Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:22 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
I am looking at ways to strengthen the tail and horizontal stab of my Easystar I as it gets easily damaged while transporting. I have taped 2 BBQ sticks as the horiz stab was warped. The tail (vertical stab) is not exactly perpendicular to the fuse. Anyone know of a "lightweight" solution to keep it perfectly vertical. Perhaps right angled CF brackets that no one makes..
I built about 15 of those. The H-stab is usually shaped like a smile. It never seemed to matter though. I never had a problem with the fin but I always cut the rudder off, including the bit of fin above the rudder, and made a balsa rudder that was larger.

I would just fly it.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I built about 15 of those. The H-stab is usually shaped like a smile. It never seemed to matter though. I never had a problem with the fin but I always cut the rudder off, including the bit of fin above the rudder, and made a balsa rudder that was larger.

I would just fly it.
The H-Stab had a crack on it. The last flight I had with it was really tough for handling till I found out what was wrong.

As far as the rudder is concerned in calm weather just a touch is enough to turn the ezy* around. Perhaps a larger rudder is more useful in windy conditions.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
The H-Stab had a crack on it. The last flight I had with it was really tough for handling till I found out what was wrong.

As far as the rudder is concerned in calm weather just a touch is enough to turn the ezy* around. Perhaps a larger rudder is more useful in windy conditions.
This is the ES 2 thread. Would you consider moving the ES 1 discussion to avoid misleading newcomers?

The ES 2 doesn't need a larger rudder as it has already been enlarged compared to the ES 1 and because ailerons are present.

That said, I have enlarged the rudder of my ES 1 by taping (both sides) a thin (0.8mm?) piece of Lexan sheet to the existing rudder and stiffened it with a needle. Very lightweight, fully symmetrical, and almost invisible. I find the larger rudder especially useful in slow flight and in gliding.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:22 PM
Huntington Beach CA
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
"That said" I don't think I would have encouraged the conversation by adding your comments on extending the rudder, which is well discussed in the proper EZ1 forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
This is the ES 2 thread. Would you consider moving the ES 1 discussion to avoid misleading newcomers?

The ES 2 doesn't need a larger rudder as it has already been enlarged compared to the ES 1 and because ailerons are present.

That said, I have enlarged the rudder of my ES 1 by taping (both sides) a thin (0.8mm?) piece of Lexan sheet to the existing rudder and stiffened it with a needle. Very lightweight, fully symmetrical, and almost invisible. I find the larger rudder especially useful in slow flight and in gliding.
socalsteve is offline Find More Posts by socalsteve
Last edited by socalsteve; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
Didnt notice ther backorder, sorry about that. They say mid feb but who knows. Another retailer may have it in stock. Google is your friend!
Everyone is back ordered and I just realized the RR version is only compatible with Hitec transmitters.
mgreinke is offline Find More Posts by mgreinke
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
235 Posts
I bought both the HiTec Skyscout and the Multiplex EZS2 kits that should be in identical and are thus far except for their COG differences in their build books. I also bought the following to power them;
2x #NTM2826-1200/26820 NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w (USA Warehouse) = $30.38
2x #TAE-20A/28122 Turnigy AE-20A Brushless ESC (USA Warehouse) = $18.18
I'll be running the birds from a 3C 2200 battery.
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Now I'm thoroughly confused about the Skyscout RR. According to the specs it needs a Hitec transmitter. So why would Spektrum be promoting the Skyscout?

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=HRC13207
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:21 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
235 Posts
Slow your roll captain. 1st and foremost Spectrum has nothing to do with the affair The available RR Hi-Teck examples will be here soon. Whats your craziness?
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:58 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreinke View Post
Now I'm thoroughly confused about the Skyscout RR. According to the specs it needs a Hitec transmitter. So why would Spektrum be promoting the Skyscout?

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=HRC13207
Good point!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:48 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
I read somewhere that the EZII kit comes with two collets for the prop adapter, one 3.0 mm and one 3.175 mm. Mine came with two but both are two small for my motor with a 3.175 mm shaft. Can anyone confirm these collet sizes and if this is true does anyone have the 3.175 collet they would sell me?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
I read somewhere that the EZII kit comes with two collets for the prop adapter, one 3.0 mm and one 3.175 mm. Mine came with two but both are two small for my motor with a 3.175 mm shaft....
Are you sure your motor has a 3.175 mm (= 1/8") shaft? Some chinese motors have 3.2 mm shafts - despite being advertised as 1/8".

Jürgen.
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:56 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Are you sure your motor has a 3.175 mm (= 1/8") shaft? Some chinese motors have 3.2 mm shafts - despite being advertised as 1/8".

Jürgen.
I am not sure. Now I wish I had a micrometer.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:51 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B dog View Post
Slow your roll captain....
haha - made me think of my latest Mini SkyWalker FPV flight. This roll came out of nowhere:

how to roll FPV-style (0 min 0 sec)
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B dog View Post
Slow your roll captain. 1st and foremost Spectrum has nothing to do with the affair The available RR Hi-Teck examples will be here soon. Whats your craziness?
Love the statement but if you clicked on the link youd see that Spektrum is very much involved. No worries cause if you are correct that a RR Spektrum version of the EZ*2 or Skyscout are just around the corner then all is good. Just havent seen evidence of such.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:32 AM
UK, West Sussex, Worthing
Joined Oct 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreinke View Post
Love the statement but if you clicked on the link youd see that Spektrum is very much involved. No worries cause if you are correct that a RR Spektrum version of the EZ*2 or Skyscout are just around the corner then all is good. Just havent seen evidence of such.
you are right that is totally bizarre.

I cant even see why Spektrum would promote Hi-Tec stuff, they are direct competitors? or do Hitec make spektrum servos?

this is like reading about a parkzone BNF model on a futaba page...

/Steve
worthingsteve is offline Find More Posts by worthingsteve