Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. As I said earlier, it's a fantastic looking plane in the air.
Just a bit more advanced than my trainers. ( Bixler 2 & Vector v-tail.)
It is just what I need to improve my skills.

Cheers.
Res7 is offline Find More Posts by Res7
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
I mixed in some rudder as was suggested and WOW did it make a difference.
Thanks so much for the advice.
I'm yet to get my takeoffs straight and clean, as I've been hand launching.
We have had a bit of rain and the field I fly at is about three inches long.
Once the council mows again I'll practice the rudder input.

Thanks again.
Res7 is offline Find More Posts by Res7
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2013
907 Posts
I'd like to pop in here with a question. When you talk of mixing, is that sometimes referred to as Delta Mixing.?? Do I need a digital transmitter that allows me to enter percentages.??

I have the Spektrum 4-channel transmitter that came with the Super Cub. It's the DX4e. Is there any reason I can't put a Spektrum AR400 reciever in the Monocoupe and fly with my transmitter.

I guess my question is, will the Monopoupe respond well with this transmitter.??

And, I'd like to learn more about mixing rates and exactly what options are needed. Do I need a DX6i transmitter to achieve mixing.??

I have a Monocoupe ordered. Durafly. It will be my second plane.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:55 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
I'd like to pop in here with a question. When you talk of mixing, is that sometimes referred to as Delta Mixing.?? Do I need a digital transmitter that allows me to enter percentages.??

I have the Spektrum 4-channel transmitter that came with the Super Cub. It's the DX4e. Is there any reason I can't put a Spektrum AR400 reciever in the Monocoupe and fly with my transmitter.

I guess my question is, will the Monopoupe respond well with this transmitter.??

And, I'd like to learn more about mixing rates and exactly what options are needed. Do I need a DX6i transmitter to achieve mixing.??

I have a Monocoupe ordered. Durafly. It will be my second plane.
You cannot mix electronically with the DX4e. You might be able to achieve some sort of mixing with an external mixer..but that is not relevant to the Monocoupe. The mixing that people are talking about..is mixing rudder, and aileron. When the ailerons deflect to initiate a turn to the right..adverse yaw effect makes the planes nose carry a little high and to the left. You must use rudder along with ailerons to achieve a coordinated turn..ie to make the plane track correctly through the turn. Mixing is not required..as you can simply just move the rudder manually as needed to achieve a coordinated turn. This takes some finesse..and most opt to mix it in to avoid having to deal with it. A lot of people just roll into the turn, then pull back on the stick to bring it around..that is "ok"..but it is not considered scale.(unless you are flying without a rudder, or with an edf jet or some other machine where speed is such that rudder is basically obsolete) Delta mixing..is called that because it is used where there is a delta wing that usually has no rudder and elevator(empanage) separate from the wing. The ailerons work as advertised to control roll, and they deflect together to control pitch. Basically in delta config..the ailerons pull double duty as elevators. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:31 PM
Getting good at foam repair
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Cubby has hit the nail on the head

"Mixing" just refers to the transmitter automatically moving the rudder for you when you input aileron movement.

You can fly fine by pushing a bit of rudder yourself. Or just fly normally, the plane will just look like it drags it's tail through the turn

G
GTrain is offline Find More Posts by GTrain
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
907 Posts
Excellent response guys. Thank you.!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:00 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
Excellent response guys. Thank you.!!
Just to be clear, adverse yaw happens in left and right turns. My example kinda made it sound like it was just for right turns.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
Little Butch at the National Air and Space Museum

look familiar?
keninvic is offline Find More Posts by keninvic
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
look familiar?
Awsome!!
meanangel is offline Find More Posts by meanangel
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Feb 2013
907 Posts
What a great picture.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:11 PM
Look out! Mayday! Mayday!
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Jan 2012
282 Posts
Just ordered mine... It's on backorder but it's to cold outside to fly anyways. I've read the thread and can't wait for the build. I'm sure all the knowledge gained from everyone that posted will make this an enjoyable experience.

Thanks for sharing with the community!

-John
Chingus is offline Find More Posts by Chingus
Last edited by Chingus; Feb 27, 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:10 AM
Watch out all you moles!
g'ville,fl
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
tail wheel set screw

It is fun to see people getting as excited about this plane as I am. It is such a basic airplane. Something about it is just so classy.

I am hoping someone can inform me as to the diameter and thread count of the set screw that holds the tail wheel to the collar on the rudder shaft.

Anyone?

Thanks for any help.
sky'hi' is offline Find More Posts by sky'hi'
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
RE: Tail wheel set screw

When I was trying to put on the tail wheel, I found out HK has the set screw in place when they mold the metal tube into the rudder pivot so the plastic won't get into the threads. It also makes the screw NOT want to come out to put the tail wheel in. I didn't realize it till I had glued the rudder and elevator in place and it was a real problem to get the screw out. I finally did and replaced it with a 2.5 x 4mm socket head screw from Dubro. I would strongly advise checking that screw BEFORE you cement the rudder on while you can still get at it.
Jims141 is offline Find More Posts by Jims141
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:01 PM
Australia, VIC, Torquay
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
HK just posted on twitter that a nice photo of the Monocoupe just won the Durafly Photo comp for February.

https://twitter.com/HobbyKingLive/st...668865/photo/1
stevehendo is offline Find More Posts by stevehendo
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:17 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
It is a nice looking plane! Can't wait to get mine airborne again!
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes