HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:54 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,524 Posts
Discussion
Anybody know anything about this wooden prop?

I recently picked up a couple of these wooden props on ebay. One is 8 1/2" and the other is 9". They have "Academy" stamped or stenciled on them.

Anybody know anything about them?
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2013, 02:32 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
478 Posts
These propellers could buy finished around 1940. They were made for rubber powered models. That's all I know. The props in the pictures I bought many years ago in a Model Shop liquidation.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Aug 06, 2013, 04:26 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,841 Posts
Sorry, pburress, I have no idea...

Here is another wooden (rubber) prop, that I picked up several years ago. So far I haven't been able to trace its origin......

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Aug 06, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 05:05 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,320 Posts
Made from Paulownia wood and usually made in Japan, You could still buy these in the early 50s. My Jasco (Jetco) kit had one in it in 1954. I have several in my collection and use them on my FF models. They make great props for CO2 motors (7 and 8 inch sizes). I have a 9 or 10 inch one on my 30 inch Pacific Ace and on my Jimmy Allen Parasol.
Pat
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Last edited by Pat Daily; Aug 06, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 05:13 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,483 Posts
Don't waste them, build something for them.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Aug 07, 2013, 02:17 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,524 Posts
Oh, I won't waste them! It just so happens that I am very near completion on a 24" Flying Aces Moth. Got the thrust bearing in the noseblock last night and about the only thing left is a propeller and some covering trim.

To hijack my own thread, would you suggest the 8/12" or the 9" for the 24" Moth? And while I'm at it, what would be good for rubber? Three loops of 1/8"?
Old Aug 07, 2013, 04:38 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburress View Post
Oh, I won't waste them! It just so happens that I am very near completion on a 24" Flying Aces Moth. Got the thrust bearing in the noseblock last night and about the only thing left is a propeller and some covering trim.

To hijack my own thread, would you suggest the 8/12" or the 9" for the 24" Moth? And while I'm at it, what would be good for rubber? Three loops of 1/8"?
I should think the 8.5in would be plenty big enough, and 4 strands X 10 grams of 1/8th rubber would be perfect. Don't forget to incorporate a freewheel.

My reasoning for this suggestion is that my 24in KK Achilles uses an 8in hand carved prop. with the rubber as suggested and flies so well it needs a DT.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Aug 07, 2013, 04:44 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,524 Posts
Thanks! Looks like tonight, I will be bending wire to make a freewheeler. Lots of firsts with the Moth.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 12:46 PM
Westminster,Ca.
Joined Feb 2006
44 Posts
My thoughts on prop size would be determined by pitch to match motor. These prefab props probably have anywhere from 1.2 to 1.3 inches of pitch. Using a ten gram motor (3 loops of 1/8th) which is about the maximum power for a Moth, I would start with a 9" prop but, that's just my experience.

Majestyk....
Majestyk is offline Find More Posts by Majestyk
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:53 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,524 Posts
Put to good use.

Thanks again for the input. The 8 1/2" prop is on the Flying Aces Moth. I first tried a plastic prop and it was very nose heavy. With the wood prop it's still nose heavy, but less so. The Moth had it's first flights tonight and prop did fine, and the airplane did too.

The propeller is unfinished- should it be finished or sealed?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
Roedermark, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
77 Posts
If the prop is truly "bare", a coat of two of some sort of sealer is adviseable. Moisture or a total lack of it can cause unpleasant issues (weight gain /loss) for the CG. Sealing the prop effectively reduces those issues. Also can help reduce chipping.

I also have two of the Aero Blitz props - 12" and the 6". Don't know whether I'll use them on anything, as they are a bit too heavy for my taste. Beautifully made, tho.

Pete
Dustbin is offline Find More Posts by Dustbin
Last edited by Dustbin; Aug 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
Westminster,Ca.
Joined Feb 2006
44 Posts
Great looking Moth. I would at least put a coat of dope or another product to add some sheen and strength. Keeping in mind you are already nose heavy. It's your call. How much rubber are you using for your motor?

Majestyk....
Majestyk is offline Find More Posts by Majestyk
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
Roedermark, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
77 Posts
Hey Pat,
is it the "Excellent" or the Aero Blitz that is made from Paulownia wood? I did a bit of fine balancing to the 12" AB, and it was like trying to work hardend steel...

Pete
Dustbin is offline Find More Posts by Dustbin
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,524 Posts
This motor is two loops of 1/8" which are about 1 1/3 times the nose to peg length. Modest, I know.

Actually I broke the motor after a few test flights so I will be making up another. I'm open to suggestions for a motor (three loops instead of two perhaps), keeping in mind that I want a solid performer, not necesarily a contest winner.

Any links to a good motor how-to page? Need to know the best way to do the knots etc.