HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2014, 05:43 PM
Oy Vey...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Dec 2012
682 Posts
Build Log
★☆★ Blackout Mini H Build ★☆★

In typical fashion, I purchased yet ANOTHER quad. My wallet is filling with receipts which are just little tomb stones of the money I once had. Many of you know what the BOM is and so I'll let my words be few. If you don't, close this thread and educate yourself.

This thread is a little late to the scene since I've already assembled majority of the quad and installed some components. I am however a slow and meticulous builder so its gonna take a while to finish it anyways, stay tuned.

Special thanks to CC3DPilot for all his priceless help and guidance when it comes to tuning the OpenPilot hardware and for opening my eyes to the OpenPilot family. I fly solely OP now. I am the proud father or the CC, CC3D and two Revo's.

It all started with this..

And progressed from there...

Got a little happy with a paint marker. White edges on the arms and red on the PDB...

On the bottom, you'll find an FrSky Minima receiver. This particular unit is compatible with my Hitec Aurora 9 radio and as a bonus, it supports PPM. Opposite of the Rx, you'll find an Bluetooth module powered by Crius. This module will eventually be used to program and tune the OP controller without the use of a USB cable. Nifty huh!?

The CC3D flight controller has thus been replaced in favor of the Revo. Along with a few accessories to make things tie together...

The quad will of course be powered by SunnySky motors and Lumenier 12a esc's. This is currently where I left off. One of the four esc's was a dud and I am currently sourcing a few replacements...

M3Roc is offline Find More Posts by M3Roc
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2014, 11:27 PM
Team WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
Got a little happy with a paint marker. White edges on the arms and red on the PDB...

LOL, M3Roc. You are an incredibly prolific project-starter! Enjoyed your DJI F450 thread and the TBS Disco thread.

Love the looks of the white edges on the arms and red edges on the PDB! They add a unique character to your frame. And the painted edges look much cleaner than exposed CF layers. I was relieved to read you used a simple paint marker, and not some fancy masking and/or painting technique. I will definitely have to give that trick a go!

PS: What brand paint marker and what tip size/shape did you use? Any particular prepping of the CF edge before painting?
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Last edited by Brainstorm; May 25, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2013
78 Posts
Where did u get the red standoffs and the different color screws?
Fbrand619 is offline Find More Posts by Fbrand619
Old May 26, 2014, 01:38 AM
Oy Vey...
Joined Dec 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbrand619 View Post
The red standoffs are from the TBS Discovery and the red screws I found on google. They are M3x10mm anodized red.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2014
37 Posts
So you said you switched to a different flight controller but your images appear to be CC3D, no?
Yogibara is offline Find More Posts by Yogibara
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2014
355 Posts
its a revo in the pics not cc3d
fpvpilots is offline Find More Posts by fpvpilots
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My FPV Blog
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:41 AM
Oy Vey...
Joined Dec 2012
682 Posts
It's currently got a Revo in it but not permanently. I have a CC3D to take it place.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:40 PM
Team WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm View Post
PS: What brand paint marker and what tip size/shape did you use? Any particular prepping of the CF edge before painting?
M3Roc: Since you are back in here, let me ask again. What type and brand of paint marker did you use to paint the edges of the arms and PDB? Oil-based? Acrylic? Any particular size tip?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:42 PM
Brunei
Joined May 2014
188 Posts
I see you directly solder your motor to you esc? How do you change their rotation [cw or ccw]?
PokkaGold is online now Find More Posts by PokkaGold
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:02 PM
Oy Vey...
Joined Dec 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm View Post
M3Roc: Since you are back in here, let me ask again. What type and brand of paint marker did you use to paint the edges of the arms and PDB? Oil-based? Acrylic? Any particular size tip?
It's a paint marker I got from walmart in their craft section. It's called "painters" and made by Elmer's. Can't really telly ou much more then that.

It was mostly trial and error to paint te edge's but ill share how I got the best results. First you've gotta clean the CF edges. All the CF pieces are covered in dust from the cutting and are dirty. I used 91% rubbing alcohol, don't use 70%, its got lotion/oil in it for skin use. The paint markers have a felt tip and you'll want to find the ones that are med or broad tip. After cleaning the edge's and letting the alcohol evaporate, you can paint. I started by pressing the paint marker on the edge of the CF arm and letting some of the paint come out of the market as a drop. If there is a lot of paint on the edge, just let gravity do the work and let it run down the edge on its own. Once it gets to the point where it wont run anymore, use the markers tip to drag it down until there is no more paint left to spread and repeat the process by applying another drop of paint. You may get better results by making the first layer very thin and quick. Then let it dry for about 15 mins. If you get paint off the edge onto the surface of the CF part, don't wipe it off, it makes a mess. Instead leave it and let it dry. Its very easy to scrape the paint off the shiny surface with your finger nail when its dry. Once the first coat dries up to the touch, you can do the second coat. I wouldn't do more then two though. The second coat, you'll want to be nice and rich. Start on a corner edge and press the marker until you get a nice big drop to run down the edge. Keep the paint flowing, it'll start to dry on the surface within seconds of applying so if you want a smooth edge, keep it flowing and don't go back to correct anything. Be careful not to load up too much paint when you're getting to the finish, you want to spread the paint on the edge without creating a bubble from access paint. Then you just let the parts dry for at least 24hrs. The edge's will get harder and harder with time until they feel like hard acrylic. Also, when the paint dries, it will shrink a little and get smoother so any small imperfections wont be visible.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by M3Roc; Jun 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:22 PM
Team WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
It's a paint marker I got from walmart in their craft section. It's called "painters" and made by Elmer's. Can't really telly ou much more then that.
Thanks, M3Roc! This is very helpful. I actually have one of these Elmer's Painters markers, in white to mark black luggage and toolboxes. They contain acrylic paint. There are also oil-based paint markers and some have tried automotive body paint. Carbon fibre is notoriously difficult to color/paint, so I wanted to start with something that worked for somebody already.

Thanks again, and good luck with your ongoing build/art project!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:23 PM
Oy Vey...
Joined Dec 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokkaGold View Post
I see you directly solder your motor to you esc? How do you change their rotation [cw or ccw]?
You switch any two wires to reverse the direction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:51 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbrand619 View Post
The last time I purchased a few sets of red aluminum standoffs, I ended up getting more than I needed so if you are still looking for some I have 40mm red aluminum with 3mm threads. Very light and look great for builds. I purchased some from RMRC and Xhover.

Edit..which appears both are out ..
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:06 AM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Do you still have the extra red standoffs? If so I'd be interested my mini h is on the way
Justin
sonic77 is offline Find More Posts by sonic77
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:42 AM
Oy Vey...
Joined Dec 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic77 View Post
Do you still have the extra red standoffs? If so I'd be interested my mini h is on the way
Justin
I actually pulled the red stand offs from my TBS Discovery. You can purchase extras online for the TBS. They are slightly longer then the stock ones but they work well.
RCG Plus Member