HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:35 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,452 Posts
Discussion
Align ESC issues

Over 4 years ago I got my first CCPM heli -- an Align 500CF. Being new to helis I stuck with the stock Align gear, but in reading this forum I often came across adverse, though non-specific, comments about Align ESCs. But I can't find any specific complaint using the Search facility -- apart from one BEC burning out, possibly because of a servo failure -- so here's my story:

Two years ago, after burning out my motor because I forgot to hit throttle-hold when I landed sideways, I replaced the stock BL60G ESC, as a precaution, with a BL70G when I replaced the motor. About a year ago my heli developed an occasional tail-wag which I eventually realised was the ESC shutting down the motor momentarily. Replacing the one-year-old BL70G with the original BL60G cured it.

A couple of weeks ago my head speed sounded higher than normal, but I carried on flying until I lost power due to lvc about half a minute before my normal timed landing time. So that seemed to confirm that my ears were right about the head speed. Anyway, next flight the tail started wagging just like the other ESC had done, so I stopped flying. Replacing the ESC last week with an Eflite 80 cured the wag, confirming for me that it was an ESC issue, and not the motor, gyro, or tail servo.

So, for me, that's two Align ESCs failing in roughly the same way -- though I didn't have the initial increased head speed with the BL70G.

I'm still learning, so I have never done anything other than hovering and gentle forward flight. My Eagle Tree logger showed maximum amps were 20A, and average 11.1A, when I checked on a typical flight in June last year. I've ordered a CC Talon 90 to replace the Align ESC on my T-Rex 550e fbl before it gives any sign of trouble.

Neither of my ESCs smoked, and they both still work apart from the occasional glitch, so is my experience common, or when Align ESCs fail do they normally fail completely.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts