct C of G.

We clocked it with a radar gun on sunday, several passes in the high 80s and got one 96mph and another at 98mph, conditions weren't ideal the glider was unballasted, just its stock AUW, which isnt much.

I started a thread some time ago here , the video of the maiden flight and second flight of my Floh XL is linked on there also.

Good luck with the Destiny

Mike_Y
Mike_Y is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Y
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:37 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Mike,

That video is making me so excited! Amazing flying site you have there... Beautiful.

I've got Torrey Pines only 15 miles North of my house, so I can hope to have flights like that -- once I build it and learn how to properly fly!

Looks like I'm going to go cheap and get the Dymond D60's b/c they are a bit lighter and a lot cheaper than the HS125's and they are only a bit thicker... (Dymond is now here in San Diego, so no shipping cost and no wait).

Louie:
I look forward to seeing your pictures! Why only one servo for tail? How does that work? What does it do to flying qualities -vs- 2 servo V tail?

Should I hold off on epoxy for V-tail until I fly her a few times to see if tail incience is okay?

Thanks guys!

Keep up the information.

Tony
Last edited by EcoTony; Jun 30, 2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:33 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,405 Posts
The tail on my brothers is just bolted on; it's never been any trouble yet. The reason I was going to send the pics on email, was because of the lower file size limit here on the Liftzone; but I'll kill a little resolution, and post 'em here, you can get'em email for more detail if needed. My bro got his Destiny from Dymond at the Pasadena R/C show a couple years ago, and they only came with the one page 3 view plan sheet.

Target
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:53 AM
silent flight
South Wales UK
Joined May 2002
1,577 Posts
Tony

Your right, dont glue the v-tail straight off, fly it first. I had to glue mine as after every landing it would come off.

Only one servo in the fuselage will result in no rudder, IMO the extra weight of another servo is well worth it for the rudder

Mike_Y
Mike_Y is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Y
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:05 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,405 Posts
Tony,
Pics coming tomorrow-
AUW=26.5 oz,
CG=63mm aft of LE.
Battery, servos(in plywood custom tray), reciever(Super-Slim), NO SWITCH
End of fuse cut off.
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Target
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:06 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
So last night I "mocked" up the plane and noticed a few things.

First, the kit is missing the 2 ball joint cup-end that attaches to the control rod end for the ruddervader (I'm going 2 servos for tail). I'll stop by Dymond and get those from Helmut today.... I need to get 2 servo extension wires for the ailerons -- I'm guessing 18" would be long enough, but I'll get 24" just to be sure. I'm going to soder the connections anyway.

Second, the plane fits together very well. There are no obvious gaps in the saddle and the V-tail lines up nicely. I didn't measure if the wings were set 100% straight, but eye-balling says it's good.

I started working on the tray this morning and drilled 2 lightening holes. The smaller one is just a bit bigger than the servo lead-ends, the larger is twice as large, but leaves lots of structure to the tray. The servo leads look long enough to attach to the Rx without any problems. I did narrow and round the tray edge so it seats better in the round fuse. I also drilled 2 slots for the control linages to pass through with added support to avoid any slop.

Finally, I also re-fitted the servo bay with 2 laminated sticks ... one layer of coffee stir-stick sandwiched between 2 layers of super thin birch plywood. The servos now "just fit" sitting parallel length wise per plan.

I'll begin posting what I've done when I get a chance to take some photos.

I look forward to anyone who has the Destiny or Micro-Flow XL pictures to post them here!

Tony
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,405 Posts
I'll post the pics soon.