Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer F3J View Post
When installing my new X 2 I have noticed that there is play between the wingjoiners and the wings, there is still someone who has this problem??
Why don't we get those stripe's in the US?
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:23 PM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Aalst
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Why don't we get those stripe's in the US?
We order directly from Nan models and so we get what we ask colors and stripes or whatever you want

See pictures of Xplorer2 from a friend !!!
xplorer F3J is offline Find More Posts by xplorer F3J
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:19 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
We order directly from Nan models and so we get what we ask colors and stripes or whatever you want

See pictures of Xplorer2 from a friend !!!
Wow! That looks awesome!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,502 Posts
Bob at SUSA will be happy to order custom colors for you. You just have to wait the extra time to have that model built.

Also, to the poster who questioned the joiner fit, there is some amount of thermal expansion that will play into the slop seen in wing joiners. If it is room temperature in your shop, in the summer time the joiners will likely be quite a bit tighter in the sun.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:25 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,931 Posts
Xplorers

Howdy;

Aaron called it, EXACTLY spot on...

Best,
Bob
Bro is online now Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Bob at SUSA will be happy to order custom colors for you. You just have to wait the extra time to have that model built.

Also, to the poster who questioned the joiner fit, there is some amount of thermal expansion that will play into the slop seen in wing joiners. If it is room temperature in your shop, in the summer time the joiners will likely be quite a bit tighter in the sun.
Hi We have also almost five months to wait before delivery !!! :-(
And yeah in summer when wings are heated up would be better !!!

But it was still a shock when I saw how much play on the wing tips and center part

I had already thought about the end of the joiner a layer of glue to submit to it a little thicker
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,909 Posts
Quote:
Hi We have also almost five months to wait before delivery !!! :-(
And yeah in summer when wings are heated up would be better !!!

But it was still a shock when I saw how much play on the wing tips and center part

I had already thought about the end of the joiner a layer of glue to submit to it a little thicker
The thermal comments are really quite practical - assess this in flying conditions before you adjust it.

NOT GLUE! -

Use wax or something you can tune/remove. Carbon sands MUCH easier than glue so if yo use glue you will invariably be sanding away some needed carbon if and when you need to remove some glue for a perfect fit. Keep in mind that the play might be at the ends of the joiner boxes with the entrances being a perfect fit - use glue and you might not get past that part...
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
The thermal comments are really quite practical - assess this in flying conditions before you adjust it.

NOT GLUE! -

Use wax or something you can tune/remove. Carbon sands MUCH easier than glue so if yo use glue you will invariably be sanding away some needed carbon if and when you need to remove some glue for a perfect fit. Keep in mind that the play might be at the ends of the joiner boxes with the entrances being a perfect fit - use glue and you might not get past that part...
Yeah you're right the play is not on the entrance bud on the end of the joiner boxes , and if you swapping the joiner from left to right and turnover you can find find a lesser clearance as you already suggested thanks bro !!! and i wil try soms wax !!

The CG for the new X2 wil be the same as the X1 ???
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
783 Posts
The absolute best semi-permanent solution to joiner wiggle is a trick I picked up from Tony Kilwein: use 1mil 1/2" Kapton tape (~$9 from Amazon). The tape material is very dense and highly thermally stable but its thickness is consistently precise. Including the silicon adhesive the tape is 2.7mil thick.

I had to use it on both my Xplorers to eliminate the joiner wiggle. On my X1-3.8 it took a piece on both the top and bottom of the wingtip-side of the joiner while on the main wing panel side it only took one piece on top of the joiner. Now it's a nice snug fit with zero movement.

As to thermal changes in the clearance I have not found temp to change the fit with the Kapton tape (or without).

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,502 Posts
Kapton tape is very handy, as is "Flash Breaker" tape...the blue stuff. A well equipped garage should have both of these items.

Personally I just use a wipe of thin CA to build up a joiner if needed.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:26 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Ok, one 3.8 X2 completed.

MKS 6125 for Flaps
MKS 6125 Mini for Ail
JR 3517 for Ele
Atx 94809 Rud
CG 120.
Before and after weights. Maiden tomorrow at local park.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Thanks for the weights. I am going to build a 4.0 x2 and will do the same thing you did here. I just hope putting 2the servos in the center section doesn't feild a 4 oz increase.

Joe
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post
Thanks for the weights. I am going to build a 4.0 x2 and will do the same thing you did here. I just hope putting 2the servos in the center section doesn't feild a 4 oz increase.

Joe
It'll be close. 2 servos and frames, linkages, db9 connector and all that wiring and more connectors, servo covers and epoxy.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:31 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post

Joe
I just finished my 4.0 wing - will take that and stick it on the SL fuse I have in Phoenix - I only have a sport tube and I dont want to chance the new fuse getting the fin smashed as its a tight fit in a sport tube.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:09 AM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,615 Posts
Get rid of that DB9, you can save some more weight there.
Site Sponsor