HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
Advantage Hobby problems?

Anyone had bad experiences with Advantage Hobby? Early last week I purchased a Multiplex FunCub and build parts from Advantage Hobby. I ordered the following:

FunCub
PowerPack (motor/esc/prop)
4 HS55 servos
2 HS81 servos
aluminum motor mount
50' roll of servo wire
extension cables,
y cable
cable plug
medium ca glue/accelerator w/pump

I received the package on Friday and inside was the plane, power pack, 2- T28 cowls and a bag with the CA glue/accelerator, but nothing else. I contacted AH and told them that I had checked all packaging and it was missing the servos, wire, motormount, etc. They replied and told me to check the FunCub box (which I told them in the original email I had done). I rechecked everything and the parts were nowhere in the packaging, obviously. I emailed them this morning and asked that they please expedite the parts to me. They replied with the following:

Quote:
Dear Bob;
I pulled the hard copy of your order today.

As with all orders, your order was pulled by 1 employee, and checked by a separate employee when packed.

The hard copy record for your order that we have shows that each of the 2 employees checked off on every single item in your order.

I also checked on your shipment via UPS, and it was for 1 box, with a total weight of 9lbs.

The 9lb weight would also indicate that all of the items should have been included with your shipment.

Based on this, we are reasonably sure that every item you ordered was packed, and shipped complete with your order.

If you still feel that you did not receive all of your items, we would then request that you send us detailed photos of the items you received, as well as photos of the shipping carton that the order was packed in....

Hopefully, you have found the missing items in your order by this time.

Thanks in advance Bob.

Best Regards,
Len Sabato
Advantage Hobby
So I take it that they are accusing me of trying to scam them? That is over $100 worth of parts. i sent them the photos they requested, but at this point, i'm tempted to just box it all up and send it back and deny charges on my Visa. i've never had any vendor act in such a way before...am I wrong in being really angry about this?
offcamber is offline Find More Posts by offcamber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,157 Posts
Sounds like shipping labels might have been switched.
Hopefully the person that received your order calls in.
I've had a few missing/wrong/damaged parts and the companies always took my word for it.

Good luck.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
I've bought many times from Advantage Hobby in the past and consider them an honest and reputable vendor.

I'm sure they are just finding it hard to believe, since there's so many items missing.

With as many missing items as you've said and the order doesn't really even match yours, (you didn't order the cowls), they must of mess up with the shipping labels. Perhaps hit them up with that, and have them go through their orders to see who ordered the cowls along with the fun cub.

Hopefully they straighten things out....$100 is pretty penny to lose. But yep, I'm with you, if they refuse to work with you, just ship what you got back and do a charge-back.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
No i did order the cowls, they are for my T-28 (seems to be the most common broken part for me). The invoice in the box was correct and listed everything I ordered, but the parts are not there.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
No i did order the cowls, they are for my T-28 (seems to be the most common broken part for me). The invoice in the box was correct and listed everything I ordered, but the parts are not there.
Oh...i didn't see it in your first post...just a thought:

FunCub
PowerPack (motor/esc/prop)
4 HS55 servos
2 HS81 servos
aluminum motor mount
50' roll of servo wire
extension cables,
y cable
cable plug
medium ca glue/accelerator w/pump

does the box look like it's been run over by a train or does the box look like it's been opened?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Now that changes my theory...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
The box was fine, no damage. There was no way for anything to fall out. If it was ever in the box, someone would have had to have cut the tape and resealed it. This is the first plane I've ever built. Until now i've just had bind-n-flys so I was a little nervous about doing this to begine with. A question though? While at the local hobby store over the weekend, they had the same servos I ordered but they were in plastic boxes (hitec HS81 and HS55's). Would the ones I ordered be in boxes or just bags like OEM parts tend to come in? At any rate, I opened the package on the livingroom floor and there was no way they were in the box and I would think that they would be big enough (with packaging) that they wouldn't be easy to overlook?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,157 Posts
I don't ever remember a servo packed in a box, usually in a small plastic bag with horns.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Sorry If I missed it but did you lift the Canopy and look there?
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
I can see why Advantage would have a cow over sending replacement parts if they have a 2 employee check and balance system like they claim (who knows, that might just be a PR thing). From their point of view, you're pulling a fast one on them and getting free servos.

From your side, I can't see how you could miss that many part if the box is completely untouched and sealed and given you're honest about it.

Well, sorry, but I'm out of ideas, so hope you get it sorted out.

Again, Advantage is really a good vendor...done about 10 or so orders with them within the last 5 years or so.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
I could see if the servos were in a small bag but there is also a 50' roll of servo wire which I'm assuming would be bigger than a roll of electrical tape? This is my 6th order with them this year and I've never had a problem. It's definitely my biggest order but I thought it would be easier to get everything from one place. The sad thing is that my kid checked for the box every day, waiting for UPS and then we weren't able to build it over the weekend. Now I'm wondering if I just box it up and ship it back and order everything from Tower Hobbies?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:34 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,060 Posts
Several orders with Advantage over the last couple of years, and only one problem. They transposed a number on some JR stuff, and sent the wrong items. They immediately rectified the situation and told me to keep the wrong items. I had no use for them and returned them at my expense, for which I received a very nice email. Try contacting Len, the owner directly by phone. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
I've been talking with Len. He thinks that maybe the box was damaged and UPS repacked it into a different box and in the process parts were lost. It sounds pretty improbably to me, but I'm not going to argue, I just know that they weren't there when I opened it. He's been nice but the originating tone was that it was my mistake. I'm not used to a merchant just calling me an idiot (in so many words) right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
Several orders with Advantage over the last couple of years, and only one problem. They transposed a number on some JR stuff, and sent the wrong items. They immediately rectified the situation and told me to keep the wrong items. I had no use for them and returned them at my expense, for which I received a very nice email. Try contacting Len, the owner directly by phone. Roy
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Yeah, the fact that you didn't list the cowls concerns me a little. And, I have reread his letter, and I can't find fault with it. I think you're being a bit too sensitive.

Why don't you package everything back up and weigh it. If it weighs 9lbs, you will have strengthened your case.

Otherwise, due to their redundant checklist system, I would say it's going to be difficult for you to prevail. However, I believe a case like this calls for a nicely worded letter from a manager with a generous discount offer on your next order. They have kinda opened the door for this with the UPS scenario, so hopefully they will come through on that.

Good Luck.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes