HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
I'm in!! Just what I've been waiting for - a scale UM Cub with flaps, floats - and AS3X!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:05 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
i need this too
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
Ah, more stuff to bug the bride with...

The Cub looks nice, but at 90 grams, I'd need a pretty good size indoor space to keep it in the air.

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Just my 2 cents here, but I just don't get why all the fuss over the gyro thing...all they're doing is smartening up the plane to dumb down the pilot. If you need a gyro to fly any size Cub, you shouldn't be flying. Again, just my 2 cents, but the pilots not learning to handle a plane properly if the gyro is going to do all the correcting for the pilot in windy or rough conditions...no true skills learned or needed now.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
111 Posts
It just makes it fun. If you want the plane to be bounced around all over the place in the wind just because it's a micro then don't buy one with as3x. I think it's great tech that allows a small plane to handle like a big one.
rcninja is offline Find More Posts by rcninja
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:11 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
Just my 2 cents here, but I just don't get why all the fuss over the gyro thing...all they're doing is smartening up the plane to dumb down the pilot. If you need a gyro to fly any size Cub, you shouldn't be flying. Again, just my 2 cents, but the pilots not learning to handle a plane properly if the gyro is going to do all the correcting for the pilot in windy or rough conditions...no true skills learned or needed now.
Gyros extend the range of conditions under which you can fly.

Years ago I stuck a single gyro in my pico Tiger Moth to try to get better video. Worked WAY better than I expected and I've flown that moth in some horrendous conditions. I did lose my first one. But the second has more air time than just about anything I've owned. Check my blog. There are links to videos there.

There are also pictures of it on the workbench after Ernesto decided that I was trying to belittle him by flying a nine ounce foamy.

Edit: Ask my club mates about me flying my Sukhoi (no gyros) when some of the quarter scale guys were afraid to take their planes out of their cars! Hey, maybe some of those guys can join me now that we got gyros in the small planes!

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:26 PM
Let's get low, let's get fast.
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2009
311 Posts
Absolutely awesome.

I'm passing on the Beast (been there, done that) and the Gee Bee (in my opinion one of the ugliest planes ever, and so hard to fly Jimmy Doolittle called it a "death trap" after the '32 Bendix Trophy, AS3X be damned) and buying all three of these new guys.

I wish this had came out sooner, it would have been a blast to fly this at night and off the snow with the floats.

I almost bought cub parts to make a custom 4ch over the winter.... I'm glad I didn't
kilgore_trout is offline Find More Posts by kilgore_trout
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
This is so incredibly awesome! I was going to mod my Champ with a brushless Beast motor and ESC, but now I don't have to!

The street I live on has wind going right down the center of it in one direction. I remember flying the Champ towards me and the thing didn't want to land; and that was at 1/4 throttle in a semi hover!

Imagine what this little guy will do with Flaperons enabled in those conditions! I feel like a kid in a candy store.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1 View Post
This is so incredibly awesome! I was going to mod my Champ with a brushless Beast motor and ESC, but now I don't have to!

The street I live on has wind going right down the center of it in one direction. I remember flying the Champ towards me and the thing didn't want to land; and that was at 1/4 throttle in a semi hover!

Imagine what this little guy will do with Flaperons enabled in those conditions! I feel like a kid in a candy store.
It has actual flaps - not flaperons.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
Southernmd_man,

I learned to fly in crosswinds & gusty conditions during my first year of flying RC, 28 years ago. I am not missing out on any learning experience. I simply want a full-featured, scale UM Super Cub with floats & flaps that flies more like my 1/4-scale Super Cub than a micro. Since it happens to have a tow-hook, I'll have to pick up the scale ASK-21 UM sailplane so I'll have something to tow.

Remember - AS3X is a 3-axis damping system. It doesn't fly the plane. If you don't know how to do a maneuver, you still won't be able to do it with AS3X. You still have to learn crosswind landing techniques, such as the crosswind-crab, forward slip, and side-slip. AS3X just makes it feel more like a 60-size plane than a 2 oz micro.

Horizon is using AS3X to make these scale UM ships behave more like their large-scale counterparts - not to "dumb down the pilot", as you so delicately put it.

Why do many large-scale pilots stay away from micros? Because the micros are usually twitchy, hard to fly, and they don't behave anything like "real planes". Now, even the giant-scale guys will be able to handle a UM plane in moderate winds. Plus, the planes can be tuned to have many of the handling characteristics of their larger-scale counterparts. Traditionally, we seasoned UM pilots & CP heli pilots have been the only ones who've had the quick reflexes required to fly 1-2 oz planes in 10-20 MPH winds. By making it a bit easier for the large/giant-scale crowd, hopefully we will see an influx of newcomers to the UM side of the hobby who want detailed, full-featured UM ships - as many of those who came from the large-scale side of the hobby do (myself included).

In a way - I guess you're right. The giant-scale crowd will be able to simply pick one of these up & fly it in the wind - without having to learn the hard stuff that the rest of us who have been flying UM planes for years had to learn. I think it will be a good thing in the long run, though. Hopefully, it will spur the development of many detailed, full-featured, true-scale micros with flaps, retracts, swing-wings, multiple engines, thrust-vectoring, etc. - that fly more like their large-scale counterparts. We all win in the end!

Since the beginning of the hobby, the holy grail of RC pilots has been to have models that fly like full-scale planes. "Bigger flies better" is the primary reason that large & giant-scale aircraft exist. Now, we can have what nearly every RC'er has dreamed about since childhood - full-house planes that can fly in the backyard, with flight-behaviors that are similar to their large-scale (or even full-scale) counterparts. I have been waiting for this since I was a grade-school kid back in the mid-60s - building & flying free-flight kits....wishing that I could control my planes while walking alongside them. I dreamed of full-house warbirds, g/a planes, and aerobatic ships that I could fly in the yard. This stuff is a dream come true!!

The only reason I started flying giant-scale 20 years ago is because I prefer models that fly like their full-scale counterparts. If I could fly scale ships in my backyard that behave similar to their large-scale brethren, I would have little reason to spend all of that money on giant-scale! I see no downside, here!

Fly-by-wire, on-board telemetry, integrated FPV - bring on the technology! I have absolutely no desire to return to the old days. I've been there, and things weren't all that rosy.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It has actual flaps - not flaperons.

Joel
It always amuses me the number of people that get in the forums and spout off about how wonderful their flaperons are going to be. I have never seen one of them come back later and say, "I tried my flaperons today and the wing tip stalled and I crashed it into a 1000 pieces".
rant over
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:18 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Wow! I was just looking at the carbon cub website 2 days ago. Pretty cool what they are doing remaking the cubs.

For $134K you can buy one built.
Let's go in for a group buy. : )
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Turbo, Well said. My sentiments also. I build and maintain for 2 of us so when I go indoor flying I carry one plastic storage box with eight planes. Eight gassers would take a van or larger vehicle to transport. I love these Micros.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
After just now watching the video I am going to have to share one of my pet peeves.

It seems that every manufacturer video shows the high wing monoplanes flying like they are rockets with all the aerobatic maneuvers. While that is cool and all, it would be nice to see them fly slow in a scale like fashion. Just about any plane can be flown fast, but not many can be flown slow. To be fair, it does look like the conditions might have been windy.

Also on the models with flaps, they rarely show them being used. It did look like maybe once or twice on takeoffs they were being used because it jumped into the air, but that also can happen when it is windy. And on one landing they were probably used, but no slow fly bys. Plenty of rocket ship fly bys.

Check out Banana Hobby Cessna videos and even the Hobbico Cessna video. Flaps are mentioned as a selling point but don't seem to be used much. The review here on the e-zone of the Hobbico Cessna does show it being slowed down on a lot of low passes by the flaps in the video and that is what I like.

It is an awesome little plane, but I'll wait to see how much she can slow down first. Plus the lower the speed the smaller area it can fly in.

I know this is a rant of mine, but does anyone else feel the same way?
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
After just now watching the video I am going to have to share one of my pet peeves.

It seems that every manufacturer video shows the high wing monoplanes flying like they are rockets with all the aerobatic maneuvers. While that is cool and all, it would be nice to see them fly slow in a scale like fashion. Just about any plane can be flown fast, but not many can be flown slow. To be fair, it does look like the conditions might have been windy.
thats why people love seeing my videos of me reviewing and flying them i'm more like the "average pilot" here have a look if you haven't already

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckTSeeker?feature=mhee

boy i hope i get a pre release cub to try out i will be buying this one and the UMX ASK-21, what a great combo

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker