HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Tony,
I used an Eflight 180. I did the Quick nice airplane! No foam Here is what my 1919 will look like, still have graphics that I am waiting on! Also have to install servos and ESC.
Joe
Looks nice Joe. Not sure if you know but Heads Up RC has 2 great 180 motors for $10.95. One is 2800kv and is great with props like 4.5X4 or 5X4 - good thrust and lots of speed. The other I think is 2000KV and works better with 6 - 7 inch props. I been using them for years with no problems. I've used the eflite 180's and their OK but at $30 not so great.

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Well since others are posting their Stevens Aero Builds here's a crappy pic of my Stevens fleet. Maybe one of us should start a general Stevens aero build thread.

Tony
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,691 Posts
Hi Tony,
Man you have a fleet!! Looks like you are having lots of fun!!
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:35 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
looks great. Indoor season is coming i need to get started on mine !
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:32 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Tony,
Man you have a fleet!! Looks like you are having lots of fun!!
Hey Joe

I think its a sickness. I love building planes and I have way too many of them.

With that said I flew my Micromax a little while ago and I have a video. I doubt it, maybe I built it wrong, but it is the worst flying plane I have ever flown. It was slightly breezy, wind is a fact of life here in Rhode Island and I usually know what planes to fly in the current wind conditions and which ones not to fly. I kept it up for about 5 minutes and the whole time this plane was just doing whatever it wanted. Hands off the sticks, there was just no way to determine what, if any, trim was needed. All it did was rock this way and that way, suddenly change direction on its own, suddenly go nose up or down and most of the time not respond to corrective action or if it did respond it was a sluggish response. It was a hand full.

In no way shape or form am I saying this to criticise Stevens Aero. I have some truly great flying planes from them but those are the ones I went brushless with. Others that I built with the PZ electronics left a lot to be desired. I hope Bill chimes in here. If you look up the specs on the PZ brushed motor equipped planes (Champ, Pole Cat, Trojan Etc) you will see that none of them weigh more than about 1.25 oz. Horizon hobby knows that is about the limit for that power setup. Most of the Stevens Aero planes for the PZ electronics weigh significantly more than that. I have thrown together many foam planes using the PZ electronics and most that weighed over 1.25 oz were failures.

There seems to be some obsession with the Stevens aero micro planes about having some washout in the wings and being under - cambered with the bottom of the wing uncovered. I think there are issues with that concept on a micro plane which most micro planes could care less about an airfoil or washout. Even so, you could properly build the wing with the "required washout" but once you cover it and shrink the covering the washout is gone because the wings don't have enough strength.

I posted the video of the Micromax on Youtube as a private video. If anyone wants to see it send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

Tony
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:57 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everynameistaken View Post
Well since others are posting their Stevens Aero Builds here's a crappy pic of my Stevens fleet. Maybe one of us should start a general Stevens aero build thread.Tony

On the vain of this....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=spou
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
Tony,

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of this plane and the Stevens micros in general. I now have four of them (the last four club planes, although the Heath was an extra). In general, I've found them to be stable, predictable flyers, except the Heath, and there the issue is my build. Here's how I would review the flight characteristics of each:
  • Heath LNB-4: I never got the balance right on the Heath, it doesn't have much room for a battery, and there isn't much of an option on battery placement. As a result ,the Heath is tail heavy for me, and a squirrelly flier. It requires constant attention and has a good degree of down elevator trim. Power is not an issue with the plane, though, and it will loop from level flight and climbs great.
  • Say's Nuh 140: Probably the best overall flyer. Stable, but maneuvers where you want it to and also overpowered like the Heath. Give it throttle and yank the stick and you have a loop, no issue.
  • Se 5a: Very stable and scale-like, as I said above. Love doing 'strafing passes' with this. The second wing adds weight and it does require a run-up to loop.
  • MicroMax: Finally got in my maiden. I found it to be overly stable if anything. While it has plenty of power, it doesn't respond to more power - I wasn't able to loop it in my one flight ,and when I added more power it just climbed a bit more. It is extremely draggy and it shows. It will slow down into the wind, practically to a stop if it's windy enough. Almost a remote-controlled kite.

I have flown all of mine in wind that practically made the model hover and didn't have stability issues due to that. They are designed for indoors or light wind though, so if it did have a problem, I would consider myself forewarned by Stevens Aero.

Across the board, not one of mine came out with good balance. I added nose weight to all. Unfortunately, the Heath doesn't have a good way to add weight far forward. I've flown all but the MicroMax a little tail heavy, and they do have issues with that. The way you describe your flight, I would suspect that first.

Regarding under-camber and washout, I agree somewhat. The washout on all of these is fairly strong and produces a very stable model. I haven't been able to roll a single one of them over, and I've tried. When they are unequal, I use a tea kettle to steam the wing and equalize.

Not sure how a flat-bottomed airfoil, would impact flight, but I've considered trying it out myself. It would just be a matter of throwing covering over the bottom.
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Feb 05, 2014, 12:23 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,275 Posts
Have a few of the Stevens Micros and just finished the Micro Max. For the record mine is standard brushed on a 160 cell but still had to add some weight up front. Flies perfectly as is, power enough to take off from grass and plenty of power to climb. Very stable in all flight regimes. If this one doesn't fly well for you then revisit your build techniques.
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Feb 05, 2014, 07:33 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,798 Posts
I've never seen a SA model in person so this is purely speculation. It looks to me like they have a bit too much undercamber. I like a sheet wing with undercamber for indoors but I find that too much of it makes the model more tricky to trim so it flies well at different throttle settings. Too much drag. Only very little undercamber is needed to slow the model down. As a rule of thumb I use 5% undercamber at 1/3 chord from the LE. So on a wing with a 100mm chord, the highpoint on the profile is 5mm above the LE and 33mm from the LE. I also tend to flatten the wing a bit towards the tips, easy to do on Depron sheet wing. This adds a bit of washout.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:34 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,313 Posts
Interesting observation. Of the three SA kits I have built only the max has a rib at the end of the wing. The other two the last rib is a ways from the tip.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:59 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,798 Posts
The tip rib is likely to have an effect on roll, not quite sure what the effect is though but I would assume it increases the roll response to rudder input.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
Nice looking model! The funny part of it too is the full sized job builds just like a big model airplane kit!
scottieshea is offline Find More Posts by scottieshea