HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:25 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Alert
Houston Astros to move to American League?

Interesting. I wish they would get a real commissioner, instead of an owner/advocate (wink wink). It was Bud Selig who moved the Brewers to the National league and his daughter (wink wink) owns the Brewers now.

Other than I hate the DH with a passion, and I am sure most NL fans do, which includes most Houston fans, I bet, this means 15 teams per league, rather than the current 16/14. This means interleague play every day of the season, as there would always be one odd team out with an odd number per league. I am not a big fan of interleague play either. It is inherent to an unfair scheduling, as one team in a division might play the worst team in the league while another plays the Yankees or Rangers. There is also the issue of running up against teams that are hot, or not hot, and that not balancing out over the length of the season the way it should with a more balanced schedule. But I digress...

The positive for Houston, or negative, depending on how you look at it would be a natural rivalry with the Rangers, as they would both be in the Western division. But for the fans, it also means most of the road games will be on the west coast, and a two hour time difference, meaning games lasting past midnight Houston time.

The move is said to be a condition the commissioner is going to put on the impending sale, which is still not a sure thing. The news will be one way or the other soon though, as the current offer expires Nov. 30. Complicating this is the potential buyer is hinting at a price reduction due to the required league change.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:59 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Crane made his offer of $680M before the Astros lost 108 games. The $70M discount he gets (half from the seller, half from MLB) is probably less than he deserves. Selig should have mentioned the league change long ago; he delayed approval of the sale for months while the Lastros spiraled in, then popped up with this new requirement for the sale. Not operating in good faith, IMO.
The Brewers were AL, should be AL, Astros should stay NL, alas it is not to be.
Plenty of ex Astros who are now fans (including Lance Berkman) are very unhappy with
this move.
Crane must really want a baseball team.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon